Author Topic: How do folks travel to events/rides  (Read 2828 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: How do folks travel to events/rides
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:16:38 am »
A big reason why I'm very interested in a breakaway frame or even an airnimal is this anxiety. We should be in the time of Cyclist Special not this bullshit.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #26 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:44:28 am »
Carrying bikes is the main purpose for the car these days, as trying to use trains is so much hassle and complication, and almost impossible for our tandem.

Now I can use my London Freedom Pass on TfL Rail (aka Crossrail/Brenda Line) as far as Reading, might give that a go sometime with solo bike.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #27 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »
the train has got worse and worse

if I have an event that isn't rideable to the start it's 50/50 train or car

i hate driving but the train is so shite now....

« Reply #28 on: 25 January, 2020, 10:08:57 pm »
A big reason why I'm very interested in a breakaway frame or even an airnimal is this anxiety. We should be in the time of Cyclist Special not this bullshit.

The IEPs are only really used on services that most people book in advance anyway, and they work ok for typical audax type bikes. They’re a much bigger problem for chunkier MTBs and loaded touring bikes and stuff.

I do worry some of the well-meaning grumbling and campaigning around them scares people into driving when they otherwise wouldn’t.

(If you’re not flying, adapting a bike for Rinkoing is probably as good as a breakaway frame. I’ve successfully got one onboard Eurostar)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 25 January, 2020, 10:28:31 pm »
The IEPs are only really used on services that most people book in advance anyway, and they work ok for typical audax type bikes. They’re a much bigger problem for chunkier MTBs and loaded touring bikes and stuff.

I do worry some of the well-meaning grumbling and campaigning around them scares people into driving when they otherwise wouldn’t.

I think it's one of those relative risk things.  If I can't get my bike on a train to get to an audax or similar, then it's only a bike ride.  If it's the first (or last) leg of a tour, not only is getting the bike and luggage on board likely to be more difficult, there are likely to be more serious consequences of failing to get on.

Unfortunately, the long distance routes served by the IEPs are biased towards the sort of cyclists who are travelling with luggage and have to be somewhere on time, be they tourists, students at the end of term or whatever.  Or at least they will be after the remaining commuters have either given up or invested in a Brompton or second hack bike.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 26 January, 2020, 07:30:49 am »

(If you’re not flying, adapting a bike for Rinkoing is probably as good as a breakaway frame. I’ve successfully got one onboard Eurostar)

Or you could buy an airnimal and their soft bag as a purpose designed off the shelf package?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #31 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:35:30 pm »
I can't drive so I generally get about by bike and public transport. It can be costly if planning but I never go far enough that it's a huge problem. If you can be flexible about the time then you can still buy advanced tickets on the day through the trainline app.

I guess it restricts which audaxes I do a bit but not too much.

I did recently get a lift to the start of a 200 and that was pretty luxury.