Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019  (Read 30166 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« Reply #200 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:56:46 am »
Could also be because you gained x stones of stoker!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #201 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »
Could also be because you gained x stones of stoker!

My poor stoker was only rated for about 40 miles. I reckon I was doing more than 50% of the work thereafter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #202 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »
And I'm not sure his saddle was rated for that...  :o

« Reply #203 on: 22 July, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »
Out of interest Alex, how many times have you done the Dun Run?
I ask because, having done it seven times (including four of us doing it on one occasion in October) and, if I'm honest, the lustre (if there ever was one) has faded.
And, as  you say, there are prettier places to ride to at the weekend, which are considerably easier to get home from.

I did it twice on fixed (horrible), once on the geared bike I used for PBP and then at least 8 times on this one. I reckon at least 11 times now, possibly more (maybe even as many as 14!). I've genuinely lost track! I think I've missed two since the first one (which might have been with Simon, Charlotte and possibly even Ravenbait).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #204 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:00:11 pm »
I ask because, having done it seven times (including four of us doing it on one occasion in October) and, if I'm honest, the lustre (if there ever was one) has faded.
And, as  you say, there are prettier places to ride to at the weekend, which are considerably easier to get home from.

I did it twice on fixed (horrible), once on the geared bike I used for PBP and then at least 8 times on this one. I reckon at least 11 times now, possibly more (maybe even as many as 14!). I've genuinely lost track! I think I've missed two since the first one (which might have been with Simon, Charlotte and possibly even Ravenbait).

If it was with Charlotte and Ravenbait then that was 2003 - I was there - as was Chuffy, Baggy and few other C+ stalwarts from days of yore.   I was on my long-gone bright yellow 1980s Claud Butler Majestic.

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #205 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:23:41 pm »
I think they all did it in 2005 too.  I remember being passed by them.  This was in the days of the old C+ forum.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #206 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:47:18 pm »
Then-MrsLWaB and I started with Charlotte, Ravenbait, et al, on our Brommies. Good weather that year (must have been 2005) and I've not tempted fate by going back for another DD.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #207 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:23:55 pm »
I think they all did it in 2005 too.  I remember being passed by them.  This was in the days of the old C+ forum.
I did it when I  was on UK.rec.cycling. You were there, under a different nom de ordinateur, as was Plomesgate Pete and Mr Larrington, who, upon reaching Dunwich, rode back.

What year was that?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #208 on: 23 July, 2019, 07:09:34 am »
Then-MrsLWaB and I started with Charlotte, Ravenbait, et al, on our Brommies. Good weather that year (must have been 2005) and I've not tempted fate by going back for another DD.

Just looked it up in my calendar - it was 2004 for certain - I recollect passing you and Then-MrsLWAB riding away from Dunwich as we drove across the heathland heading homewards.      I think quite a few of the original gang did it again in 2005.

My pal Steve had driven to Dunwich on the Friday, left his car at the beach, ridden to the station, train to London, stayed overnight with his son - met me at the Inn on the Park - and then drove us both home on Sunday morning - perfect, made better by a glass of Champagne in my garden when we got back.

I did vow to do it again ... but not so far and it looks unlikely in the future - too many people, not enough personal fitness coupled with advancing years!

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #209 on: 23 July, 2019, 07:18:03 am »
Thanks for that. Memories fade after a while, so details get lost but the joy remains.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #210 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:31:36 am »

If by Simon you mean Leggy, to the best of my knowledge he's only ever done it the once, 2007, the wet one, and he bailed somewhere around Moreton and booked himself into a B&B.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #211 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
I was with him when he was phoning round from The Black Lion at High Roding.  I think he found a B&B in Grear Dunmow.  I followed suit but had to ride to Finchingfield to get picked up.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #212 on: 24 July, 2019, 10:30:13 am »
And it's his birthday today!

« Reply #213 on: 24 July, 2019, 10:59:52 am »
I thought it was tomorrow, same as me and Fuzzy (rtd)?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #214 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:31:53 am »
Could be. I'm not sure where I got that date from originally but sounds like you have reason to be more accurately informed. In which case, as I'll probably forget tomorrow, happy birthdays to Wobbly John, Fuzzy (retd) and Simon Legg  Bandage for tomorrow!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #215 on: 07 July, 2020, 10:36:44 am »
Last night I had some communication with Bryan the Stoker. To my complete and utter amazement, he was completely gutted that the ride didn't go ahead in 2020 and is champing at the bit to be able to do it in 2021. Given the effect that the last 75 miles or so had upon the poor chap, I really am quite surprised.

I suppose it's a bit like women who choose to give birth for a second time...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #216 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:13:25 pm »
(which might have been with Simon, Charlotte and possibly even Ravenbait).

If by Simon you mean Leggy, to the best of my knowledge he's only ever done it the once, 2007, the wet one, and he bailed somewhere around Moreton and booked himself into a B&B.
[/quote]

He did it in either 2005, or 2006, as I remember talking to him before the start, and him asleep on the floor (behind the counter) in the shop at Dunwich beach!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...