Author Topic: An Olympic random thread for small things that don't really etc etc etc  (Read 40901 times)

Re: An Olympic random thread for small things that don't really etc etc etc
« Reply #275 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:02:10 pm »
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #276 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:21:35 pm »
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Small things that don't really matter ?  Deserves better !  ;)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #277 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:28:39 pm »
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Who let that cow in here?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #278 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
Tom Daley's asking for a re-dive because the flashes of spectators' cameras put him off. Why do they allow flash photography in there?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #279 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »
Tom Daley's asking for a re-dive because the flashes of spectators' cameras put him off. Why do they allow flash photography in there?

They probably don't but some idiots ignore TEH ROOLZ

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #280 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:49:51 pm »
He got his re-dive, the crowd got a telling-off, and he nailed it.

If I was diving in that competition, and if I was in last place in the last round and knew I couldn't win, I might finish with a running bomb.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #281 on: 11 August, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Looks like he's going to be around for a while: -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9469795/London-2012-Olympics-Mo-Farah-storms-to-second-gold-in-a-week.html

Mo Farah has won the 5,000 metres final of the London 2101 Olympics, exactly seven days after taking gold in the 10,000 metres.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #282 on: 11 August, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »
That was a bit fast, wasn't it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #284 on: 11 August, 2012, 09:47:48 pm »
Grrr. As they've done it in track cycling to nobble GB's medal tally, why doesn't the IOC introduce one nation/one competitor across all events to break up the dominance of

1 Ethiopia and Kenya in women's long distance running and

2 Jamaica and USA in men's sprinting?
That would certainly curtail their relay medal haul!

Actually, scrub that as far as the Jamaicans go. They come across as entertaining in the post race interview, nice blokes. Funny and cool, especially Bolt who I admit I did find a bit irritating at first. They constantly big up Birmingham Uni and Brunel too. One love.

Did you see the bantamweigt boxing? Campbell was magnificent following through with his left arm. Not something I'd want to be on the end of. And a Gold too for GB!!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

rogerzilla

« Reply #285 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »
Why is the marathon a boring circuit race?  Why couldn't they have used the usual London Marathon course?  Security? 

« Reply #286 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:18:55 pm »
I believe it was a deliberate choice to make things more visible to the crowd, because they'd all get three chances to see the athletes going past.

I think it worked, it certainly gave the cameras a chance to show off the city!

That was a hell of an impressive finish by Stephen Kiprotich.  He was behind Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich and Abel Kirui for so long, and even the commentators were making mutterings about whether he could hang on to Bronze, or whether Marilson Dos Santos would take that off him, but then, bang, and the Ugandan just went off like a rocket.

He was looking behind a lot in those last few kilometres, checking that he had the lead, but for the last few hundred metres, he obviously knew he had it, and was grinning like a mad thing. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #287 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »
Something that's puzzling me from the few glimpses of the Wenlock mascot in the stadium is this...

What - if any - role had been given to the poor sod(s) who had to wear the suit? Cheerleader? Presenter of wierd cuddly toy to record breakers? Or what?  ???
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

« Reply #288 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
And why wasn't he at other venues?  Might his fur get wet?

« Reply #289 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:30:21 pm »
Something that's puzzling me from the few glimpses of the Wenlock mascot in the stadium is this...

What - if any - role had been given to the poor sod(s) who had to wear the suit? Cheerleader? Presenter of wierd cuddly toy to record breakers? Or what?  ???

It was attempting to start a Mexican wave at the footie final yesterday, although the crowd had already been starting them by themselves anyway. And it periodically charges up to athletes to gets it photo taken with them while they mostly ignore it (Usain Bolt aside who played along).

AndyK

« Reply #290 on: 12 August, 2012, 05:04:24 pm »
Team GB sing Queen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aYtpL5YhWOQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aYtpL5YhWOQ&rel=1</a>

« Reply #291 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:05:26 pm »
That's ace! I'm guessing it was done for giggles and not charidee.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

« Reply #292 on: 12 August, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »
About those rankings:

I made a little spreadsheet into which I pasted the medals table, then added a formula for a weighted ranking: 4 points for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze.

Russia moves from 4th to 3rd, displacing GB.
S. Korea drops below France & Germany.
Japan moves up 3 places, Australia 2.
Various minor shuffles lower down, with the biggest differences I've spotted being North Korea (down 7), Spain (up 7) & Canada (up 6).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #293 on: 13 August, 2012, 10:20:56 am »
For Beijing, I upgraded to HDTV, and watched most of the footage in high def. I assumed at the time, that for London I'd be watching high def and in 3D. In reality, I watched a lot on a computer monitor and on my phone.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #294 on: 13 August, 2012, 10:47:16 am »
We watched the closing ceremony streamed on the computer as we are in a house with no TV. We upgraded to HD for this Olympics, and watched a reasonable amount in HD. Some in 3D. Very different experience to normal definition.

As for the 3D? Well, a lot of sports worked well, but fast ones did not. Sprinters legs moved too fast and stuttered. I suppose that is because the fame rate for 3D is half the normal rate. 3D via a projector, covering the most part of a wall worked well; I'm not sure if it would work so well on a more normally sized TV. Since we don't have one, there's no way I can check.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #295 on: 13 August, 2012, 10:59:21 am »

He/she is smaller than I first thought:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #296 on: 13 August, 2012, 11:17:12 am »
And why wasn't he at other venues?  Might his fur get wet?

He was. Here he is at the Rowing 'Get involved' tent.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #297 on: 13 August, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
Last Monday British discus thrower Brett Morse got in hot water due to a Tweet he had posted about the Belarusian winner of the women's shot putt final, which effectively accused her of doping on the grounds that she looked like a throwback to the Cold War-era SovBloc piano throwers.

Quote from: Brett Morse
"I've had a bad day but it could be worse, I could look like Ostaptchuk [sic]."

Well, lo and behold, Ostapchuk has been stripped of her title after failing a doping test, the International Olympic Committee has announced.

Who's sorry now, I wonder?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #298 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:36:15 pm »
My Kenyan colleague is saying that Kenyans are saying really they got all three medals in the men's marathon because Kiprotich is a Kenyan name, and the winner is from a place just on the Kenyan/Ugandan border so he probably has Kenyan genetics.  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #299 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
OK, we get seven for the team pursuits then, and so on..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes