Author Topic: World Chess Championship  (Read 9193 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
World Chess Championship
« on: 03 December, 2021, 08:02:26 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: World Chess Championship
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:03:02 pm »
It's now the longest ever game in World Championship history.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:07:14 pm »
Wow 7.5 hours

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:17:32 pm »
White win after 135 moves. They must be exhausted.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2021, 07:11:53 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMV9vU0Gq5U&ab_channel=Chess.com

A very weak game by the challenger today, giving Carlsen a 5-3 lead with 6 games to play. Quite a good instructive video there.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:28:39 pm »
Another horrendous blunder by Nepomniachtchi.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2021/dec/07/magnus-carlsen-v-ian-nepomniachtchi-world-chess-championship-game-9-live?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-61af50278f0819fcb6989ddf#block-61af50278f0819fcb6989ddf

27 c5 allows Black to block white's bishop in after which he just builds up attacks on it and it has nowhere to go.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2021, 08:05:10 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2021/dec/10/magnus-carlsen-v-ian-nepomniachtchi-world-chess-championship-game-11-live

Another really bad blunder by Nepo, so Carlsen retains his title with a game in hand. A very disappointing match after a tense start, especially for Nepomniachtchi. It must be utterly heartbreaking to reach this level and then underperform as badly as he has.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:07:50 am »
For all their brilliance, Chess Grandmasters are still human - it must be really hard in such a head to head encounter to come back from behind, unless you find a new resource.  In my short period of playing Chess Congresses, my play tended to be quite random after a hard defeat.  The only advantage I had was that the standard of opposition was much lower, and my random moves would sometimes startle the opposition into a worse blunder.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2021, 09:53:49 am »
I recall playing a few times in the Halifax congress. Whoever organised it got oodles of sponsorship. IIRC first prize in the open was £1000 (1990s) so it used to attract quite a few of the top UK players. I drove up there with a Yorkshireman whose parents still lived in Pontefract. He was a much better player than me and in his first round he drew Julian Hodgson and kept the position level for about 40 moves before succumbing. Julian's comments in the post-mortem were interesting: "I didn't really have a plan at this point - I was just waiting for something to turn up."

In my game I drew the top seed in a lower section, (under 150 grade, so my grade would have been about 130 then). We started late because of some dignitary waffling on, and we used up pretty much the full 4½ hours before I blundered. Really frustrating! There was only 30 minutes scheduled between rounds and the late start had reduced this to less than 20. I had had to find some lunch in the mean time, so turned up late for the second round and blundered badly early on. At least it gave me the chance to finish early and join the rest of the family - we were staying with the in-laws for the weekend.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2021, 02:35:31 pm »
I was thinking of a Southend Congress, 4 days over Easter.  The Major section was up to 180, and I would have been in the 140s, drawing a much stronger opponent in the first round.  The time limit was slow 40 moves in 2 hours and then a further 20 moves in an hour.  I misplayed a Caro Kann and ended up defending an inferior blocked position in the trenches to a what looked like drawn endgame a pawn down after 60 moves.  We adjourned again, to replay in the evening.  We turned up and my opponent offered a draw.

I was fatigued for the rest of the event.  I won one game where I confidently played a pawn and immediately realised that it could be taken without penalty.  I wandered ff in disgust to look at other games, periodically returning to see my opponent staring at the position.  They took about 30 minutes before declining to take the pawn.  Afterwards I asked my opponent why they didn't take the pawn.  "I couldn't see any reason not to, but you'd played it so confidently that I assumed there was a reason."

It gave me tempo and position and I didn't look back. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2021, 11:26:07 pm »
I played in the Southend Congress a few times, and helped to run it for several years. Which year(s) were you there?

There were always some excellent book prizes at Southend. I've just pulled one off my shelves, which I won in 1982 (Korchnoi's 400 Best Games). I remember very well my final round game, which I needed to win (with black) to get a prize. I played a very attacking game and but my opponent defended well. It was still quite double edged as the endgame approached and all that was left was a few pawns each, R & B for me, R & N for him. I suddenly noticed that, although in the centre of the board, his king was vulnerable to a snap checkmate. I played my bishop move and hoped for the best and to my delight he overlooked the threatened mate-in-1. There was a defence, but it would have given me quite a dominant position. I'm still not sure it was enough to win, but who cares?  :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2021, 01:32:44 pm »
I looked in up - the Southend Chess Club has records of all the congresses.  It was 1989.  I was wrong about one thing. It wasn't the major - it was the Open (no wonder I found it hard going), probably when my grade was annoyingly a few points over the top of the Major limit.  I remember playing for Basingstoke against Slough in an under 150 tournament on board 4 against a 148 graded bandit; their top three boards were all 149s.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2021, 03:16:03 pm »
I found a poem about, or mentioning, Garry Kasparov. Here's the author reading it at a book launch: https://youtu.be/S3C9Diemfug?t=1955

I came upon this poem in a bizarre way, looking for something about Lewis & Hole foundry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:37:23 am »
Err.. chess is not a sport  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:22:06 pm »
Err.. chess is not a sport  ;D

The Olympic Committee say it is, as do 25 out of 27 EU member states.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:52:04 pm »
So they are wrong.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:59:39 pm »
So they are wrong.

More English exceptionalism... ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:08:02 pm »
I am not English.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:54:25 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2022, 03:45:23 pm »
Not affecting the World Championship, so OT, but an Indian 16-year-old has beaten Magnus Carlsen, the reigning World Champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tc0j802idk&ab_channel=ChessBaseIndia

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 21 September, 2022, 01:56:11 pm »
All the time. With hard-core pawn.

Small tenuous claim to fame: the Tania Sachdev quoted in the article below once played my son. She was leading the tournament and they played in the last round. My son won, and as a result shared the British u-8 Championship.

It is that same son's 38th birthday today. I don't know when he last played a game of chess.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/19/chess-magnus-carlsen-resigns-from-online-match-hans-niemann

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #22 on: 27 September, 2022, 01:27:47 pm »
Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63010107

Genuine issue or hissy fit after being beaten?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 27 September, 2022, 10:03:31 pm »
Hard to say. Someone outplayed Carlsen.

I recall when I captained the Southend first team, one of our youngsters prepared very thoroughly against Welsh IM John Cooper and beat him. Cooper was very gracious about it. He was a part-time player but for years was top board for Wales, and invariably got good results against genuine world class opposition. I think I’m right in saying he missed a win v Korchnoi on one occasion.

These things can happen. Carlsen, so far as I can tell, has no proof.

Korchnoi v Cooper, Thessaloniki 1988.

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1083305

« Reply #24 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:41:25 pm »