Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941923 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9225 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:57:17 pm »
Two men went to war

Never heard of it but the description was that it was a heartwarming nearly true tale. Which it was. Started a bit slow, but ended well.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #9226 on: 01 January, 2021, 08:39:16 pm »
The Boat. Trying to stumble into another episode of our disaster-quest, but again a misstep into an actual movie. Basically, a man gets trapped in a toilet on an abandoned yacht. There are some other things.

Actually, quite good. It's a trimmed-down version of Triangle, which I also really enjoyed.

I'm hoping for a proper shit film tonight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9227 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:42:48 pm »
A Gift from Bob

Not a pink hat, but a Christmas themed film by Bob the Street Cat, sadly his last.

I liked it but it had a kitteh in it, so what's not to like?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9228 on: 02 January, 2021, 07:23:11 am »
On German Prime we watched a film called T34 about a Russian tank crew and their battle against an German tank commander. It was much better than we thought, even funny in places, although the unnecessary love interest was a bit of a time-waste. If it’s available on UK Prime then I’d say it was worth it for a bIt of escapism and some good tank warfare scenes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9229 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:17:17 am »
Von Ryan's Express (again), possibly my favourite fictional war film.  Sinatra had the wisdom to change the ending to ensure there could never be a crappy sequel.  The over-excitable Italian train driver is good.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9230 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:56:32 pm »
War Games yesterday on some TV channel or other. Hollywood OS at its finest.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #9231 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:03:49 pm »
Tenet.

I enjoy films that that you get more out of on a second watch.   ;)  Tenet is a tad inacessible in the earlier parts of the film, as things gradually become 'clearer' - I guess that's part of it all anyway.   Definitely don't watch if you're tired.  Funny that Robert Pattinson didn't understand it, while he was actually in filming.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9232 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:49:18 pm »
Cold War

Polish film with several layered story lines, set (obv.) in the years following WW2.

If you are happy with subtitles, B/W*, folk music, jazz, then I highly recommend this.

* - this film has the best black and white I've seen on any film made post-1965, it's truly gorgeous.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9233 on: 03 January, 2021, 01:50:12 pm »
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Needs no other explanation
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9234 on: 03 January, 2021, 01:56:49 pm »
Lot of bogus journeys going on!  It's Sunday afternoon; traffic outside our house is nose-to-tail with people taking "only necessary" trips.  It's usually much quieter.

« Reply #9235 on: 03 January, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
Cold War

Polish film with several layered story lines, set (obv.) in the years following WW2.

If you are happy with subtitles, B/W*, folk music, jazz, then I highly recommend this.

* - this film has the best black and white I've seen on any film made post-1965, it's truly gorgeous.

A very good film. I saw it a couple of years ago.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9236 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:01:04 pm »
Lot of bogus journeys going on!  It's Sunday afternoon; traffic outside our house is nose-to-tail with people taking "only necessary" trips.  It's usually much quieter.
I see what you did there  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9237 on: 03 January, 2021, 11:22:19 pm »
Something about potato pies and book clubs, with Lily Allen in it.

It was very sad in parts and she never sang any of her hits, so I’ve popped it in the “must watch again sometime” bin.

« Reply #9238 on: 04 January, 2021, 07:48:24 am »
We watched Parasite yesterday too. Strange segue from farce to dark and not funny anymore...
Because of parenting and second-fix plumbing responsibilities, we only watch half an hour or so each evening, so finished Parasite yesterday!  Dark indeed!

rob

« Reply #9239 on: 04 January, 2021, 08:01:42 am »
Started on Marvel from scratch again.  J insisting we do them chronologically so we did the excellent Captain Marvel second.

« Reply #9240 on: 04 January, 2021, 08:34:18 am »

It was very sad in parts and she never sang any of her hits, so I’ve popped it in the “must watch again sometime” bin.

Even as a book it was tosh. I daren't try the film- too eyebrow.

ian

« Reply #9241 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:52:51 am »
Finally, another proper disaster-quester. Sink Hole.

