Author Topic: 80 mega pixels anyone?  (Read 1294 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
80 mega pixels anyone?
« on: 06 April, 2011, 04:42:51 pm »
There's no vibrations, but wait.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 80 mega pixels anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2011, 06:30:13 pm »
Only an 8 bit sensor though, so highlights may blow out easily.  The Kodak sensor in the Leica S2 (a mere 37.5MP) is 16 bit.

These are way superior to medium format, which always had problems with film flatness.  Whether the lenses are up to it is another thing.

Incidentally, you can get an 123MP file by scanning a 35mm neg with a fairly average modern film scanner, but you're way beyond the maximum resolving power of the lens and film by then.  Most people struggle to get 20 lp/mm on 35mm film, which is equivalent to about 1000ppi.  I have a lens that is claimed to beat 100 lp/mm, but to see it you need some impossibly slow b/w film like the old Kodak Technical Pan.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Nightfly

Re: 80 mega pixels anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2011, 02:50:25 am »
Only an 8 bit sensor though, so highlights may blow out easily.  The Kodak sensor in the Leica S2 (a mere 37.5MP) is 16 bit.

These are way superior to medium format, which always had problems with film flatness.  Whether the lenses are up to it is another thing.

Incidentally, you can get an 123MP file by scanning a 35mm neg with a fairly average modern film scanner, but you're way beyond the maximum resolving power of the lens and film by then.  Most people struggle to get 20 lp/mm on 35mm film, which is equivalent to about 1000ppi.  I have a lens that is claimed to beat 100 lp/mm, but to see it you need some impossibly slow b/w film like the old Kodak Technical Pan.

I scan my B&W negs either Iflord Pan F, Delta 100 or Kodak Tri X on an Epson V700 photo scanner. The results are very good. I also scan Velvia 50 slide film and the results are impressive.

I've also read about Leaf's 80MP camera. Too many pixels for the 8 bit sensor.