Author Topic: Tour de France 2020  (Read 40909 times)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Tour de France 2020
« on: 16 October, 2019, 05:27:40 pm »
The route has been announced for the 2020 edition.

And WOOP! It's visiting my department for the first time in 17 years.

And WOOP! It's not just happening to pass through on its way somewhere else.

https://www.sudouest.fr/2019/10/14/tour-de-france-deux-etapes-en-charente-maritime-en-2020-c-est-confirme-6697761-4868.php

The 7th of July should be quite spectacular for a flat route.

It starts on one Atlantic island and finishes on another.

Hugging the coast for much of the day it will be one of the few opportunities for the riders that will be disadvantaged by the lack of time-trialling in 2020 to take back chunks of time. If there is any wind at all it could be brutal as the race turns to cross the marshes.

There are going to be several incredible roadside viewing opportunities - I think my preference will be from the town walls of Brouage as the race enters through the main gate (there's also a small bike museum in the town which has always been closed when I have visited).
The blast across the quayside at La Rochelle would be worth seeing too.
There are several nice enough resort towns where spending the day waiting for the caravan to pass wouldn't be any hardship, and a day out on the Côte Sauvage amongst the pine forests where the road winds over the dunes would be pleasant enough as well.

WOOP! Again.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Tour de France 2020
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2020, 02:11:25 pm »
Right now we should be speculating as to how much grog TV's *** Boulting washed down his lunch with.  Happy birthday, ***, and roll on August 29th.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2020, 12:35:19 pm »
I've booked some holiday for the end of september, I wasn't thinking of Le Tour. It will be far away from me when I'm off which would seem to indicate telly viewing. But what's the point when reading the Larrington reports every evening will give me all the information that I need!  8)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2020, 01:23:02 pm »
'tis a mixed blessing that there is no Battle Mountain event this year as otherwise I'd be missing the Tour instead of the Vuelta.

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2020, 06:46:38 pm »
I've just had the realisation that I don't need to plan any strategic working-from-home days on the days of the major mountain stages this year  ;D

Nick H.

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2020, 01:44:28 pm »
I'm finding it hard to look forward to. Not a fan of Froome or Ineos/Sky or Jim Ratcliffe and his stupid Land Rovers. I just want races won by teams with an old skool flavour...Belgians sponsored by supermarkets, that sort of thing. Maybe the Jumbo Vismas can rescue the race from non stop gossip about whuch Skineos rider will be allowed up the road.

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »
My sentiments entirely!  Merckx and Molteni - anyone less like a sausage it's hard to imagine!  Have you read William Fotheringham's book?  It contains some stunning photos., not least the one which shows a distressed Eddy as he realises it's all over.  Presumably the Italians are still too bitter to rename Milan-San Remo after him.

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2020, 01:59:33 pm »
I'm finding it hard to look forward to. Not a fan of Froome or Ineos/Sky or Jim Ratcliffe and his stupid Land Rovers. I just want races won by teams with an old skool flavour...Belgians sponsored by supermarkets, that sort of thing. Maybe the Jumbo Vismas can rescue the race from non stop gossip about whuch Skineos rider will be allowed up the road.

Luckily, Jumbo is a (Dutch) supermarket chain with a couple of talented Belgians under contract (van Aert, de Plus).

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:05:30 pm »
Yes, I understood the reference, young man (!) but I prefer my memories!

Nick H.

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:53:57 pm »

Luckily, Jumbo is a (Dutch) supermarket chain with a couple of talented Belgians under contract (van Aert, de Plus).
Well, that's why I mentioned them. They say they're aiming for the GC with Roglic and Dumoulin, but I just can't see it. I hope I'll be proved wrong.

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:10:40 pm »
I can see Roglic winning, especially if Kruijswijk and Dumoulin are willing to act as superdomestiques. Team Ineos will definitely struggle more than ever to win this one.

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:14:15 pm »
Don't you think we may be underestimating just how good Bernal is?

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2020, 05:58:16 pm »
Bernal is the favourite, but I think we're underestimating Dumoulin. He's won both the other grand tours (and come close a couple of other times with an underperforming team). It will be interesting to see how these super teams manage their roster with several riders capable of leading a team. I guess the crash at TdP probably removed the change of Jumbo having to split resources and go for green as well. It's going to be an interesting battle between relatively well matched teams this year.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2020, 11:49:25 pm »

Can P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nz refer to them as Team Stroopwafel? Please, please!?

« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2020, 08:54:59 am »
No Froome, no Thomas @ TDF2020

Bernal
Amador
Carapaz
Castroviejo
Kwiatkowski
Rowe
Sivakov
Van Baarle

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-and-geraint-thomas-dropped-from-ineos-tour-de-france-team/
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:35:57 am »
I think that's the fewest number of British riders I've ever seen on a Sky/Ineos GT team
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:11:50 am »
Froome I can understand.  But Thomas won in 2018 and was second last year.  That's pretty brutal.  what will Bethany make of this?

Edit:  Ah, I see that Geraint has been "saved" for the Giro.  Remember the days when Eddy did them both, even if they were being run at the same time and on different continents?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:29:12 am »
Bethany (10):s'OK.  5 dunt haz a crush on G Thomas ne moar.  Cyclists 2 her are liek wite litenin 2 mi mum teh fukn C-O-W sumtiems I wish shed ov got carambavirus an' DYED an' then I cud ov gone 2 live in Spaign-o wif TV's Super D Millar an' hiz hats!

Or something.

« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:33:56 am »
Ha - just as I suspected!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:10:07 pm »
Is Bethany still 10yo? I think we should be told.

« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2020, 03:09:34 pm »
I reckon Egan will crash and Ineos will look sheepish.  Roglic, Dumoulin or Pinot for the win (though my hopes are still on Bardet).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21 on: 19 August, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »
Bernal pulled out of the Dauphine with a back issue after a crash.  They have to be pretty confident he's going to be 100% (or that Carapaz can step up) to leave out G.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 19 August, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
Bernal pulled out of the Dauphine with a back issue after a crash.  They have to be pretty confident he's going to be 100% (or that Carapaz can step up) to leave out G.

This is Sky, they know they want the Tour and they won't have thought twice as sacrificing the Dauphine at the slightest sign of even minor trouble to improve their Tour chances even a tiny bit.  It's straight out of their playbook, and I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 19 August, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »
Apparently Froome or his agents disrespected Ineos in contract negotiations, so this could be revenge.  Jim Ratcliffe is not someone you want to cross.  Little chance of Froome winning it again, as he's ancient in Grand Tour terms.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24 on: 19 August, 2020, 06:16:24 pm »
It's been kicked into the long grass for a bit. Do Ineos really think the Giro and Vuelta will happen? Problem solved.