Author Topic: Zone Alarm probs??  (Read 3262 times)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Zone Alarm probs??
« on: 10 July, 2008, 09:13:29 pm »
Chaps,
If you run ZA and have recently had trouble connecting to t'web, the problem is a recent security "update" from Microsoft, KB951748. ZA will work if you change the Internet setting to Medium, or will run in Stealth Mode if you remove the update.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Zone Alarm probs??
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
Yes - I've had fun & games on the PC's at home yesterday & today.  I'd realised a system restore solved the problem, and then worked out what the recent update had been. 

Best solution is just to remove the update from Add/Remove programs, rather than reducing your security levels within ZA.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »
Seen elsewhere:

"Zone Alarm's recommended fix is to download a new version.

Work arounds are a) Set the Internet Zone security level to medium or
b) Uninstall the Microsoft patch!"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:52:59 pm »
PITA.

I uninstalled the MS update. I don't want to change my ZA security level.

Also my ZA is the most recent version.

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:53:55 pm »
I rang Virgin Media help desk and listened to the auto message and was surprised to be told this before I even got to a real person.  I simply followed the instructions and I'm back.  I was quite impressed by that.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:05:49 pm »
I rang Virgin Media help desk and listened to the auto message and was surprised to be told this before I even got to a real person.  I simply followed the instructions and I'm back.  I was quite impressed by that.

And so am I !!

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2008, 07:28:58 am »
Another victim here.  :(

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:35:57 am »
I see there is a ZA update now to fix it / allow the MS update to work.

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:43:55 am »
Guys you want that patch installed. Some months ago they discovered a serious flaw in how DNS works and that it could be possible to hijack your browser session and send it to a fake page even if you typed in the correct url. This is not a Microsoft specific issue, everyone based their DNS code off the same ideas and source code from way back in the late 80s early 90s. A huge group of manufacturers including Microsoft, Cisco, Apple etc etc have been working together in secret to fix it. They all released their patches this week. You definately want to apply them. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:34:56 am »
Thanks pcolbeck

It would be nice though is MS could have made sure it worked properly first.   

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »
Thanks to pcolbeck from me too.

While we are on the subject of vulnerability, and to avoid another thread related to the topic, I am about to begin a complete reinstall of XP. I am not able to "stream" the updates and service pack while doing this, so when I initially connect to the internet, my puter will be vulnerable until I get all my updates on the go.

What is the best approach to this?

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:49:48 pm »
How are you connecting ?

If it's through a stand-alone router then the hardware firewall in that will protect you.  In fact you don't really need ZA at all if you always sit behind the router

Otherwise, turn on the XP firewall before you connect and then first thing, download ZA.  Or better, download the ZA installation files now and install it after the initial XP re-install before you go on line.

« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »
How are you connecting ?

If it's through a stand-alone router then the hardware firewall in that will protect you.  In fact you don't really need ZA at all if you always sit behind the router

Thanks MV, it's just a basic router that came from BT, can't recall the model.

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:54:52 pm »
Ok, but is it an ethernet connection or USB ? If it's ethernet (or wireless) you'll be fine without ZA.  If its USB you need a firewall

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:58:12 pm »
I've been having this same problem - can't connect via XP and wireless, even though the connection is apparently good.  (No problem on old laptop with Vector Linux 5.8 and an ethernet cable connection!).

But I am a bit vague about precisely what it is I'm supposed to do - slightly out of my depth.  Could someone be more explicit about the actual steps to take?

[Edited for typo]

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:01:12 pm »
Ok, but is it an ethernet connection or USB ? If it's ethernet (or wireless) you'll be fine without ZA.  If its USB you need a firewall

It is USB.

« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »
If you are going to reinstall XP from scratch then before you do use the DIY service pack from Heise to create a custom CD or DVD with all the patches and service packs you need. Then after installing XP you can just insert this CD and it will give you all the latest updates without you having to go through the tortuous MS way of doing it. It's easy and free.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »
Now, that is most excellent and just what I need  :)

Thanks again pcolbeck.  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #18 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:52:36 pm »
Martin - as a temporary fix, to get you online again on that PC, go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.  Click on the tick box to show updates.  Then scroll down to find Security Update for Windows (KB951748).  It'll be right towards the end of the updates, as it will be the most recent one.  Left click on it to highlight it, and then click Remove.

It'll then remove it (you'll then have to restart your PC). 

You should then be online again.  Then go to Zone Labs here, and download the patch file to update Zone Alarm.  Then run Windows Update so that it downloads KB951748 again, and you should be OK.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #19 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »
^^

What he said.

Sorry Martin I completely missed your question.

« Reply #20 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:28:45 pm »
Martin - as a temporary fix, to get you online again on that PC, go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.  Click on the tick box to show updates.  Then scroll down to find Security Update for Windows (KB951748).  It'll be right towards the end of the updates, as it will be the most recent one.  Left click on it to highlight it, and then click Remove.

It'll then remove it (you'll then have to restart your PC). 

You should then be online again.  Then go to Zone Labs here, and download the patch file to update Zone Alarm.  Then run Windows Update so that it downloads KB951748 again, and you should be OK.

Many thanks, Adam - that's worked nicely!

« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
^^

What he said.

Sorry Martin I completely missed your question.

No worries, SP! :thumbsup: