Author Topic: Bike/trike for a two year old  (Read 1501 times)

Bike/trike for a two year old
« on: 18 September, 2023, 06:40:30 pm »
What is best for a two year old? And if trike with or without pedals?

And if I said money no object is there any model that stands out as a recommendation?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Re: Bike/trike for a two year old
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2023, 07:56:10 pm »
I've seen two year olds manage a balance bike. I think the concepts of pedalling and braking don't really catch on until they are approaching three. Children's trikes are a bit of a waste of time in my view, if the aim is to to teach them to ride bikes.
I taught my son to ride a bike at three. Balance bikes didn't exist in those days so I took the pedals off and lowered the seat as much as I could. Once he got the hang of coasting, I put the pedals back on and away he went.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:17:22 pm »
We started ours on a balance bike when they were two. It took them a while to get the hang of it - 2.5 in the first cast and just over three in the second. But, once they had got the hang of it they were able to scoot around at great speed and really enjoyed it. Our eldest is now on a pedal bike, which he switched to at 4. It took him a little while to get the hang of pedalling (especially starting from stationary), but otherwise took no real teaching to ride it as the balance bike skills were very transferable. We could also go straight to riding on the (very quiet) roads round us as his bike handling was generally very good.

The main thing is to get one that is light enough for them to be able to easily handle (e.g. pick up and put down) otherwise they won't bother with it.

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:48:33 pm »
Another balance bike vote, here.

If you are asking for the best I've seen, money no object, I'd have to say the one we just picked up for nuffink off someone offering for re-use, the Koka balance bike

https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m22b0s398p9686/KOKUA-LIKEaBIKE-Jumper

Reasons:

- Light & strong
- Steering control to stop over turning (a GBFO silicone ring that is easy to remove)
- suspension
- well made

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:36:39 am »
good point - second hand is often a good bet as they typically only get used for a year or two and as long as you don't mind them being based about cosmetically they should do the job just fine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2023, 12:06:05 pm »
good point - second hand is often a good bet as they typically only get used for a year or two and as long as you don't mind them being based about cosmetically they should do the job just fine.

And bikes for really small kids often escape the "bicycles are an outdoor thing, so we're going to store it outdoors" non-cyclist reasoning that leads to premature rust in larger children's bikes and BSOs.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2023, 12:35:00 pm »
Balance bikes, definitely. My two both started with balance bikes and have both taken to cycling much more easily than I did after starting with a trike and stabilisers. If money is no object then around here the middle-class choice is Islabike or Frog. The important variable is weight and the less expensive brands tend to be heavier. We went with Islabike. They hold their value so buying second-hand and then selling is a good option.

Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:09:32 pm »
Buggrit turns out she’s got one.

Changing thread direction entirely any good suggestions for bday present for a 2 yr old?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:47:02 pm »
Buggrit turns out she’s got one.

Changing thread direction entirely any good suggestions for bday present for a 2 yr old?

Do you like her parents?  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor