Author Topic: County Cricket 2023  (Read 16889 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: County Cricket 2023
« Reply #50 on: 20 May, 2023, 05:52:31 pm »
A decent recovery by Essex this afternoon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #51 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:40:30 am »
211 for 1.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:55:29 am »
Bugger. Cook out for 99.

« Reply #53 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:57:25 am »
Yes, it's a shame - I was really hoping he'd get a century.  He's still got the class, though!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #54 on: 21 May, 2023, 12:03:20 pm »
Yes, I was thinking about our conversation the other day about ageing players. Gooch was 37 when he became the first player to score a triple century and a century in the same match. The following year he scored 154 not out at Headingly, carrying his bat to lead England to victory against the formidable W. Indies side.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 21 May, 2023, 12:55:06 pm »
And back to reality. Westley goes for 95. Bugger bugger.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 21 May, 2023, 06:03:40 pm »
Essex's declaration has at least made a game of it. Still most probably a draw, but a superhuman effort by either side could see a win.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #57 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:10:10 pm »
Vitality Blast starts this evening.  In sunshine.  Hopefully Kent will find their mojo after an even-more-slow-than-usual start
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #58 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:36:05 pm »
Wondering why essex weren't blasting. Tis because what looks like a reduced strength eseex are playing the Irish

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 26 May, 2023, 01:46:23 pm »
Wondering why essex weren't blasting. Tis because what looks like a reduced strength eseex are playing the Irish

Does that count as a test match? ;)

I recall the season in which Essex played the W. Indies 3 time, beating them twice. The W. Indies were World Champions before those three matches - one of which was unscheduled*, so we Essex supporters naturally regarded Essex as World Champions thereafter.

*Surrey had arranged an experimental floodlit match at Stamford Bridge but found themselves with a fixture clash after having beaten Essex in (IIRC) the Gilette Cup. They sportingly offered the match to Essex and Gooch took the W. Indies attack apart - and it was a very strong W. Indies side.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-england-1980-61870/essex-vs-west-indians-tour-match-665095/full-scorecard refers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 27 May, 2023, 01:29:00 pm »
A good recovery by Ireland - 100 partnership for the 6th wicket. Essex have a promising young batsman named Das. (Limerick time...)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 28 May, 2023, 07:12:24 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1000593

Crikey! That looked like a decent declaration by Essex, but ireland knocked off 232 without losing a wicket.

« Reply #62 on: 29 May, 2023, 10:06:25 am »
A "match" in name only, I feel.  Were there any first team players in the Essex side?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #63 on: 29 May, 2023, 12:26:02 pm »
A "match" in name only, I feel.  Were there any first team players in the Essex side?

I don't know. I find these days it takes a long time for a player's name to become imprinted on my memory. Cook's easy, of course. Westley, I think, is the captain. There's a snater - sounds like a French regular verb...

« Reply #64 on: 29 May, 2023, 05:15:04 pm »
Well, of Cook (and the other Cook) and Westley, at least three of those three didn't play!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #65 on: 30 May, 2023, 01:50:10 pm »
Yes, I was thinking about our conversation the other day about ageing players. Gooch was 37 when he became the first player to score a triple century and a century in the same match. The following year he scored 154 not out at Headingly, carrying his bat to lead England to victory against the formidable W. Indies side.

I watched most of that on the TV, having been laid low with glandular fever.  Statistically, if you look at the strength of the bowling, the state of the pitch (uneven bounce, movement in the air and off the seam), the importance to the series and the contribution of other players (IIRC Derek Pringle was highest scorer with 28) it turns out to be one of the best test innings of all time, far superior to many weighter innings purely measured by runs.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #66 on: 11 June, 2023, 12:46:31 pm »
Oh good! A new round of Proper Cricket has started today. Essex 100-1 v Somerset. That's the best score by a side batting first. In other games, the bowlers seem to be on top. Kent 66-5 v Surrey, Hants 49-2 v Lancs. Warks looking steady on 63-1.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 11 June, 2023, 04:12:57 pm »
I see that Lancs have skittled Hants for 142, in Southport. After Essex being docked points quite a few years* ago because Southchurch park pitch was deemed substandard, and it costing them the title, I always view these occasional grounds with an air of suspicion. I wonder what sort of agreement is in place, if any, to allow the county ground staff to supervise the preparation of the wicket. The proof will be how Lancashire get on when they bat on it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 11 June, 2023, 04:39:54 pm »
Cook seems to have become bogged down on 94. Essex 258-3.

« Reply #69 on: 11 June, 2023, 05:13:11 pm »
I see that Lancs have skittled Hants for 142, in Southport. After Essex being docked points quite a few years* ago because Southchurch park pitch was deemed substandard, and it costing them the title, I always view these occasional grounds with an air of suspicion. I wonder what sort of agreement is in place, if any, to allow the county ground staff to supervise the preparation of the wicket. The proof will be how Lancashire get on when they bat on it.

Well, they are 52-0 at the moment so it may be a little early to be dragging sour grapes into it!  ;)  Cook got his 100, by the way.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 11 June, 2023, 05:29:37 pm »
Yes, Lancs seem to be going well. Essex 318-3. Cook 116, Critchley 93. It's been a tough day to be a Somerset fielder. Critchley was going at well over a run a ball until he got into the 70s.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #71 on: 11 June, 2023, 08:34:42 pm »
Good work by Lancs there - only 3 runs behind with 9 wickets left. And and excellent recovery by Kent. They were 5 down for 60 odd earlier in the day but recovered to 301 all out and have Surrey 18-2 in reply.

« Reply #72 on: 11 June, 2023, 10:22:49 pm »
Yes, perhaps Lancashire were anticipating loss of time owing to a thunderstorm - we certainly had it in North Manchesterford.  Three of Lancashire's successful bowlers were Bailey, Balderson and Blatherwick.  Really old-fashioned and refreshing, especially since Bailey is actually T E, though no relation I think!  Of course, the naming may be parental nominative determinism, even though he hails from Preston.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 11 June, 2023, 11:27:29 pm »
I had previously noted the existence of T. E Bailey II. Is Balderson related to the bloke who played cricket for [a county. Warks?] and England, and football for Carlisle? Or do I have the name wrong?

« Reply #74 on: 11 June, 2023, 11:46:23 pm »
Only just "no cigar"!  That was Chris Balderstone.  When I were a lad there was quite a few who doubled, probably slightly more successfully.  I think the Compton brothers both played for Arsenal as well as Middlesex (and England) and Stuart Leary for Charlton.  I can't remember which county he played for but I think he was a South African.  Cigarette cards - those were the days!  Botham (who, surprisingly, was born in Chester) played for Scunthorpe on a few occasions but they are not really a football club.

EDIT, Just checked up on Stuart Leary - he was indeed a South African and had a successful career with Kent.  His life ended rather sadly, I'm afraid.