Author Topic: Broke my laptop screen  (Read 1612 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Broke my laptop screen
« on: 02 September, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
My laptop (a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10) slipped off the sofa and there's now a crack in the screen, but it's still working for the moment. New screens from THE BAY are around £65. I now need to decide if I should:
  • spend £65 on the laptop and get a new screen - anyone know how difficult it is to replace screens?
  • live with the crack - will it get worse?
  • bite the bullet, replace my 4 year old laptop and hope nothing else breaks - it's just had a new keyboard
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Broke my laptop screen
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2009, 03:26:55 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2009, 05:31:12 pm »
A good Google in these cases is "'name of laptop' takeapart"

For yours one of the sites that came up was this, although it doesn't have your exact model.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2009, 05:32:44 pm »
House insurance cover it?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
Master Manotea came home from college having trashed the screen of his Thinkpad T43. Way past economic repair by pukka engineers so I did a 'lid transplant' using a lid complete with screen and all the gubbins which I bought off eBay for ~£20. I reckoned it would be cheaper and easier than fitting a new screen and it worked out just fine. So if it was me I'd take a punt on this chap. Laptops come apart like jigsaws but doing this the first time takes a nerve of steel. Just make sure you make a proper note of what goes where as you take your lappy apart....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
Take photos as you go and also lay out the screws in a logical fashion. Ban any cats, children or tidy-minded partners from the room until you are finished. Do not sneeze.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2009, 06:23:21 pm »
I replaced a screen in an acer in under 10 mins, the hard part is prying the plastic apart without b0rking it!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »
I fixed the backlight in mine and, er, broke the screen in so doing.  Doh.  Be gentle!

Am very close to bullet-biting as mine is also 4+ years old, and a lot of things are starting to suck.  HD video can be jerky, Second Life died a year ago, it's feeling time to upgrade.  Damn thing just got a new battery, too...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »
Manotea, cheers for the link to the ebay chappie. I'm not 100% sure if that's just a lid or a lid & screen, so I've asked the guy. Hopefully the latter and then it'll only cost me £8 opposed to £65 for the screen :) I've got more confidence of taking the laptop to bits & putting it back together after successfully replacing the keyboard, too. The lid is just another step up the ladder of doing stuff to it!

Tewdric, nice idea, but  home insurance won't cover the damage 'cos I, erm, don't have any.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/