Author Topic: Wheel of Time and other book adaptations  (Read 707 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Wheel of Time and other book adaptations
« on: 16 September, 2021, 11:05:18 am »
A series of books I read quite some time ago. I must have enjoyed them what with the last one or two having me waiting eagerly for them to be published. I can only vaguely remember them though, but I think I got fed up of waiting for the last one and had moved on to other stuff by the time it came out.

The point of this post though is not to drag some vague reminiscing from my grey matter, but to comment on the almost upon us Netflix adaptation. Will it be the next Game of Thrones that all the production companies are looking for, or will it be the next Shanara, quietly disappearing after a season or two?

I also note with trepidation that a new film of Dune is in production, but that has a very low bar to reach given the previous attempt. The source material is still difficult though, given the scale of the setting and the excellence of the story.

I sometimes wonder why they try and reproduce these epic story’s as TV or Cinema, because to get close they need to make significant investments. These days no one is going to accept Galaxy Quest levels of SFX ;D There’s a very chequered history of success and failure, and I note somewhat wryly that no one has yet attempted to take on the Culture universe, although modern imaging technology must make it very tempting to some producers.

Mind you, there are some fruitloops  who believe all the best SF and Fantasy film makers are now employed by NASA in their efforts to keep the flat earth and firmament a secret.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.