Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718194 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #14200 on: 26 November, 2019, 09:23:20 pm »
I'm very jealous of all of your ability to get out on a ride. Sadly, real life is stopping me from getting to any of this apart from the evening, and then you're miles away. I shall think of you all in a tedious set of meetings in London tomorrow....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14201 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:08:45 pm »
I'm very jealous of all of your ability to get out on a ride. Sadly, real life is stopping me from getting to any of this apart from the evening, and then you're miles away. I shall think of you all in a tedious set of meetings in London tomorrow....

Speaking personally don’t be too jealous, the gap year will be finished by Monday and I’ll be a wage slave like you again.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14202 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:26:16 am »
Ruby's is highly recommended  :thumbsup:

Perhaps if others are free they could join us there pre-pub...

That's an excellent idea.

If you can let me know your ETA at Ruby's, ( sometime during the day) I'll pop over from  'fandango towers to meet you there. Thanks. :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14203 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:49:29 am »
Ruby's is highly recommended  :thumbsup:

Perhaps if others are free they could join us there pre-pub...

That's an excellent idea.

If you can let me know your ETA at Ruby's, ( sometime during the day) I'll pop over from  'fandango towers to meet you there. Thanks. :-*

Will do!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #14204 on: 27 November, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
If anyone is going to be meeting at the usual time at the usual Witham launchpad this route could be followed.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #14205 on: 27 November, 2019, 05:37:08 pm »
I shall do my best to be there, I’m running a little late.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14206 on: 27 November, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »
We will be at the curry place 7ish!

« Reply #14207 on: 27 November, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »

Speaking personally don’t be too jealous, the gap year will be finished by Monday and I’ll be a wage slave like you again.
Congratulations on getting a job, was it your preferred one?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14208 on: 28 November, 2019, 01:30:57 pm »
Well that was an absolutely splendid 24 hour overnight micro adventure!  You'll find photos spread across various Facebook and Instagram feeds plus Strava but a quick summary...

I found it quite hard given the number of miles I don't have in my legs, we encountered a bit of rolling terrain and Fred was carrying luggage.  After a 'spoons brekkie, me, Tomsk and jibers wandered off heading vaguely north.  We brewed up in Great Yeldham then stopped for a couple of pints at the Lamarsh Lion which I didn't realise is now a community pub and a good one at that.  Despite the niceness of our surroundings jibers saw fit to assault us all with his bare feet whilst he dried his socks on the radiator  ::-)

By now it was dark and I had to stop for an emergency cereal bar as we climbed out of Kelvedon.  I was very pleased to arrive at The Ruby, Tolleshunt Somethingorother.  The ruby was very tasty, jibers seemed to order the entire menu.  We adjourned to the Kings Head, Tollesbury for the usual MEMWNS fare after which me and Tomsk rode off into the night.

'fandango's suggestion to hoon down the Wivenhoe Trail was an excellent one and at about 1am we found a large enough clearing in a wooded area to set up our bivvys, Tomsk even rigged up a tarp (bonus points awarded).  We were right by the railway track so slightly disturbed by a diesel track maintenance train passing by a couple of times and then the commuter trains started running at early knockings.  There was a little rain in the night but despite this and the train activity we both managed a respectable amount of sleep rising from our bivvys at about 7:30am.

We brewed up, my White Box meths stove now deciding to behave after letting me down the previous day, and set off for Clacton via the environs of Jaywick.  Brekkie was had at 'spoons by the pier then we boarded a train for Witham.

24 or so hours well spent in my opinion.  Many and numerous thanks to all those who took part  :-*

« Reply #14209 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »
By now it was dark

That arrived so early in your tale, as though you’d not gone very far since breakfast.

Glad you had some fun before the gravy train arrives again.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14210 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:55:29 am »
By now it was dark

That arrived so early in your tale, as though you’d not gone very far since breakfast.

Glad you had some fun before the gravy train arrives again.

The day did have a strange feel to it as we didn’t get going until after 11am.

« Reply #14211 on: 29 November, 2019, 02:07:58 pm »
Sounds like a great adventure for an overnighter. If you look at the Wivenhoe trail again, there is a 'beach' the other side of Wivenhoe that the ColVelo guys have used as a brew up stop previously which would probably work quite well as there is a nice elevated piece of land right next to it as well.

If you use the What 3 Words system it comes up as calendars.triathlon.exposes

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14212 on: 29 November, 2019, 02:58:55 pm »
Sounds like a great adventure for an overnighter. If you look at the Wivenhoe trail again, there is a 'beach' the other side of Wivenhoe that the ColVelo guys have used as a brew up stop previously which would probably work quite well as there is a nice elevated piece of land right next to it as well.

