Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253394 times)

border-rider

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1050 on: 04 June, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »
Body fat tests require a degree of skill and experience to be meaningful.  It's not something a GP practice would normally be able to do.

« Reply #1051 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:37:42 pm »
It seems that despite the discovery of a recipe for honey ice cream, I haven't actually gained weight. I feel that this is quite positive ;D. I might need to work a little harder on losing it though. :-[
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1052 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »
Am back on the old fat-fighters scheme - lack of week-end cycling and sedentary life-style means that some of the old weight has come back on  :(. The main reason and motivation for losing weight is that my sister is getting married in September and I do not want to be a lardy bridesmaid  :thumbsup: So far I have lost four pounds!

« Reply #1053 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:56:47 pm »
Am back on the old fat-fighters scheme - lack of week-end cycling and sedentary life-style means that some of the old weight has come back on  :(. The main reason and motivation for losing weight is that my sister is getting married in September and I do not want to be a lardy bridesmaid  :thumbsup: So far I have lost four pounds!

Cool :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1054 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:09:53 pm »
My weight is static. Not as static as threeps' though.  ::-)

« Reply #1055 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:31:34 pm »
My weight is static. Not as static as threeps' though.  ::-)
At least we'll know if he starts falling apart and losing his bearings - 44kg... 43kg...

;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1056 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »
I think he has a screw loose.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1057 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »
My weight is static.

If I was your weight, I'd be very happy for it to be static.

Not as static as threeps' though.  ::-)

I don't believe he's telling the truth - all that metal...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #1058 on: 09 June, 2010, 02:57:35 pm »
My weight is static.

If I was your weight, I'd be very happy for it to be static.

Not as static as threeps' though.  ::-)

I don't believe he's telling the truth - all that metal...

d.

Quite - and afaict though my weight hasn't really moved apart from short term fluctuations for a couple of months, I think my body composition has. I.e. More muscle mass in my legs, less fat in the upper body. I had a similar though less extreme thing last summer when I was asked by the physio if I had lost weight. I hadn't but looked thinner.

As for threeps, does he not know about the dangers of static?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1059 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:23:58 am »

Cool :thumbsup:

Thanks J  :thumbsup: I know its only 4lbs but my clothes are feeling looser and getting back into my Size 12 jeans is very nice!

citoyen

« Reply #1060 on: 10 June, 2010, 12:27:53 pm »
I've been giving much thought recently to the issue of calories in vs calories out. I don't do "diets" but I do understand the basic principle that to lose weight, you have to consume fewer calories than you expend - ie what you eat isn't nearly as important a consideration as how much of it you eat. Thing is, I didn't have a clue how many calories I'm expending, nor really how many I'm consuming.

So I did a bit of googling and turned up this interesting blog:
How to Determine Your Body's Daily Calorie Needs

I don't know what the author's scientific credentials are but it all sounds plausible enough. I used the "Harris Benedict formula" he gives to calculate my base metabolic rate, and from that my daily calorie requirement.

Apparently, at my current level of exercise, I need to consume around 2,800 calories daily just to maintain my current body weight. Interesting. That's rather more than I expected.

So I didn't feel guilty about treating myself to a large roll stuffed with two huge sausages for breakfast this morning.  ;D

d.

« Reply #1061 on: 10 June, 2010, 12:38:06 pm »
that's an interesting web page - thanks
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

« Reply #1062 on: 12 June, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »
I lost another kilogram last week, 74kg now.

« Reply #1063 on: 16 June, 2010, 07:23:58 am »
I'm putting weight on. This is mostly because I'm quite cheerful, and so have been baking, which I like.
But then I eat the cakes and biscuits, discover that 170miles a week (average so far this year) is not enough to burn it off.
There aren't enough hours in the day for me to ride more, so I'm going to have to start restricting the intake.

Anyone for coffee and walnut cake, chocolate fudge, shrewsbury biscuits and maple syrup muffins? That's just what's hanging around the kitchen today.  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1064 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
I haven't altered my diet much, but I am at last losing weight again.  Still 600g over my starting weight :( and 800g over my lowest this year, but it's going the right way, and I want that to continue.
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1065 on: 16 June, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
Going back the right way, now I'm looking at it again. Under 18 stone now.

Might go back up a bit this weekend though, I'm expecting to get the hunger after all the riding I'll be doing.

citoyen

« Reply #1066 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »
In my quest to get a better feel for how many calories there are in food, I've started using mynetdiary.com. As mentioned before, I don't do "diets", and I don't want to become a calorie-counting obsessive, but as a rough guide, it seems like a good way to get a grasp on how it all works. Because I really don't have a freakin' clue.

You can log exercise as well as food (ie how many calories you're burning as well as how many you're consuming), and it gives you a daily balance sheet of calories in vs calories out, as well as breaking your food intake down into carbs/protein/fat/fibre etc.

There's a good range of preset food and exercise types in the database, but it's also customisable so you can add your own food and exercise types if you can be bothered to go into that much detail.

And it's available as an iPhone app, which is why I chose this one rather than some of the other similar sites on t'web.

d.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1067 on: 16 June, 2010, 03:03:51 pm »
I'm back to making an effort with regards to my health.  It's depressing how easily one can go off the rails.  Foul mood one day, an extra bit of stress at work, little bit of comfort eating ... BANG.  In a way I'm glad I stopped monitoring my weight for a while - I have no desire to know how close I got to my post-Xmas weight.

Back on the straight and narrow now.  The calories in/out balance is getting a bit easier now, helped by the good weather.  Hopefully I can carry through the momentum for the black spots.

I'm not where I'd hoped to be by now, but at least I'm heading in the right direction.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1068 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:09:28 am »
Anyone for coffee and walnut cake, chocolate fudge, shrewsbury biscuits and maple syrup muffins? That's just what's hanging around the kitchen today.  ::-)

Maybe a new thread for weight gain would get more takers?  :)
Luckily for my progress I think you're too far away for me to help with that lot, but I'm now off for elevensies!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1069 on: 23 June, 2010, 11:21:13 am »
dooh

In the last month I put on a Kg instead of loosing a Kg

Mille Cymru in less than a month

simonp

« Reply #1070 on: 23 June, 2010, 11:26:23 am »
My weight remains static at 70.5kg.

My body fat is down to 14%.

s' ok.

« Reply #1071 on: 23 June, 2010, 11:31:13 am »
Incredibly, down 1kg after eating pretty much 24/7 for the last week. Just need to do a 600 every weekend then.   Er, no.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1072 on: 24 June, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
Would it really annoy everyone to know that I've gone from 12st5lb to 11st10lb (yay!  20 year old race weight!) in one month, merely by not eating another bar of chocolate in the afternoon?  Metabolics - I haz 'em.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

simonp

« Reply #1073 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:06:03 pm »
You have an unfair advantage.

*access denied*

Whoops!

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #1074 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:53:02 pm »
You have an unfair advantage.

*access denied*

Whoops!

Whoop , whoop!

104.4kg after Xmas.

99.8kg at the start of the YACF weight loss programme in January.

89.8kg this morning.

Not changed what I eat at all but lots of miles this year.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie