Author Topic: Schwalbe Big Apple versions  (Read 2159 times)

Schwalbe Big Apple versions
« on: 06 December, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
I need to replace a 55-406 tyre - currently using Big Apples, but I think mine must be an older version.

SJS has a Raceguard version, a bit lighter:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-small/schwalbe-big-apple-hs430-tyre-with-reflex-20-x-215-inch-55406/

And a Plus version:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-big-apple-plus-hs430-tyre-with-reflex-20-x-215-inch-55406/

Is there likely to be much difference in puncture resistance between these two? The current tyre is labelled “K-guard” and does not have a Plus.

The Plus is cheaper too - but Plus is better, right?  :)

Other 55-406 tyres considered, but I think these two seem to be the main options.

Re: Schwalbe Big Apple versions
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:04:38 am »
Plenty info on Schwalbe's site. Raceguard scores higher in most categories
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/big-apple

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:28:46 am »
If it’s anything like the naming scheme for their other tyres (eg Marathon), ‘Plus’ indicates that it has the thick blue puncture protection belt under the tread. This makes the tyres bombproof (or even broken glass proof) but also much heavier and slower.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:36:01 am »
On further investigation, I think I guessed right - except that the puncture protection layer on the Plus is now green rather than blue.

Also it seems they do two versions of the standard Big Apple - ‘Performance Line’ and ‘Active Line’. The former has Raceguard, the latter has K-guard protection. Different rubber compounds too. Presumably the Performance Line are slightly lighter and faster, at the cost of slightly lower puncture protection.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:40:18 am »
On further further investigation, it seems K-guard is actually a lower level of protection than Raceguard. Also SmartGuard (blue) and GreenGuard (green) are different things...

This might help:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/newsreader/schwalbe-protection-benchmark-of-puncture-protection

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2020, 06:51:25 pm »
FWIW, because I had to dig into this last time I bought some tyres: 'Performance' means cheaper, likely more durable, but less fast/grippy than 'Evolution'.  Clear as mud.

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »
Thanks all  :) Useful chart, Citoyen, failed to locate that myself.

I went for the Raceguard - more protection than the current K-guard version, without the colossal weight of the Plus.

Not that it matters much on an e-bike I suppose. Good that they are quite cheap compared to decent 700c rubber as the rear seems to wear out quite quickly by my standards.

I do tend to run these tyres at the upper end of their pressure range - they are supposed to be ok down to 30 psi but they don’t feel right to me below about 45R - 40F.

« Reply #7 on: 11 December, 2020, 05:04:42 pm »
The Racelight version arrived and has been put on. Quite a thin walled tyre - think Marathon Surpreme vs Marathon Plus. Even the K-guard it replaced is not a heavyweight really. I’ve put the new one on the front and swapped front to back.

Anyway, the reason for the tyre change is that I have a fear of an on-road RUD (rapid unscheduled deflation) on this bike, a Tern Vektron P7i with a Nexus 7 hub. This fear stems from the extent to which I dislike taking the back wheel out of it. And that is to a very great extent.

I’m reasonably adept with bike stuff but I really find this difficult. First, the orientation of the cable-release-enabling hole at the back of the Nexus 7, as fitted to a Vektron, makes it very difficult to find. It’s also quite low, on a 20” wheel bike. And I don’t do this very often, so forget exactly where it is. And in the dark, on a filth-strewn street, with an audience of oaves...

But today I was in the living room so that bit was ok. The real difficulty, for me, is getting the wheel out of its vertical dropouts past the chain tensioner. I just don’t think it can be done without 1) turning the wheel out of the plane of the bike and 2) applying an amount of force that I am uncomfortable with, when it comes to bicycles. I worry that I am risking putting the chain tensioner out of adjustment or bending it. Putting the wheel back in is even worse.

And for additional interest, as I was doing all that today the chain came apart. The Taya chain has a most unimpressive looking joining link and it must have had a push / bend at the just the right spot. That made matters much oilier than I had planned for in this living room fettling scenario which added to the evident strain.  :-X

I’m now thinking about the joining link and wishing it closed with a snap like those of other brands. This one looks as if it depends on the chain being in constant tension.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2020, 05:12:56 pm »
Anyway, the reason for the tyre change is that I have a fear of an on-road RUD (rapid unscheduled deflation) on this bike, a Tern Vektron P7i with a Nexus 7 hub. This fear stems from the extent to which I dislike taking the back wheel out of it. And that is to a very great extent.

Annoyance at having to faff about with hub gears (and that does sound like a right palaver) is a good outcome from a Rapid Unscheduled Deflation.  DAHIKT.

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2020, 12:21:56 pm »
Annoyance at having to faff about with hub gears (and that does sound like a right palaver) is a good outcome from a Rapid Unscheduled Deflation.  DAHIKT.

I try not to dwell on that. The modest speeds achievable by this particular combination of man and machine helps reduce the risk.

Back to this wheel removal, I am beginning to think the mechanically kindest solution might be to drop the chain tensioner off when taking the wheel out. Only one bolt. Must test that out to check how hard it is to relocate the tensioner with chain in situ.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 12 December, 2020, 12:25:04 pm »
Back to this wheel removal, I am beginning to think the mechanically kindest solution might be to drop the chain tensioner off when taking the wheel out. Only one bolt. Must test that out to check how hard it is to relocate the tensioner with chain in situ.

Probably worth a try, it works for Bromptons (not that you get a choice, that one has to come off to get to the axle nut).

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:32:41 pm »
Well I wish I’d bought a few of these, as I could be doing with another one soon and they don’t seem to be available anywhere that I can see, aside from EU businesses that will not post them here  :(