Author Topic: Replacement for TomTom 520  (Read 1375 times)

Replacement for TomTom 520
« on: 10 October, 2019, 06:57:55 pm »
This is for driving. I've got a TomTom 520 which is supposed to connect to my phone via bluetooth to get traffic updates. Once in a while it does. Most of last week it worked, then on Monday it didn't. After looking a forums, several other users had the same problem, and many of the fixes seem to be along the lines of try to connect again. After one of those, mine connected this morning, but not this evening. It connects to bluetooth reliably, but only for hands free and phone notifications which I don't want. I think it needs the app on the iPhone to work, and that app always sees the current traffic conditions, so quite why the traffic data can't make it from the phone to the sat nav is a mystery.

I've had a fruitless discussion with TomTom helldesk. In the end they told me that it only connects through WiFi, so I can have my phone flat by the time I get to work and it will have used all my data if an update is needed.

(Any offers that go some of the way to covering the cost of postage will be accepted. The Brodit mount is included.)

I've been looking at Garmins, but any suggestions would be welcome. I want it to do the basic sat nav stuff with live traffic, and to show the current GPS speed.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Re: Replacement for TomTom 520
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:18:01 pm »
A TomTom Go?

Or....Our pick of the best sat navs to buy today
TomTom Go Premium. The smartest sat nav on the market. ...
  • Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S. The best sat nav from Garmin. ...
  • TomTom GO 6200. Fully featured and can take you anywhere. ...
  • Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D. ...
  • TomTom GO Via 53. ...
  • TomTom Via 62. ...
  • Mio MiVue Drive 65 LM. ...
  • Garmin Zumo 396.

[/size]More items...

26 Jun 2019