Author Topic: First Tandem Ride  (Read 3573 times)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
First Tandem Ride
« on: 25 March, 2010, 03:37:09 pm »

My SO and I today embarked on the (somewhat scary) journey to mastering a tandem. We managed 20km without serious incident over fairly flat terrain in 55 minutes which was quite pleasing. The first attempt at moving off was rapidly aborted due to (a) the captain trying to clip in and forgetting he has to pedal straight away (why is this so hard to remember  :-[ ), and the stoker trying to correct the wobble. Second attempt was ok (the downhill start helped) and then we were away  ;D . The only other mistake was stopping at a T junction with a narrow road not pointing in the direction we wanted to go - this required a dismount and we walked the bike across the junction  :-[ :-[

My stoker pronounced herself to be very satisfied with the attempt though suprised at just how little she can see of the road ahead (i.e. nothing at all) and therefore the degree of trust required in one's captain  :facepalm: :facepalm:

For my part once I got used to the bike moving without me doing anything e.g when the stoker moved, it was ok - faster was better and slow speed manouvering downright scary. Oh, and getting on, and particularly, off the tandem is a somewhat undignified hopping around on one leg affair at the moment - it seems to require more flexibility than I currently possess  ::-)

And here is a picture of the machine we chose, instantly named Dorothy (somewhere, over the ....).

clarion

• Tyke
Re: First Tandem Ride
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »
Great news - it's spreading :)

For starting off, it's sometimes a good idea to do a couple of turns of the pedal before trying to clip in.  And I keep my left pedal a bit looser than the right for emergency stops.

When moving, a tandem should normally handle just like a big version of a solo bike, but low-speed is a different skill.  The handling varies quite a lot between machines, too, so it's hard to advise.  Some tandems aren't happy unless they're loaded.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »
Welcome to the magical world of tandems   :thumbsup:  In my humble opinion it is the best form of cycling. 

Nice looking machine and I'm pleased you've given her a name.  Ours is called Tina cos she lives in Essex.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »
That's a very nice Thorn.Sounds like your first time was a lot less traumatic than some I've witnessed.It seems good for another go.Keep on keeping on.Tandems are top kit for maximum s.p.m.

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:32:04 pm »
I love that colour scheme.   You've ruined my plan though   :(   I was going to have Margaret Hilda resprayed rainbow and rename her Dotty.    

Very nice bike.   Enjoy her.    8)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »
Good that you've started with a decent machine.  For very sound cost reasons, most people try tandemming with something cheap & nasty - maybe hired - and end up dissatisfied & frustrated.

Remember:  As an American tandemmist once said, 'Whichever direction you're relationship's going, a tandem will get yuo there quicker!' ;D
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:45:31 pm »
If your stoker wants a more upright position (and perhaps get more view into the bargain), you could rotate the stoker bars 180 degrees so that they point back.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Tim

« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »
Is that the ex-display model from the Thorn showroom?

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2010, 05:49:03 pm »
Good that you've started with a decent machine.  For very sound cost reasons, most people try tandemming with something cheap & nasty - maybe hired - and end up dissatisfied & frustrated.

Remember:  As an American tandemmist once said, 'Whichever direction you're relationship's going, a tandem will get yuo there quicker!' ;D

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :thumbsup:

We decided to get the tandem as my partner suffered a brain injury in a mountain bike accident back in 2008 that has left her with a much reduced visual field (and consequently no driving licence). It has also (unsuprisingly) left her lacking in confidence for cycling in traffic. So investing in a good tandem made sense - we will use it.

Yes it is - we have been looking at it for several weeks before finally taking the plunge. We don't know a great deal about tandems but it seemed to fit the bill for us - we wanted something for fairly fast day riding rather than touring, and maybe some shorter audax rides. As we had got rid of a car it didn't seem to indulgent to buy this.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »
Mr Maverick you really are amassing a lovely collection if bicycles. 

I wonder if your partner is of similar height to Eck?  If so I could see you partially retired Angus chaps making a lovely 24 tandem team :)

Tim

« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2010, 07:35:10 pm »
That tandem will cope with touring, the frame is easily stiff enough for that (if you have the heart to add racks for the tour), we've taken our Vitesse (700c wheeled) on tour as well as taking the luggage stuffs off and using it for brisker riding.

« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
That will be a lot of fun :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:32:28 pm »
Just seen this.  :thumbsup:

So.... that's why you couldn't get out for a long ride today, eh?  ;)
It is seriously lovely - MUCH nicer in your kitchen than it looked on Thorn's ad.

Delighted you've taken the plunge - you'll love it: it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  :-X ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »
it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  :-X ;D

that's exactly what I said when we first had our tandem ;D

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:13:55 pm »
I wonder if your partner is of similar height to Eck?  If so I could see you partially retired Angus chaps making a lovely 24 tandem team :)
:hand:
I've already had my fair share of being in "a lovely 24 tandem team", thank you very much.  :P

EDIT: And, for the avoidance of doubt, we both kept our clothes on.  ???  :sick:  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #15 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
Low speed handling and an occasionally nervous stoker means I haven't been brave enough to try clipless yet.  Mind you, it might be a good thing for my stoker - her feet occasionally lose the pedals when I crank it up to 120+ rpm in pursuit of some roadie  :demon:

« Reply #16 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:51:03 pm »
Low speed handling and an occasionally nervous stoker means I haven't been brave enough to try clipless yet.  Mind you, it might be a good thing for my stoker - her feet occasionally lose the pedals when I crank it up to 120+ rpm in pursuit of some roadie  :demon:
Clipless pedals are fantastic for stokers. It's the only way I can hang on to the pedals. Superstoker got used to clipless pedals whilst stoking, then tried them on his solo, with no problems at all :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #17 on: 25 March, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »
Just seen this.  :thumbsup:

So.... that's why you couldn't get out for a long ride today, eh?  ;)
It is seriously lovely - MUCH nicer in your kitchen than it looked on Thorn's ad.

Delighted you've taken the plunge - you'll love it: it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  :-X ;D

It was seeing you and Mrs Eck on your tandem the other week that convinced my other half that she wanted a tandem - so it's all your fault  ;D

I can't say I was convinced about the colour scheme from the ad but it is very nice 'in the flesh'. The only thing we can't live with are the saddles - my partner was suffering after 1/2 an hour and I had had enough by the end of the ride - why should we want wide soft saddles  ??? A new Brooks Swift for me and a Specialized BG for the stoker will be replacing them shortly, and a longer stem for the stoker too. I wasn't too sure about bar end shifters but that proved not to be a problem in reality - I might still prefer STI's and make the change at some point though (assuming the brakes would still work). Something a little less agricultural for tyres too when the current ones expire.

We never really considered anything else as we both feel really insecure without them. I will admit to having them set at the lowest tension setting at the moment though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:52:03 am »
Clipless pedals are a great boon for pilots.  Wouldn't want to use anything else (and I love toeclips).

A longer stem for the stoker was the first thing i thought on looking at the pic.  Sounds like you know what you like for saddles, but remember that it's not so easy to have a shuffle.  You're sitting in the same place for longer on a tandem, so get that right or you'll never get the fun to be had.

The colour scheme is, well, remarkable.  And I'm not sure it'd be very 'me' (we've just had our tandem resprayed from battleship grey to black ;D ).  But you can't be shy if you ride a tandem (or trike, recumbent etc).  You get noticed & commented on.  You'll get serenaded.  You'll see endless numbers of women nudging their partner and saying 'That's what we need'.  And kids leaping up in excitement shouting 'Double-bike!' 'Trike!' and loads of other things in their scrambling for the right word.  You won't slip by unnoticed.
Getting there...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:53:40 pm »
Great to hear you survived the first ride, only gets better from here!

My stoker pronounced herself to be very satisfied with the attempt
You've mastered rule one: always ensure the stoker is satisfied.

Oh, and getting on, and particularly, off the tandem is a somewhat undignified hopping around on one leg affair at the moment - it seems to require more flexibility than I currently possess  ::-)

Make sure you get on (to stand over the frame) before the stoker. Lean the bike right over towards yourself to get your leg over the top tube. Doesn't look very "pro" but much more friendly on tired / unwilling legs.  :)

Yes it is - we have been looking at it for several weeks before finally taking the plunge. We don't know a great deal about tandems but it seemed to fit the bill for us - we wanted something for fairly fast day riding rather than touring, and maybe some shorter audax rides. As we had got rid of a car it didn't seem to indulgent to buy this.

The colour of our Thorn Adventure was defined by the dark blue at a certain point on the stoker's section top tube of that very bike.

Sounds like it will be a perfect machine for what you want, good choice!