Author Topic: Pedal maintenance  (Read 1392 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Pedal maintenance
« on: 23 July, 2021, 08:48:43 pm »

I'm trying to get into my MKS Ezy pedals to lubricate the bearings. Is there any way the panel knows of removing that black plastic cap with what look like 4 small holes designed for a pulling tool? Or are they yet more "consumable" crap?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Pedal maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:54:00 pm »
Ride around for a bit, wonder where the cap went.

Oh, sorry, that's Wellgos.  As you were.

Starter for 10: Circlip pliers?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:06:02 pm »
I have several sets of these pedals, for solos and tandems alike. I've removed the clicky ones and replaced them with silent ones (greasing the mounting stubs is quite easy and there are videos to help) so I'm in no immediate need of new pedals, but I do think that producing stuff that can be maintained after a couple of years' use might be a good idea. I don't know if it will ever catch on though.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:08:33 pm »
Is the MKS video "how to remove lite cap" applicable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ay0qzqnKk8

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:15:10 pm »
Well I was going to say I'd just use a screwdriver to prise it off, but that youtube video beat me to it.  :thumbsup:

My only comment would be that I'd do a small percentage of leverage each side to lever it out, as opposed to doing it all from one side.  Less damage and makes the cap easier to put back in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:18:48 pm »
I tried that but without success. Nutty: that small gap the guy in the video used is the only one. The plastic cap doesn't protrude but sits flush with the metal.

I'll have another go.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:19:54 pm »
From the depths of my memory at the LBS with a pair of these on a semi-folding (sort of demountable) Montague bike it's a pair of circlip pliers or at a pinch needle-nosed pliers to unscrew the caps (pretty much like crank bolt covers on some square taper cranksets)    Should be easy to remove.

Edit: the other option is to clamp the pedal in a vice with the cap at the top and use a very thin point centre punch as a drift to tap the cap to turn (anti-clockwise) - keep the angle fairly low and tap gently.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2021, 12:24:58 am »
I managed to remove the cap witha small screwdriver. Now the problem is getting a 10mm ring spanner in the small gap between the pedal end and the nut inside. I don't possess a 10mm ring spanner...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2021, 12:29:40 am »
I managed to remove the cap witha small screwdriver. Now the problem is getting a 10mm ring spanner in the small gap between the pedal end and the nut inside. I don't possess a 10mm ring spanner...

And presumably all the 10mm sockets are hiding, as is their way...

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2021, 08:13:56 am »
MKS make lovely pedals which are impossible to service without an extensive workshop imo.  We have used the Sylvan Touring pedals extensively but servicing requires a spanner the likes of which I just don't have and don't seem to be able to buy.

I'll lurk and watch with interest.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2021, 01:59:51 pm »
MKS make lovely pedals which are impossible to service without an extensive workshop imo.  We have used the Sylvan Touring pedals extensively but servicing requires a spanner the likes of which I just don't have and don't seem to be able to buy.

I'll lurk and watch with interest.

You need sockets with a "thin wall" - the Park Tool sockets have worked for me in the past.

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2021, 02:14:53 pm »
As far as I can tell you need one inside the other though as you need to hold the larger adjuster nut in place whilst tightening the smaller locknut.  I've often wondered if a couple of modified box spanners might do the job but never got round to trying it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2021, 02:21:54 pm »
There should be a keyed washer between them and I found a blade screwdriver held the adjusting nut sufficiently while I tightened the locknut with a socket. You need to allow some Tennessee windage in the bearing adjustment though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:16:58 pm »
What size are the two hexes?  One of the Shimano tools might do it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »
I haven't dismantled one to find out yet Roger but I have wondered about the eye-wateringly, or should that be reassuringly expensive Shimano tool.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:09:22 pm »
Given the shape of the pedal, there's a large metal bar which will prevent the use of a tube spanner, or, I think, a socket. Given that the nut is recessed within the pedal's body, I will need a spanner in which the head is offset from the shaft.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:11:05 pm »
Just unbolt the cage to give access to the axle locknut?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:49:18 pm »
^  This.  It's what I thought as soon as I saw the picture upthread.  I've certainly done that in the past on "rat-traps" - and the screw-driver on the adjusting nut is a common enough ruse, too - and effective!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 26 July, 2021, 11:02:44 pm »
Just unbolt the cage to give access to the axle locknut?

I hadn't even noticed that you could do this (heads over to the "I'm such a fecking div" thread).