Good info!  I really like the Wivenhoe Trail. Our route into Clacton-on-Sea could be improved upon, I went for the direct option thinking we’d be doing it at night but it was a bit busy during the morning.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14213 on: 29 November, 2019, 03:10:37 pm »

Good info!  I really like the Wivenhoe Trail. Our route into Clacton-on-Sea could be improved upon, I went for the direct option thinking we’d be doing it at night but it was a bit busy during the morning.

I'd like to try out the off road bit after Wivenhoe that Carl was on about some time, might make a nice winter weekend ride with a cafe stop on teh way there and a visit to the Black Buoy and train assist return...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14214 on: 29 November, 2019, 03:23:17 pm »
Count me in for trails, bridleways etc  :thumbsup: At least once I have built up the bike...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #14215 on: 29 November, 2019, 07:57:19 pm »
I have an appropriate full monty bike for this terrain ready to go, comparable cost to Ted's now defunct Kinesis frame. Not sure how long it will take him to built it up if he is going bespoke with lecky gears.........?
CCS - Setting the Standards

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14216 on: 04 December, 2019, 09:27:57 am »
So tonight was Woolpack, then Orange Tree but I've just seen an announcement that it is The Woolpack's beer festival CAMRA preview night tonight, £2.50/pint for CAMRA members, so suggest we revert to Woolpack for cheep booze??

The Woolpack , Mildmay Rd, Chelmsford have two beer festivals in December ,
Wednesday 4th to Saturday 7th December with Wednesday being CAMRA night with the special price of £2.50 per pint with a valid CAMRA membership card 8pm to 11pm.
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #14217 on: 04 December, 2019, 09:35:01 am »
So tonight was Woolpack, then Orange Tree but I've just seen an announcement that it is The Woolpack's beer festival CAMRA preview night tonight, £2.50/pint for CAMRA members, so suggest we revert to Woolpack for cheep booze??

Wednesday 4th to Saturday 7th December with Wednesday being CAMRA night with the special price of £2.50 per pint with a valid CAMRA membership card 8pm to 11pm.
ok, please be aware that we have at least one evening attendee in flight already...once final venue is settled *someone* will need to message the Lung Tester in Chief...
Quote from: GS
Off on another r and r today.
Will go to the pub directly tonight.
Cheers
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14218 on: 04 December, 2019, 10:22:33 am »

ok, please be aware that we have at least one evening attendee in flight already...once final venue is settled *someone* will need to message the Lung Tester in Chief...
Quote from: GS
Off on another r and r today.
Will go to the pub directly tonight.
Cheers

I'll whatsapp him... (if it works)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14219 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:15:19 pm »
I'm out in London this evening, hence went to an alternative venue last night instead ... Brewery Tap in Furneux Pelham. It's a freehouse with a clearly passionate landlord who cares about the beers on tap. We were also treated to half the venue being taken over by a wreath building class ... if we'd known in advance we might have partaken.

Hoping for a mild spell next Wednesday for the trek across to Witham.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14220 on: 04 December, 2019, 01:53:55 pm »
The Woolpack's beer festival CAMRA preview night tonight, £2.50/pint for CAMRA members, so suggest we revert to Woolpack for cheep booze??

:thumbsup: If there's still their outdoor-ish seating area at the Woolpack, I'll bring an extra layer ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14221 on: 04 December, 2019, 03:13:36 pm »
The Woolpack's beer festival CAMRA preview night tonight, £2.50/pint for CAMRA members, so suggest we revert to Woolpack for cheep booze??

If there's still their outdoor-ish seating area at the Woolpack, I'll bring an extra layer ...
Yep, garden still there, I'm debating Clown bike or 24".

Grey Sheep informed, he'll see us there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14222 on: 04 December, 2019, 06:57:10 pm »
I won’t be around this evening as me and The Current Mrs R are spending December working nights sorting the Christmas post, night #3 is tonight and we are still adjusting! 

I’m hoping to put in an appearance next Wednesday as we don’t start until 2200 hrs. Have a good un folks.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #14223 on: 04 December, 2019, 07:04:09 pm »
I will be at Spa Rd. The fixed bike is repaired and on prove out this week - the armoured mudguard is holding together, just waiting for the next break point to develop.

« Reply #14224 on: 04 December, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »
I’m hoping to put in an appearance next Wednesday as we don’t start until 2200 hrs.

What could possibly go wrong! I’m glad my post isn’t being sorted in your locality!