Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252511 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1300 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:05:56 am »
Unfortunately I appear to be the only person in the house eating the Christmas Cake. It was about 10" square. I therefore appear to be goingthe wrong way at the moment

Masten

« Reply #1301 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:12:07 am »
Christmas and New Year was hard on me too. Drinking, eating american fudge by the ounce and not really doing any sort of sports. But now, now I'm slowly picking up the pieces. Thinking of starting on the ketogenic diet, anybody have experiences with that? My exercise will consist of spinning 3 times a week and some weights twice a week. Never want to be in the gym for too long though  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1302 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:53:37 am »
December has been rough on me.  After being fairly steady all 2010, I put on a bit of weight with not riding and all the Christmas/comfort/socially expected food.  As a result, although I'm down from that peak, I am starting this year 2kg heavier than this time last year. :(
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1303 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:25:26 am »
Amazingly, considering a) I did no exercise, and b) I didn't stint on the mince pies, I didn't put on any significant weight over Christmas.

I put this down to not drinking much booze, which was partly because I was under the weather most of the time, so didn't really feel like drinking, and partly because most of the social occasions we attended involved me being the designated driver.

I don't have any social events lined up so I'm going to try to remain "dry" in January and see if that makes a difference.

My weight has remained pretty steady since the summer, which is good, I suppose, though I really could do with losing a bit more.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1304 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:44:54 am »
I lost weight over Christmas (83kg to 80kg), despite last cycle commuting on Nov 11th and only doing 25km of cycling between then and 4th Jan. I put this down to:-

* Dropping my food intake when I stopped cycle commuting (hard at first but I know it's just hunger and I've got the willpower to ignore it)
* I don't eat mince pies or Christmas cake. I don't gorge on cheese and don't have much of a sweet tooth
* Cooking for a one year old who needs a fresh healthy varied diet. We plan our meals so that we can give her something from it the next day for lunch/tea. This doesn't mean our food is bland, we just take a bit out before we add the non child friendly spice/sauce/etc.

An average of 6.5 units per day over the last 30 days (with several days over 20 units) certainly has not helped, but that should be dropping back to 'safe' levels now that the festivities are over. Dropping booze intake is where I expect most of my weight loss to come from. I'm terrible if I have a stock of cans/bottles of lager in the fridge. No more drinking at home if we don't have guests is my new rule.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #1305 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:47:31 am »
Dropping booze intake is where I expect most of my weight loss to come from.

Me too. On the wagon for a spell. I totted up how much I was drinking, and a rest is No Bad Thing  :o.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1306 on: 06 January, 2011, 12:07:49 pm »
No more drinking at home if we don't have guests is my new rule.

Good idea. I should adopt the same rule.

My wife gave up booze about five years ago so I don't drink nearly so much at home as I used to (a bottle of wine or two in the evening was a regular occurrence until she gave up) but I still find it hard to resist a wind-down beer after a hard day at work.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1307 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »

Good idea. I should adopt the same rule.

My wife gave up booze about five years ago so I don't drink nearly so much at home as I used to (a bottle of wine or two in the evening was a regular occurrence until she gave up) but I still find it hard to resist a wind-down beer after a hard day at work.  :-\

d.

Even just that one beer becomes such a habit. I am a very habit oriented person. Bugger!

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

LindaG

« Reply #1308 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »
We don't have any bathroom scales.  I found myself near the weighbridge in the hospital last night and made the mistake of getting on.

82kg!   :'( :'(

No more Quality Street for Linda.

Yes, I get weighed on a weighbridge.   :D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1309 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »
We don't have any bathroom scales.  I found myself near the weighbridge in the hospital last night and made the mistake of getting on.

I assume that the public nature of the weighbrige meant that you weren't nekkid. So you can knock 1-1.5kg of clothing and shoes off that :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #1310 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
Lost 0.5kg today (470ml plus a bit more for luck).

Having tomorrow off the commute and intervals.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1311 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:23:52 pm »

You were obviously carrying lots of medical equipment in your pockets.  Make sure to take it out next time you get weighed!

simonp

« Reply #1312 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:57:37 pm »
71.5kg: heading in the right direction.

« Reply #1313 on: 11 January, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »

Have only had a drink two days out of the last seven (Thursday post footy pub and a cheeky pint on Sunday). The NHS Drinks Tracker app for the iPhone says only 2.1 units a day average for the last week (still 6.4/day average for the last 30 days though).

May take a hit when I go skiing the week after next though...

« Reply #1314 on: 11 January, 2011, 04:28:07 pm »
The NHS Drinks Tracker app for the iPhone says only 2.1 units a day average for the last week (still 6.4/day average for the last 30 days though).

'kin hell mate!!!!!   :o
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Chris S

« Reply #1315 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »
So, week one done of the diet. I'm monitoring my calories in/out on Livestrong and keeping an eye on my RHR, just in case I'm doing too much. So far so good - RHR remains at 49, and I feel tip top.

Here's Livestrong's take on my hard work this week:

The dip on Sunday was down to a 100km ride without food. Even with over a 1000kcals of Mrs S's Stew 'n Dumplings, I was still in calorie debt overall that day.

The most striking point of this graph is that I need to to eat more! The red line is my target Net calorie line, and that target is set for me to lose 0.75Kg a week. I'm often quite a way under that. It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow's weigh-in brings.

Chris S

« Reply #1316 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:03:41 am »
Theoretically, I should have lost 1.2Kg last week, but the scales say I lost 0.8Kg.

These amounts are within the bounds of normal "noise", so what this says is "Chris, just follow the diet, do the exercises, and stop obsessing about graphs."

::-)

« Reply #1317 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:03:09 am »
Was down .5kg earlier in the week, but back where I started last week today. Got a colleague staying for 3 weeks, and it's curtailing my riding and increasing my beer intake.

red marley

« Reply #1318 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:05:58 am »
Am heading in the wrong direction after the first week. Have cut out all biscuits, chocs etc, but back problems mean I have been off the bike for a while which probably explains lack of progress.

« Reply #1319 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:07:52 am »
I wouldn't bother comparing weight against the previous week. 0.5kg is a pint of water difference in hydration levels. I look back at least 4 weeks for the general trend rather than getting too obsessive about week by week results.

Chris S

« Reply #1320 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:09:30 am »
I wouldn't bother comparing weight against the previous week. 0.5kg is a pint of water difference in hydration levels. I look back at least 4 weeks for the general trend rather than getting too obsessive about week by week results.

Indeed, hence the self remonstration. However - it's a pain if, after four weeks, you realise your plan is not working. Four weeks is a long time in a training schedule.

« Reply #1321 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »
Just a pound this week.  :(

And that's with no snacks at work and three consecutive nights with no booze.  >:(

I suppose it's in the right direction...
We have now also finished almost all the Christmas goodies (why MrsC feels it necessary to make quite so much when there's only the two of us I'll never know) so things should start to get a bit better.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #1322 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »

Weigh daily then you might have a better chance of seeing the trend faster.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1323 on: 12 January, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
Ohhh, weight loss?  I'm doin it rong.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1324 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
^^^^^
we must be on the same diet  ;D