Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575805 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #975 on: 03 November, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
Perhaps they've turned the TV, wifi and heating off so that they can afford a nanny, a babysitter and a cat?  ;)

Well, I know the wifi is actually working since the 7 year old was shouting at the internet earlier ;D. I just don't know how to borrow it. It is possible that the heating is still broken as an economy measure, but I think it is more to do with people who go out to work not having the same urgency about fixing things as the person who is around them all day :-\.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #976 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »
Is it a BT wireless? The network name and password are written underneath the hub.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #977 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:46:33 pm »
Is it a BT wireless? The network name and password are written underneath the hub.
Ditto for Orange (at least the password is)

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #978 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:55:07 pm »
Don't they teach you 1337 h4xx0r 5|<11z at mary poppins school?   ::-)

Obgrumble: Barakta, you're not a Turing machine, please stop nibbling the antihistamine tablets from the blister pack in a pseudorandom order.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #979 on: 04 November, 2011, 06:26:57 am »
Bar Staff,

However, if I am at the bar with mate B, who is [que shock and/or horror] a woman, and either of us asks for 'two pints of $beer please' what do you do? Yup, immidiately look at her [mouth agape, or not, it seems to be a little random] and say any of the following 'Is that a half?', 'Two pints?', *pour one pint and place infront of me* 'Was that a half?', 'You want a half, yeah?', 'Did you mean a half and a pint, or two pints?'. >:(
Gentleman asks for two pints.  (Obv., Gentleman should be buying in an establishment of that sort)
Barman serves first pint, places it in front of Gentleman
Gentleman passes it across to Lady, and then looks quizzically at Barman for the second one

For added kudos, Lady necks pint while Barman is pouring second pint, and places, with an audible clunk, the empty glass on the counter BEFORE the Barman has finished providing the Gentleman's change.  Only to be attempted if you really want to teach Barman a lesson.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #980 on: 04 November, 2011, 10:21:12 am »

Not if they've been fiddled with (they have, I tried that first).

Don't they teach you 1337 h4xx0r 5|<11z at mary poppins school?   ::-)

Sadly not: If I was going to start a school for nannies I would demand that they learn:

• How to change a light bulb
  • How to say no to extra things that are not your job
  • How to find and turn off a stop-cock
  • How to connect a complicated tv system when the child or their dad has broken it
  • It's ok for children to get wet/dirty
  • How to stay dry yourself
  • To give children portions that they will eat, not what you think they should eat
  • How to change a car tyre if you are going to drive
  • How to bake a cake
  • How to hide vegetables in pasta/pizza sauce and bolognese and the like
  • That you want babies to eat your cooking, not Mr. Heinz's, so make as much variety as you can manage before they are one
  • If the punishment or sanctions you are using has no effect, try something else - longer on the naughty step will not affect a child who doesn't respond to the naughty step
  • If you have a child who is scatty/dyslexic/dyspraxic, find coping methods that work - getting cross when they aren't able to find their stuff for school will end up with you all upset and hysterical, but the child's coat still under their bed. And it'll happen again tomorrow, so get it all by the front door the night before when you have time to focus their attention on each item, one at a time
  • RELAX, it's fun!

Incidentally, some of these are still beyond me (obviously);D

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #981 on: 04 November, 2011, 10:50:52 am »
Obgrumble: Barakta, you're not a Turing machine, please stop nibbling the antihistamine tablets from the blister pack in a pseudorandom order.

What are you doing eating the emergency backup stash of said antihistamines?  How else will I know you're nibbling away at the BACKUP STASH instead of buying more unless I annoy you enough to moan on the Internet  ;D

« Reply #982 on: 04 November, 2011, 01:34:38 pm »
Doctor's surgery; Spiffy website. Looks really nice. So does the new building.

Now, it would be really useful to have the surgery opening hours on there, don't you think?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #983 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »
Clothing Manufacturers:  Stop putting massive labels made from nasty scratchy material on the inside of garments meant to be worn next to the skin.

When they are cut off because they have become too irritating, any stubble left remaining is even more jaggy.  Cut it any closer to the garment, and you end up cutting the stitching and end up with a hole in the seam of the garment.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #984 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
For added kudos, Lady necks pint while Barman is pouring second pint, and places, with an audible clunk, the empty glass on the counter BEFORE the Barman has finished providing the Gentleman's change.  Only to be attempted if you really want to teach Barman a lesson.
Sounds like you've met my ex ... this is exactly what she used to do when we were at university.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #985 on: 04 November, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »
Clothing Manufacturers:  Stop putting massive labels made from nasty scratchy material on the inside of garments meant to be worn next to the skin.

When they are cut off because they have become too irritating, any stubble left remaining is even more jaggy.  Cut it any closer to the garment, and you end up cutting the stitching and end up with a hole in the seam of the garment.

S'not just me with a sensitive neck turn.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #986 on: 04 November, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »
I've been hot & sweaty all day in a vaguely lurgified manner, now despite the fact that it's warm in the flat I'm wearing a fleece top & trousers to feel comfortable :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #987 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
I dislike fireworks.

They put me in a really negative frame of mind, no matter how illogical I know it is.

Fmeh

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #988 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:29:23 pm »
Me too.  I used to be a pyrotechnician, and i am firmly of the opinion that private purchase of explosives should be illegal. 
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #989 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
People who don't like fireworks: stop grumbling, you spoilsports. Fireworks are ace.

:P
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #990 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »
:P ;D
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #991 on: 04 November, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »
Next time bobb goes down for a cig, I'm going with him and taking sparklers.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #992 on: 04 November, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »
Fireworks: it is Deepawali, or near enough, so be thankful you still have oxygen and eyes. And it can't be just coincidence Guy Fawkes chose this time of year to try his pyrotechnics, surely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #993 on: 05 November, 2011, 10:30:09 am »
Pigeons! Stop flying into the windows! I nearly cacked myself, again.

« Reply #994 on: 05 November, 2011, 11:52:52 am »

Exactly. The worst ones are labels inside the waistband of trousers, they are often really scratchy and sewn all the way round and difficult to unpick without cutting the material. The other thing I have problems with are toggles to tighten the necks of fleeces and the like - the ones in the middle catch your hair constantly: why didn't they think of that? It's not like those for women are most likely to be worn with shaved hair - they might but it's not the most likely scenario >:(.

« Reply #995 on: 05 November, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »
People who don't like fireworks: stop grumbling, you spoilsports. Fireworks are ace.

:P

Fireworks are ace, people setting them off at half-eleven on Halloween when I'm trying to sleep off the lurgy are not.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #996 on: 05 November, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »
Fireworks are just tedious.  They go flash or bang or whizz.

Right, I'm cold.  Let's go in for a cup of tea and slice of parkin.
Getting there...

« Reply #997 on: 05 November, 2011, 12:48:21 pm »
I hate fireworks with a vengeance. OK, my job might be leaning me towards this view. But why people think it's such a cool idea to celebrate an act of terrorism being thwarted by terrorising other people's pets is beyond me.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #998 on: 05 November, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »
Whilst I agree that fireworks are pretty, I also agree with Feline that being asked to keep your animals indoors/under the bed/in a soundproof booth for more than one night is a bit much. If it were restricted to licenced displays only, just think how much less stressed the emergency services would be at this time of year too.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #999 on: 05 November, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »
Cat, I know you're a poor old senile sossig, but standing outside the door screaming at the top of your lungs is not going to endear you to the neebors.