Utterly awful in that strange compelling way many of these movies are. Start with a hilarious hot hair balloon versus powerlines in what must have been the worst ever attempt to protest against fracking. Three people in a balloon with a small sign who promptly crash. Fracking, yes, town-destroying sinkholes, you know the score, but trust me they didn't have the special effects budget. There's a bad guy running the fracking operation and, bless, Eric Roberts as the corrupt sheriff who promptly forgets he's corrupt.

Cue school bus full of American teenage stereotypes. Except they're never teenagers in films like this, they're usually in their late twenties, which they were, and it makes it all the more peculiar. When one of the 'teenagers' asks another why she's not in her uniform the correct answer should have been 'because I'm 28 and it would be uncomfortably weird.' The most annoying 'kids' at least die quickly from acute stupid. It's still not quick enough.

So, kids down a hole, oh noes. How do we save them? Not with anything fancy like ropes and helicopters, no no no. Remember that hot air balloon? Fortunately, our lead character is still dragging it around hitched to the back of her truck (why? – this is precisely why, you never know when you'll need an emergency hot air balloon).

So, our heroine pilots her hot hair balloon into the sinkhole. I'll confess that I don't know much about the practical mechanics of hot air balloon operation but I don't think they work like that. Anyway, there are only two kids left, stupidity is a killer, so she loads them into her balloon but wait, hold on, didn't she crash this very balloon into the powerlines? Yes she did. Did she fix it? No. It's leaking and – oh thrice no – it's run out of gas. It's too heavy to get out of the hole. Who's going to get left behind? (They could just get rid of the clearly visible sandbags.)

It turns out this little drama is resolved by simply having the balloon emerge unexplained with all still aboard. I felt a bit cheated by this, it's basically like everyone sat around and couldn't figure out a way out of this particular dilemma so opted not to bother. If there was an explanation, it ended up on the cutting room floor.

So yes, it's a terrible thing. The annoying teenagers were a standout, 'jocks' really do say 'dweeb' in movies like this and they at least had the sense to die through satisfying outbreaks of stupid. The plot was anaemic and nonsensical but featured a hot air balloon and the sort of terrible CGI that I love. The lead actress could, at least, actually act and acting is never a given in movies like this. We all have bills to pay.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9242 on: 04 January, 2021, 11:29:21 am »
Generic American teens (rich, spoilt, bitchy, perfect hair and teeth) are vital to all disaster and horror films.  They're the equivalent of green-blooded zombies in shoot-em-up computer games: they allow an engagingly high body count because no-one cares when they get eaten/crushed/minced/chainsawed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9243 on: 04 January, 2021, 12:34:19 pm »
Generic American teens (rich, spoilt, bitchy, perfect hair and teeth) are vital to all disaster and horror films.  They're the equivalent of green-blooded zombies in shoot-em-up computer games: they allow an engagingly high body count because no-one cares when they get eaten/crushed/minced/chainsawed.

So true.

« Reply #9244 on: 04 January, 2021, 01:05:57 pm »
I had a long Zwift ride to do on Sunday so I watched This.
It was every bit as bad as you think it would be. Also, the Ozzies have noticeably yellower teeth than the USAnians. Eeeewww.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #9245 on: 04 January, 2021, 05:49:14 pm »
Ill met by moonlight chosen by running time to match my 3x25' turbo session.

Not particularly fast paced so easy to keep up with the story line even when the going was got tough.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9246 on: 04 January, 2021, 06:25:48 pm »

Even as a book it was tosh. I daren't try the film- too eyebrow.
A bit too Roger Moore-y?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #9247 on: 05 January, 2021, 09:34:56 am »
Started on Marvel from scratch again.  J insisting we do them chronologically so we did the excellent Captain Marvel second.

First Iron man enjoyable, Iron Man 2 a bit meh.

Thor last night still excellent.   Kenneth Branagh direction adds the right amount of thesp.

Avengers tonight.

« Reply #9248 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:58:54 am »
Thor last night still excellent.

Agreed.

The Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan, lighthearted feelgood rom-com. Very good. A bit slow to start and I was close to switching off but last 2/3's were excellent.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9249 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:16:39 am »
Fell off the end of the Smileys last night. Feeling bereft. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight