Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252566 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1125 on: 02 August, 2010, 08:24:00 am »
12lbs down now, my sisters wedding is in 7 weeks time. The quest for being a non-lardy bridesmaid continues!

« Reply #1126 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:34:35 am »
After very little progress, decided to start using the Livestrong app. It really does reveal where I go wrong. I can be on track all for days  but 1 big blow out can really go off the scale.

« Reply #1127 on: 02 August, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »
Went up .5kg the week before last, then despite a week of gorging on YHA breakfasts, lost 1kg last week. BMI down to 20.4.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1128 on: 02 August, 2010, 03:49:49 pm »
12lbs down now, my sisters wedding is in 7 weeks time. The quest for being a non-lardy bridesmaid continues!

That's good progress. You should be pleased with yourself!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1129 on: 03 August, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »

That's good progress. You should be pleased with yourself!

d.

Diolch Citoyen! I don't know why, but the scales have shifted again, am now another 2 pounds down, which makes it a stone *does happy dance*. I had been sat at 68 kilos for 3 weeks and was getting really pissed off, but now its gone down to 66 kilos. Its called 'hitting the wall' when it comes to weight-loss, but it suddenly shifts itself and you start losing weight again!

« Reply #1130 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
Having been not tracking publicly since April (and making no progress) I have decided to rejoin.
Considering the way I've been eating and drinking the fact I'm pretty static is close to a miracle, but that is not the point.

Malvolio -- I do have all the intermediate data, but I don't feel I can ask you to post it all onto the graphs!

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1131 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:03:51 pm »
I've decided to restart as well.

It was from this time last year that it all went pete tong.  So August is going to be my January 2011: its the new year! I have resolutions!

So I need to get back down to 70kg, and keep it there till Xmas.

Will weigh tomorrow and start recording again.

« Reply #1132 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »
Same here. It's coming up to about a year before PBP and I need to lose 10kg, ideally 15kg.

Mixing up my units but 10kg over 52 weeks is just under 1/2lb a week, 15kg is just over 1/2lb a week.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1133 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:21:36 pm »
Its called 'hitting the wall' when it comes to weight-loss, but it suddenly shifts itself and you start losing weight again!

I've hit the wall a bit recently - went down from 86 to 79kg quite quickly but I've been stuck at 79 for nearly a month.

I suspect the problem is partly being a victim of your own success - you're fitter and lighter, therefore the same exercise routine doesn't burn so many calories as it did before...

The answer, for me at least, is trying to ride that little bit harder and faster on my morning commute - I'm aiming to raise my average speed from 28 to 30km/h. I think it's doable - not so long ago, a 28km/h average had me hacking my lungs up at the end; now I can do it and feel out of breath but not completely spent.

It's all hard work, though.  :-\

d.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1134 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »
Its called 'hitting the wall' when it comes to weight-loss, but it suddenly shifts itself and you start losing weight again!

I've hit the wall a bit recently - went down from 86 to 79kg quite quickly but I've been stuck at 79 for nearly a month.

I suspect the problem is partly being a victim of your own success - you're fitter and lighter, therefore the same exercise routine doesn't burn so many calories as it did before...

The answer, for me at least, is trying to ride that little bit harder and faster on my morning commute - I'm aiming to raise my average speed from 28 to 30km/h. I think it's doable - not so long ago, a 28km/h average had me hacking my lungs up at the end; now I can do it and feel out of breath but not completely spent.

It's all hard work, though.  :-\

d.

In all honesty I think you are right, upping your speed is probably going to help. From the fat-fighters experience (i.e. Weight watchers) when you do hit the wall you do something completely different to yank your weight down. This means things like having a walk at lunchtime, doing pilates in the morning or just eating slightly more - sounds daft I know but your body needs to be introduced to something thats totally different. I am probably talking bollocks but good luck to you!  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #1135 on: 04 August, 2010, 12:28:36 pm »
Doing something different sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, using my bike for part of my commute is the only thing that really fits in. I'd love to do more swimming, but with my work and long commute, it's hard to get to a pool regularly.

Swimming is amazing for weight loss - I've never been slimmer than when I swam three or four times a week.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1136 on: 04 August, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »
Despite some appalling food choices over the weekend, including masses of ice cream & a waffle at Ben & Jerry's in Windsor, I am currently 2kg below last week's weight.
Getting there...

« Reply #1137 on: 04 August, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
Despite some appalling food choices over the weekend, including masses of ice cream & a waffle at Ben & Jerry's in Windsor, I am currently 2kg below last week's weight.

It's my firm belief that Ben & Jerry's along with all other good quality ice creams, is an essential part of a cycling diet, and your data supports this. I think we can conclude the matter is now settled.

« Reply #1138 on: 04 August, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »

It's my firm belief that Ben & Jerry's along with all other good quality ice creams, is an essential part of a cycling diet, and your data supports this. I think we can conclude the matter is now settled.
Maybe I should have eaten more of it? Perhaps that's where I am going wrong :facepalm:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1139 on: 04 August, 2010, 02:47:42 pm »

Maybe I should have eaten more of it? Perhaps that's where I am going wrong :facepalm:

The correct amount to eat is obvious. Helpfully, they only sell them in two sizes - taster and single serving. I don't need the taster packs any more; I know chunky monkey is always the right choice.

citoyen

« Reply #1140 on: 04 August, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »
Ben & Jerry's is this:  :sick:

Far too sweet.

