Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 398641 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2175 on: 07 October, 2016, 05:30:36 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2176 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:13:32 pm »
Ah, thx.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2177 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:15:29 pm »
Someone should introduce him to 2D Basil.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2178 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:24:03 pm »
The real Thomas van Schaik was an annual visitor to Battle Mountain as a member of Team Cygnus, first as a rider and then as a dogsbody, but rather inconsiderately moved to China in 2015.  Since the Battle Mountain event wouldn't be the same without him, certain other members of the team created 2D Thomas for joke comedy photographic purposes.  At the awards bash this year it was suggested I took him on a road trip; on returning home I further auggested he should accompany Prof Larrington to the Counterweight Continent where, hopefully, he should now be recovering from jet lag in Perth.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2179 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »
The real Thomas van Schaik was an annual visitor to Battle Mountain as a member of Team Cygnus, first as a rider and then as a dogsbody, but rather inconsiderately moved to China in 2015.  Since the Battle Mountain event wouldn't be the same without him, certain other members of the team created 2D Thomas for joke comedy photographic purposes.

See, him and Basil have loads in common.  The Tunnel Ride isn't the same without him falling off on the Sands Of Doom.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2180 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:23:35 pm »
See Battle Mountain thread in Dark Side

I'm hoping to become partner in my firm soon, bloody hope there's more money involved
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2181 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:32:47 pm »
Good news about the promotion, bad news about there not being any monies attached. 

I had a call to go and see the big bods on the top floor of the ivory building. During the meeting I was asked why I'd not applied for a chair - a number had been advertised. My answer was that I didn't have a strong enough profile to be a prof yet. To which it was pointed out that the calebra of some of our profs was questionable and I could easily equal, in not better, this bunch.  I don't want to be a prof just because I'd be as weak as the current weakest bunch.

*eyeroll*  *passes you TEA*  Hope you get opportunities to prof-it-up on proper credentials and when you're ready!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2182 on: 07 October, 2016, 10:40:56 pm »
Good news about the promotion, bad news about there not being any monies attached. 

I had a call to go and see the big bods on the top floor of the ivory building. During the meeting I was asked why I'd not applied for a chair - a number had been advertised. My answer was that I didn't have a strong enough profile to be a prof yet. To which it was pointed out that the calebra of some of our profs was questionable and I could easily equal, in not better, this bunch.  I don't want to be a prof just because I'd be as weak as the current weakest bunch.

Is this not called imposter syndrome?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2183 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:37:39 pm »
The Tunnel Ride isn't the same without him falling off on the Sands Of Doom.

:-[  ;D
I still hold that the tunnel ride should be re-routed so that the pub stop is before the SoD.  So much more interest for the teetotal, camera wielding members.  :D

basil by Basil W, on Flickr
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2184 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
 >:(: Bread machine has conked out. It's the controller so not repairable. Out of guarantee, but has done at least 2,000 loaves.
 :D: Found one on ebay that someone used once then lost interest.
 >:(: Kneading pizza dough by hand is incredibly hard work!
 :D: The pizza was excellent
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2185 on: 09 October, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »

*eyeroll*  *passes you TEA*  Hope you get opportunities to prof-it-up on proper credentials and when you're ready!

Thank you.

I think I'm at readership at the moment not prof.  I'd would struggle with Professorial targets. I'm not even sure I want to be a professor and certainly not where I work.

fuzzy

« Reply #2186 on: 10 October, 2016, 01:49:00 pm »
But being a Prof. means you can apply for a Beaker!

« Reply #2187 on: 11 October, 2016, 01:26:11 am »

I think I'm at readership at the moment not prof.  I'd would struggle with Professorial targets.

Imposter, or Dunning-Kruger?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2188 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:53:38 pm »
BN:  Our elite table of geniuses did not win the quiz tonight.

GN:  Another table won, and they were from our church too, so we get the trophy!    :thumbsup:

Take that, St Matthew's Cockerton!    :P :P :P
Milk please, no sugar.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2189 on: 21 October, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »

I think I'm at readership at the moment not prof.  I'd would struggle with Professorial targets.

Thanks for that. I am not inept or too stipupid to realise it!!

Dunning Kruger Efect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately.

« Reply #2190 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:37:40 pm »

Dunning Kruger Efect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately.

I rather meant the next bit of that entry: "Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence"

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2191 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:45:16 pm »
>:(: Bread machine has conked out. It's the controller so not repairable. Out of guarantee, but has done at least 2,000 loaves.

Try "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish.

He makes excellent Pizza dough without the hard work.

« Reply #2192 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:28:33 am »
Baaaaad noos: Mrs Ham has spent a small fortune on acquiring two tickets to see Phil Collins in concert at the Albert Hall

Good noos: Miss Ham is her companion of choice and I don't have to go  ;D

« Reply #2193 on: 22 October, 2016, 12:43:38 pm »
It's impossible to like Phil Collins. Even though Face Value is one of the best Albums ever made.

Ditto Dire Straits and Love over Gold.

It's far easier to take a view on Mick Hucknall.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2194 on: 22 October, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »

Dunning Kruger Efect

I worked with one of those, unconsciously incompetent....

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2195 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:16:53 pm »
Mick Hucknell :sick:

Dire straights  :thumbsup:. Great band, great catalogue and some very good songs individually. Mark knopfler solo also v good

Phil Collins meh, I've got some of it, some very good songs individually, another day in paradise, Jesus he knows me etc
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

RibbleRouser

« Reply #2196 on: 23 October, 2016, 08:24:01 am »
Good piece on BBC1's ONE SHOW about cars overtaking bicycles safely, bad news was Phil Collins following it with a rant about cyclists without lights at night, and cyclists going through red traffic lights (he forgot to mention lack of helmets)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2197 on: 23 October, 2016, 09:08:51 am »
I saw that and it made me dislike him even more than before.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2198 on: 23 October, 2016, 09:25:44 am »
Phil Collins confirms all your worst prejudices about drummers.  Just hit things with sticks, Phil, and STFU.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2199 on: 23 October, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »

Try "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish.

He makes excellent Pizza dough without the hard work.
Top marks for nom det!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.