Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576362 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #500 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:46:46 pm »
I don't know anything about the reasons why the figures in $SYSTEM1 and $SYSTEM2 don't reconcile.  I'm just the BOFH on $SYSTEM1, so there is no need to keep sending an e-mail every bloody Monday morning.  And even less need to ring me up every Monday afternoon asking about it when I've already told you three times that it is nothing whatsoever to do with me and have you tried the fucking Gas Board?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #501 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
President Obambi: while you are infinitely less of a dick than your predecessor, charging me fourteen of your dollars for the dubious privet hedge of entering a few details into a form upon teh Intarwebs is havin' a giraffe.

He's gotta bring down the Federal deficit somehow...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #502 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »
President Obambi: while you are infinitely less of a dick than your predecessor, charging me fourteen of your dollars for the dubious privet hedge of entering a few details into a form upon teh Intarwebs is havin' a giraffe.

He's gotta bring down the Federal deficit somehow...  ;D

I advised him to invest in dead dog futures.  Imagine how much a householder would pay not to have an unrefrigerated lorry full of dead dogs parked outside their home during a heatwave...

« Reply #503 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:07:29 pm »
Self - you bought those trousers because you could scrunch them into a pannier, shake them out and they would look OK without ironing.  So why the frack did you just put a hot iron on them ??   

I've now got an iron coated in molten nylon and a pair of kecks with a hole in the leg  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #504 on: 02 August, 2011, 08:11:05 am »
I worked from home yesterday, back in the office today.  So far, so good.  Now for the grumble...

Over the weekend they erected a crane on the building site next to the office.  I've always wanted to see how that's done.  >:(  It's not the main crane, so there's always the chance I'll see the small one come down and the big one go up, though I bet they'll do it on a weekend.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #505 on: 03 August, 2011, 01:30:35 pm »
Oh for goodness sake.  I do not need pre-bonk visual disturbance right now.  It's been 6.5 hours since I got off the bike,  I have eaten,  I didn't go for a blast this lunchtime.  So what's with the stupid bloody strobing?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #506 on: 04 August, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »
Taxi driver of Derby:
When your colleague pulls out of a taxi rank without looking, requiring me to ease off the power, please don't emulate him, causing me an emergency swerve.  He was indicating, you weren't.  I'd assumed you were just pulling forward to the front of the rank.  When you moved out into the carriageway, I really hope that the shout of "WHOAHHH" that I gave you through your window from about 2 feet away from your ear brought you back to your senses.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #507 on: 05 August, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »
Oi, woman, swimming in my lane at lunchtime today: 

It works much better if we all do laps, love.  Not 2 of us trying to do laps and just you going up and down the same side chatting to your mate in the next lane.

(would have been in the rant thread but she was cute *and* quick)

« Reply #508 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:26:26 am »
Audax UK: Shutford is a lovely little village in North Oxon (or Northants ?). Shame the pub was closed when we got there the other day. However, I couldn't help noticing that your team couldn't be bothered to take down the AUK check point sign that you had zip tied to the post presumably for a recent event. Please to be taking them down after the event, you lazy twunts.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #509 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:24:08 am »
AWL, I think you will find that is the responsibility of an individual controller, not Auax UK per se.
It is quite possible that the chap who put the sign up handed card-stamping duty to another, who did not know/had no tools to remove the sign.
AUK controllers are a bunch of fallible volunteers but there would be no events without them.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #511 on: 06 August, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »
Helly, I take your point, but there should be an overarching message from the top that that sort of behaviour is unacceptable. Surely anyone responsible for manning the check point should know they should remove the sign? If zip ties are too hard to remove, then don't use them in the first place. They are fast becoming the pollutant/irritant of choice for event organisers.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #512 on: 06 August, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »
I don't disagree but some checkpoints are open for a very long time. The person putting the sign up may not ave been present when the control closed. Working as a controller can be surprisingly tiring. I am sorry that this sign was not removed but someone checking scores of riders may have had other thoughts at hometime.

« Reply #514 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:02:19 am »
Morning, I really do not approve of you. Go away and take the builders next door with you.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #515 on: 08 August, 2011, 11:58:27 am »
It's no good expecting us to change over the default printers of all those users if you don't tell us when it needs to be done.  "As per $NETWORK_BOD's instructions" doesn't help if they're not supplied.  I expect they've been sent to The Boss, who is on holibobs for the next fortnight.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #516 on: 08 August, 2011, 12:37:05 pm »
Time, hurry up and be Wednesday.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #517 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:50:59 am »
We've had no hot water in the building for 2 weeks and now the cold has gone as well. Can't even flush the bogs.  :sick:

Footsie Blue Chip my arse.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #518 on: 09 August, 2011, 12:15:16 pm »
We've had no hot water in the building for 2 weeks and now the cold has gone as well. Can't even flush the bogs.  :sick:
I heard somewhere* they have to send people home when the sanitary facilities are no longer usable.

*Probably in a pub one lunchtime**
**Which means it's almost certainly bollocks.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Regulator

« Reply #519 on: 09 August, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »
I heard somewhere* they have to send people home when the sanitary facilities are no longer usable.

*Probably in a pub one lunchtime**
**Which means it's almost certainly bollocks.

Here are the rules

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #520 on: 09 August, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
Winters coming night are drawing in bah humbug....and after May weather didn't happen.....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jakob

« Reply #521 on: 10 August, 2011, 05:15:21 am »
We're in the process of applying for Permanent Residency here in Canada, which inevitably involves a lot of paper work, including criminal records from every country we've lived in since we were was 18.
- New Zealand : send a single page form and they'll send the result directly to immigration services. Cost: Nothing
- Denmark: send an email and specify what language I want the record in. Cost: Nothing
- Korea: Get relative to pick up a copy from the local police station. Cost: Nothing.
- UK: Send a 9 page document, including 2 passport photos endorsed by a professional. Also pay 35 pounds for processing and 7 pounds shipping.

Regulator

« Reply #522 on: 10 August, 2011, 07:00:10 am »
We're in the process of applying for Permanent Residency here in Canada, which inevitably involves a lot of paper work, including criminal records from every country we've lived in since we were was 18.
- New Zealand : send a single page form and they'll send the result directly to immigration services. Cost: Nothing
- Denmark: send an email and specify what language I want the record in. Cost: Nothing
- Korea: Get relative to pick up a copy from the local police station. Cost: Nothing.
- UK: Send a 9 page document, including 2 passport photos endorsed by a professional. Also pay 35 pounds for processing and 7 pounds shipping.

NZ also has one of the fastest passport services that I've ever come across.

I had used my UK passport to travel to NZ for many years.  I decided to get a NZ passport.  Filled in a short form and took it to NZ House in Haymarket, together with the fee.  Handed it over.

The passport information was emailed to NZ straight away, the application was processed and the passpost printed the very same day.  I had the passport in my hand, from NZ via post, 48 hours after I handed the paperwork.

The quickest I've had a passport returned to me here is four days - and that was for a straightforward renewal.

Green Party Councillor

essexian

« Reply #523 on: 10 August, 2011, 08:18:49 am »
Dearest darling current wife.

I have no idea why on Earth you thought it was "cold" enough to put the central heating on overnight last night!!!

I woke up this moring hotter than something really hot.

Please don't do it again until winter arrives sometime around March.

Ta

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #524 on: 10 August, 2011, 05:35:40 pm »
I have no idea why on Earth you thought it was "cold" enough to put the central heating on overnight last night!!!

Our heating came on briefly this morning.  It's controlled by a real-time weighted average of room occupancy and temperature, though, so it must have been a bit chilly when I first went downstairs.