Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253647 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:20:47 am »
I do understand the mechanics and best way(s) to lose weight....  ::-)

I just like to vent my frustrations that it's not coming off quicker.  Better to vent than store it all up, which may lead to binge snacking in a moment of frustration...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #201 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:28:59 am »
Vent away, Reg, vent away..............
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #202 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:30:09 am »
Venting is good.
Getting there...

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #203 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
Specially when you are a geezer......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Regulator

« Reply #204 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:18:44 pm »
I was dreading yesterday's weigh in as I've been pigging out a bit.

But I had lost a pound!   :thumbsup: ;D

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #205 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:27:45 pm »
Long rides do not do it because you then need the extra fuel to keep you  going.

They can, if you keep the pace down.  As Greenbank said, the key is to go slow enough to run on the fat reserves (mostly) and not glycogen.  It takes a bit of build-up, but it is possible to ride 200 k on no food.

You made need to look at high aerobic fat burning sessions (which I hate)

Fat-burning sessions are long, steady and slow.  A hour or more a day at 75% max HR, and watch the diet.  Go much faster than that and you'll be burning glycogen, getting hungry, possibly bonking  - and stuffing your face when you finish.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #206 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:30:30 pm »
Bog standard Curry/Poppadoms/Rice/Naan and 4 or 5 pint night out. 3500kcal.

+1

Not done that for almost 10 years.

I do almost weekly.  Hence gaining weight despite an average of 1150km a month, every month this year.  :(

The problem is that I can't actually fit in all the exercise I need to do to burn off the calories from all the beer I want to drink.

Regulator

« Reply #207 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:39:40 pm »
Long rides do not do it because you then need the extra fuel to keep you  going.

They can, if you keep the pace down.  As Greenbank said, the key is to go slow enough to run on the fat reserves (mostly) and not glycogen.  It takes a bit of build-up, but it is possible to ride 200 k on no food.

Fat-burning sessions are long, steady and slow.  A hour or more a day at 75% max HR, and watch the diet.  Go much faster than that and you'll be burning glycogen, getting hungry, possibly bonking  - and stuffing your face when you finish.

I can always tell when I've done lots of miles the weekend before a weigh in.  As I'm not a Speedy Gonzalez I think I tend to burn fat more than glycogen.

Depending on how many miles we get through this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see my weight loss go up to 3-4lbs next week.

Green Party Councillor

Chris S

« Reply #208 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:42:18 pm »

Although...

Intensity can be good. If you don't have four hours to blow on a long steady ride, a 45/60 minute ride that contains some intense spells is also a Good Thing.

Intensity brings on EPOC which can burn fat for you even when you are later sitting at your desk. Also (taken from link above)

"Anaerobic exercise in the form of high-intensity interval training was also found in one study to result in greater loss of subcutaneous fat, even though the subjects expended fewer than half as many calories during exercise.[2]"

I've found a couple of HIIT sessions a week has a more noticeable effect on my blubberiness than a regular diet of doughnuts audax rides.

Maladict

« Reply #209 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:42:44 pm »
HIIT (interval training in other words) has shown to be better than steady state aerobic training for burning fat and total weight loss.

Maladict

« Reply #210 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:43:10 pm »
*snap*  :)

Chris S

« Reply #211 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:45:22 pm »
*snap*  :)

Indeed. Great minds think alike.

« Reply #212 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:58:20 pm »

The fat loss after HIIT will be linked to fat-metabolism too.

If you can't do 50km on the bike (at any speed) without feeling hungry then you'll feel just as hungry after a stint of HIIT and you'll be more likely to replace the calories expended with food.

If you're a relatively seasoned Audaxer and can do 100km+ without feeling hungry then you're less likely to eat to replace calories after HIIT for two reasons (at least):

1) You would have less glycogen depletion as the more efficient fat metabolism allows you to get more calories from fat than the average person.
2) Post-exercise the body is able to replace more blood energy stores from fat metabolism.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #213 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »
I'm a fat, fat, fat b*st%rd this week.

Regulator

« Reply #214 on: 07 August, 2008, 01:20:37 pm »
I'm a fat, fat, fat b*st%rd this week.

I don't believe you.  You always seem like a quite svelte man to me...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #215 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:16:47 pm »
There's definitely been movement in the wrong direction. I'm not going to weight myself this week but I'd guess I have put a kilo or two on.

I am finding, again, that going to the gym, even if it only once a week, seems to bump my weight up. But as well as that I feel a bit fat.

Things That have a Lot More Calories than you'd Think:

Dried fruit.

Jeez. I like this stuff (mixed dried bananas, pineapple, mango etc) but I noted from the pack last night that if I ate a bag of it (150 g) that would be knocking on for 1700 calories. And as it's a bit more-ish I could eat a whole bag of it quite happily. Produces bonus spectacular logs too...  :P

« Reply #216 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:18:50 pm »
Jeez. I like this stuff (mixed dried bananas, pineapple, mango etc) but I noted from the pack last night that if I ate a bag of it (150 g) that would be knocking on for 1700 calories.

Are you sure about that? 150g of refined sugar would only be 600 kcal.

Maladict

« Reply #217 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:21:31 pm »
Maybe KJ/Kcal confusion?

Regulator

« Reply #218 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:23:23 pm »
There's definitely been movement in the wrong direction. I'm not going to weight myself this week but I'd guess I have put a kilo or two on.

I am finding, again, that going to the gym, even if it only once a week, seems to bump my weight up. But as well as that I feel a bit fat.

Things That have a Lot More Calories than you'd Think:

Dried fruit.

Jeez. I like this stuff (mixed dried bananas, pineapple, mango etc) but I noted from the pack last night that if I ate a bag of it (150 g) that would be knocking on for 1700 calories. And as it's a bit more-ish I could eat a whole bag of it quite happily. Produces bonus spectacular logs too...  :P

Funnily enough, with Weight Watchers fresh fruit is fine (most is eat as much as you like) - but dried fruits are very high points and you have to watch your intake very closely.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #219 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:25:09 pm »
I bet it was the dried bananas that did it; I think they have oil added to them or something…

« Reply #220 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:27:10 pm »
Are you sure about that? 150g of refined sugar would only be 600 kcal.

I'll check.

« Reply #221 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:27:47 pm »
Maybe KJ/Kcal confusion?

Yup, that looks about right. 1700 KJ is about 400 calories (a.k.a. kcal).

Regulator

« Reply #222 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
You also tend to eat more dried fruit than you do fresh fruit, as you don't have the effect of the water content making you feel full.

Also, dried fruit makes your blood sugar swing more wildly than does fresh fruit.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #223 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:29:08 pm »
I've headed the wrong way in the past week or two as well. 104.4 this morning, up about 1.6 kg. I think the rot set in at my sis-on-law's 60th and having an extra daughter around didn't help (much as she is the light of my life - just like all my daughters) buying all sorts of luscious dates, figs, prunes & dried apricots at her behest. Now she's buggered off to Peru for 5 weeks I shall have to wean myself off them again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #224 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
Also, dried fruit makes your blood sugar swing more wildly than does fresh fruit.

Didn't know that.  :(

I'll have to eat less of it.

If truth be told I have a hell of a sweet tooth and I've been letting it slip on the tasty snackage front.