Author Topic: Foodstuff sell by dates.  (Read 939 times)

Foodstuff sell by dates.
« on: 20 January, 2024, 09:14:19 pm »
In this case protein powder. Whey derivative. I was given 3 x1 kg tubs. Use by August 2022. The tubs have intact silver foil seals once the lid is unscrewed. I tried some mixed with milk. It seemed ok. I wouldnt buy this stuff but thought id use it up as ive started running and cycling daily and considered an increase in protein might be beneficial. Would powder go " off"?

Re: Foodstuff sell by dates.
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2024, 09:21:20 pm »
If it’s not rancid it’ll be fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2024, 10:19:04 pm »
Agreed.
Some things can taste ’stale’, which is unpleasant but harmless.
There’s a long ‘Best Before’ thread in the Food & Drink section of The Pub

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2024, 06:23:35 am »
Thanks Helly, I'll take a look.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2024, 08:14:56 am »
Back in the 60's there was a minister called Selby Wright who used to climb Arthur's Seat on May Morning to hold a service in the face of the would-be 'druids' and hungover party-goers making a night of it. In later years I often remembered him as the Rev. Selby Date before realigning my retrieval engine.

That is all.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2024, 08:28:32 am »
Terry Wogan used to promote 'dangerous after' concept rather than 'best before.'

(Currently we raid granny's fridge and hoik out the two week opened can of soup and paté
(I was getting round to eating that!')

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2024, 08:54:38 am »
Anyone else on here belong to ‘Olio’ , similar to my Tuesday morning  ‘banana club’ finds, but more local . Most stuff is at or past SB date, but it has to go before the expiry of the BB date.

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2024, 09:24:50 am »
What would the food industry do if we all just used our senses rather than blindly followed an arbitrary date? And remember it’s “best before” not “after this it’ll make you ill”. Our current ‘fridge is much more efficient than our last one, things keep a lot longer.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2024, 10:16:14 am »
Anyone else on here belong to ‘Olio’
We signed up a couple of years ago - it's a great idea. The most prolific location to offer goods was the Tesco petrol station with bread-like items almost every day.
Unfortunately it would have meant a 30 minute round cycle trip or else a car journey at an inconvenient time of day so we never claimed any freebies using it. If we had lived next door to the shop it would be a no brainer.
Since having a new phone I haven't bothered to install it.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2024, 05:37:51 pm »
Anyone else on here belong to ‘Olio’
We signed up a couple of years ago - it's a great idea. The most prolific location to offer goods was the Tesco petrol station with bread-like items almost every day.
Unfortunately it would have meant a 30 minute round cycle trip or else a car journey at an inconvenient time of day so we never claimed any freebies using it. If we had lived next door to the shop it would be a no brainer.
Since having a new phone I haven't bothered to install it.

You can always become a distributor yourself, take 10% and give the rest away.

When we do a big shop, we always buy the VERY reduced stuff, ie after 5 pm whole fresh roasted chicken £3, so we buy 2 , strip one down and freeze it. We make our dinners around our forrigin! . Freezer is quite full, of healthy stuff, no rubbish.