Author Topic: Ambrosio Evolution (or any other 606mm ERD) rim  (Read 5213 times)

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
Ambrosio Evolution (or any other 606mm ERD) rim
« on: 10 January, 2012, 07:44:53 pm »
I've somehow managed to pringle the back wheel on my Langster. It's a dead rim - the weld has split in the process and it's well beyond truing on the jig.

I'm struggling to find a replacement rim - its a 32H silver. Does anyone know where I can get one in a reasonably quick timeframe?

Alternatively, can I get away with chucking on a Rigida Chrina? The ERD is slightly smaller at 603mm. If not, can the esteemed panel suggest an alternative approach? I really don't want to have to go and buy new spokes unless I really have to.

Re: Ambrosio Evolution (or any other 606mm ERD) rim
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »
Open Pro @ 605 off the top off my head?  (Check the ERD I think that's right.)

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:04:56 am »
According to Spocalc, Ambrosio Excellence is also 606mm, Open Pro is 605mm

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:11:36 am »
In case a Chrina is preferred (for cost/durability/whatever reasons): how "too short" would the spokes be with a 603mm rim?

If no more than 2mm, and the spokes aren't already shorter than ideal for the current rim, then you'll be okay.

EDIT: I got this the wrong way around, but a difference of 2mm either way can be ok, IME.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

The Mechanic

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:17:10 am »
Give Big Al at Wheelcraft a call.  I have wheels built by him with Evolution rims.  Don't know if he has any left but you may as well ask.

01360 312709

www.wheelcraft.net

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »
In case a Chrina is preferred (for cost/durability/whatever reasons): how "too short" would the spokes be with a 603mm rim?

If no more than 2mm, and the spokes aren't already shorter than ideal for the current rim, then you'll be okay.

I've done this - it's not ideal.  You have to go leave the nipples well out on the spokes or it becomes impossible to finish lacing - and then you have to be very steady when taking up the slack.  I ended up with the last spoke thread just showing on each nipple and the threads dont go all the way down the nipple.

In theory with something like 2 mm less thread engagement there is that much less friction to prevent the nipples unwinding and the spokes going loose.  Won't necessarily happen - just more chance of it doing so.

MalRees

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:51:44 pm »
All - thank you. This is very helpful. Big Al is going to call me back this afternoon (I've told him he's been recommended via a YACF and he's amazed!), and as a back stop I've ordered a Chrina from the boys in Harrogate as well. I remember when I laced up the wheel I found it quite hard to get the last couple of spokes in, so they may be on the short side anyway and I might get away with the "Yorkshire option".

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »
In theory with something like 2 mm less thread engagement there is that much less friction to prevent the nipples unwinding and the spokes going loose.  Won't necessarily happen - just more chance of it doing so.

There probably won't be as much as 2 mm less thread engagement though, will there?  Unless the spokes are already shorter than would normally be used for the current rim, the nipples won't currently be screwed right down to the bottom on the spoke thread, so there's room for them to screw down a bit more, while still having enough thread at the top as well.

Personally, after getting away with a greater than 2mm difference (which I do not recommend) I wouldn't hesitate if it was a matter of only 2mm.

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
If you are replacing a 606mm rim with a 603mm rim, the spokes will be too long, not too short.

The question will be whether you reach the end of the threads before the spokes are tight enough.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:35:31 pm »
Oops.    2 mm "too long" is ok too, IMHO.  Call it 1 mm if you want to be cautious.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:33:08 pm »
Ambrosio Evolution are rotten rims anyway

You'd be better off with something else

The Mechanic

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2012, 09:13:23 am »

[/quote

Please explain

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

Please explain

My schmidt was originally built into an Ambrosio Evolution by Spa Cycles
After about a year's use the braking surface ripped open like a tin can
Fortunately I wasn't going fast and although this was a downhill, front wheel blow out with a bang there was no drama

Most rims look worn when they are worn or have a wear indicator.  And I hadn't done that many miles on it, maybe 8,000 at most

The Mechanic

« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
OK but my Evolution rims have a wear indicator on the rim in the form of a groove.  I have had mine for 4 years now including audaxing and fully loaded touring with no issues.  Not sure of the mileage. Maybe you had a duff one?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »
OK but my Evolution rims ... Maybe you had a duff one?

Yep, this was a sample of one

Maybe you have a good one???  ;D

MalRees

« Reply #15 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:58:01 pm »
Well, I took the "Yorkshire option" in the end, and a Chrina is now installed. The spokes were possibly a bit short for the Evolution rim after all, as the fit on the Chrina is better. Now to get the thing good and dirty.........

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:10:23 am »
Handy if old thread.

I've just had an Evolution rim fail owing to wear. My fault for not spotting it coming. Anyway, both wheels now need a rebuild. I'm not particularly looking to use the same brand again, though I could; rather, one of the same ERD would make life easy, as in this thread.

But there seem to have been at least two versions. I've got this one. Whereas DCR list one that's almost semi-aero. Given that this thread mentions an ERD, it's rather important to know for which version! Probably the one I have? Do any of you even remember what you were talking about 9 1/2 years ago? ;D