Green & Black's chocolate or vanilla ice cream ftw.

d.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1141 on: 04 August, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »

The correct amount to eat is obvious. Helpfully, they only sell them in two sizes - taster and single serving. I don't need the taster packs any more; I know chunky monkey is always the right choice.

This is dangerous talk on this part of the forum. From having lustful thoughts about ice-cream, am now craving a burger and chips.

« Reply #1142 on: 04 August, 2010, 04:03:13 pm »
Ben & Jerry's is this:  :sick:

Far too sweet.

Green & Black's chocolate or vanilla ice cream ftw.

d.

G&B Chocolate ice cream is too cloying IMO, the vanilla is nice. Chunky Monkey is perfect. Only bettered by Hadleys Caramel (really dulche de leche) & Pecan.

This is dangerous talk on this part of the forum. From having lustful thoughts about ice-cream, am now craving a burger and chips.

If you are stuggling with cravings.... (warning - gross)

(click to show/hide)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1143 on: 06 August, 2010, 12:20:40 pm »
Or consider the ingredients of a Macflurry

« Reply #1144 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:21:24 am »
Same here. It's coming up to about a year before PBP and I need to lose 10kg, ideally 15kg.

Mixing up my units but 10kg over 52 weeks is just under 1/2lb a week, 15kg is just over 1/2lb a week.

And so it begins. Wednesday will be first weigh day and I'm back on the bike for commuting.

I'm going to try and stick to:-

1) Commuting regularly by bike
2) Occasional weekend blasts around the park
3) Drop snack machine habit at work in the afternoon
4) Endure hunger between getting in to work and lunchtime (midday)
5) Must not overbuy from canteen at lunch (need to sort out lunches to bring in with me)
6) Cut down on booze intake (in progress)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1145 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:36:07 am »
3) Drop snack machine habit at work in the afternoon

I've found two things help with this:
- apples. I buy a bag of five small apples for 99p from M&S and snack on them instead of chocolate or crisps. It helps if you like apples.
- water. Drinking more water is a good way to feel fuller. I don't know if there's any scientific basis for this or if it's psychological, but it seems to work for me. Perhaps it's just the increased exercise from more frequent trips to the toilet. ;)

d.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1146 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:42:38 am »
I'm really fed up of this. I hate being a fatty. I hate the cycle of feeling down, eating because I feel down, feeling shit because I've just stuffed my face again, looking at myself in the mirror and hating the way I look.

Blowing away an entire months worth of weight loss with one bad weekend. So much fighting and mental struggle, feeling hungry, hating the way I feel and look. A couple of bad days and I'm back where I started.

I hate carrying this extra weight around, taking 11 hours and being the last one home on a course that people who aren't carrying an extra 6 stone can do in 7 hours.

Most of all I hate that I'm so weak that I just can't control my eating.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1147 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:53:02 am »
Hulver, I can really empathise with a lot of that.  But (speaking as somebody who is also lumping around an extra half a dozen stone) you have to accept as well that it's bloody brilliant that you can and do get round rides of that length.  Similarly, on Saturday I went out and rode a bit under 40 miles, with a generous 3000 feet of climbing (and only 2000 or so of down to compensate) thrown in.  With my power to weight ratio, that's not an achievement, it's a bloody miracle!

You just have to keep on keeping on.  A bad couple of days can happen to anyone.  It doesn't make you a bad person! 

citoyen

« Reply #1148 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »
Chin up, hulver! If it's any consolation, I don't think any of us find it easy. It doesn't help that eating is so much fun...

If exercise is your main way of hoping to lose weight, I reckon it's very important to actually enjoy the type of exercise you do.

You enjoy cycling, which is good, but it seems you're not enjoying the type of cycling you're doing... perhaps set yourself some different challenges? Or find a different type of cycling to do? I was in the doldrums a bit at the start of this year but discovering fixed-gear reignited my enthusiasm in a big way. Worth considering?

d.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1149 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
Hulver, I can really empathise with a lot of that.  But (speaking as somebody who is also lumping around an extra half a dozen stone) you have to accept as well that it's bloody brilliant that you can and do get round rides of that length.  Similarly, on Saturday I went out and rode a bit under 40 miles, with a generous 3000 feet of climbing (and only 2000 or so of down to compensate) thrown in.  With my power to weight ratio, that's not an achievement, it's a bloody miracle!

You just have to keep on keeping on.  A bad couple of days can happen to anyone.  It doesn't make you a bad person! 

It's just demoralising when the bad couple of days wipes out a months worth of work. My weight has been yo-yoing this year, I've been to just under 18stone, but I'm back up to 18 1/2 stone again now. I just can't keep it off. I know why I can't keep it off, and that's why I hate it because I've got nobody but myself to blame.

Well done on the hilly ride, that's some fairly serious climbing over 40 miles, you should be proud of that.

Chin up, hulver! If it's any consolation, I don't think any of us find it easy. It doesn't help that eating is so much fun...

If exercise is your main way of hoping to lose weight, I reckon it's very important to actually enjoy the type of exercise you do.

You enjoy cycling, which is good, but it seems you're not enjoying the type of cycling you're doing... perhaps set yourself some different challenges? Or find a different type of cycling to do? I was in the doldrums a bit at the start of this year but discovering fixed-gear reignited my enthusiasm in a big way. Worth considering?

d.

I'm riding fixed, and loving it. It's only for really hilly rides I get the gears out. Still struggling to get the set up right for longer rides though.
I just don't get the time to ride as much as I like. I need to HTFU and just get out there more often though, it would help. Riding always makes me feel better overall, and less inclined to turn to other sources of solace.