Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134156 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14075 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:21:07 pm »
If you've a friend who's a tradesman then it's friendlier to give him your business, not to ask for freebies.

Unless, of course, they do IT support.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14076 on: 07 October, 2019, 10:28:03 pm »
I put a new front mudguard on my Thorn. The old one had a crack in it and the rear mudguard is no longer properly attached to one set of stays. They are SKS chromoplastic "indestructible" mudguards. They've done pretty well though. I've had the bike over 13 years and hav recorded over 38700 miles on it.

It was interesting as the steel bracket that is designed to hold the mudguard onto the fork is not needed - in fact, must be removed - for my bike as there is a bolt that goes through the mudguard vertically into the fork crutch. I had to drill out the rivets holding that in place, so that I could remove the bracket, hammer the rear rivet smooth and then completely remove the front one as that was where the bolt needed to go. I used the existing stays. It seems that modern front mudguards have those really irritating plastic clips at the fork end of the stays which have the really annoying habit of jumping out at critical moment and often seem to break.

I have yet to tackle the reat mudguard but I think it is pretty straightforward.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14077 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:27:48 pm »
I put a new front mudguard on my Thorn. The old one had a crack in it and the rear mudguard is no longer properly attached to one set of stays. They are SKS chromoplastic "indestructible" mudguards. They've done pretty well though. I've had the bike over 13 years and hav recorded over 38700 miles on it.

It was interesting as the steel bracket that is designed to hold the mudguard onto the fork is not needed - in fact, must be removed - for my bike as there is a bolt that goes through the mudguard vertically into the fork crutch. I had to drill out the rivets holding that in place, so that I could remove the bracket, hammer the rear rivet smooth and then completely remove the front one as that was where the bolt needed to go. I used the existing stays. It seems that modern front mudguards have those really irritating plastic clips at the fork end of the stays which have the really annoying habit of jumping out at critical moment and often seem to break.

I have yet to tackle the reat mudguard but I think it is pretty straightforward.
One rider's irratating plastic clip is another's nifty safety device. They're designed to break away in the event of stick/other debris getting jammed in the spokes, catching the mudguard stay  bringing the bike to a sudden halt and propelling the unfortunate over the handle bars.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14078 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:32:05 pm »
I'm aware of what they are designed for. I must say that I find it rather hard to imagine circumstances in which they would actually work, whereas I have some practical experience of them just gratuitously unclipping whenever they feel like it. We have them on the Circe tandem.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14079 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:37:26 pm »
Our mileages obviously vary. I've never had them spontaneuosly unclip. Meanwhile here's an article by that nice Chris Juden, giving a bit of background:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/technical-guide/mudguard-safety

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14080 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:39:54 pm »
I've had one pop out once due to a Mk 1 twig getting caught.  Obviously I've no idea what would have happened without the clip, maybe a broken twig, maybe a broken mudguard, maybe a broken collarbone?  But in general I've found them to be non-problematic, in that they don't seem overly prone to releasing or making rattling noises or anything that would irritate me.  I've accidentally pulled them out while playing bike-tetris in the back of cars a couple of times, but again, that seems preferable to something breaking.  They're certainly handy if you're in the habit of removing and refitting your mudguards (eg. to achieve marginal aerodynamic gains and/or a wet arse during northwestern recumbent bike races), though I appreciate the correct solution to that sort of thing is n+1.

I've had a rear mudguard that wasn't equipped with them get snagged and fold up, stopping the wheel.  That would probably have benefited from them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14081 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:58:41 pm »
It seems that the design on the Circe is rather faffy compared to this SKS version I bought with my mudguards. But it's in the garage and ICBA to look at it tonight.

The Chris Juden article was rather spoiled because pretty well every link failed*. No doubt this is one of the great advantages of teh CTC now being Cycling UK.

*One that didn't was to a Youtube animation published by SKS showing a twig getting stuck in a wheel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14082 on: 08 October, 2019, 12:07:20 am »
In my stable I have two different designs:

"Secu-clips" - A plastic socket, bolted to the braze-on, into which a 'ring' formed by the apex of a V-shaped pair of wire stays pushes:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/McynZUqTJpo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/McynZUqTJpo&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/McynZUqTJpo

"Automatic Stay Release" - A plastic tongue with a lip, bolted to the braze on, onto which a plastic socket moulded onto the apex of the stays pushes:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lGwG-qItnC8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lGwG-qItnC8&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/lGwG-qItnC8

I think the second kind is a little more prone to unwanted disconnections - though I haven't had them from new, and they may be worn.  Not sure how they compare durability-wise, but the first type is mechanically simpler, and seems to have less play (not that I've really noticed a rattle from either).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14083 on: 08 October, 2019, 12:10:56 am »
The second video shows the type that were sold with my new mudguards. The first one looks more like the Circe version.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14084 on: 08 October, 2019, 12:17:01 am »
It occurs to me that the ASR design puts less thickness under the bolt, which may be preferable if you are mounting the mudguard inboard of a luggage rack with shared bolts.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14085 on: 08 October, 2019, 07:21:16 am »
I'm aware of what they are designed for. I must say that I find it rather hard to imagine circumstances in which they would actually work, whereas I have some practical experience of them just gratuitously unclipping whenever they feel like it. We have them on the Circe tandem.

One of our club members was thrown off the bike bike on a Weds club run - stick up the front mudguard, jammed wheel and threw him over the front to land on his (helmeted) head - ambulance ..... major trauma - life support switched off three days later.

I think I'll stick with the breakaway clips - although before someone says it they're not a guarantee, but ...

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14086 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
There is a video out there of a US, I assume because wrong side of the road, peloton of club riders haring along a very wide hard shoulder. A piece of debris gets entangled in a front wheel and similarly throws the guy over the front, not sure of aftermath.

So what's the point - the mudguard safety clips are part of it (also help if you catch your foot) but the biggest reduction factor can only be a high level of vigilance aroudn debris.  Not always easy to spot I know, given weather, road, darkness, traffic etc.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14087 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:34:33 am »
Agreed.  Never trust a twig.

It seems to be a fundamental flaw in these so-called safety bicycles: Centre of mass is too high, and it's down to rider skill to avoid them tipping over.  (Which isn't to say that an uncontrolled front wheel skid on a tandem or recumbent is a fantastic improvement - it's still worth having safety clips on your mudguard.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14088 on: 08 October, 2019, 01:31:17 pm »
If you've a friend who's a tradesman then it's friendlier to give him your business, not to ask for freebies.

Unless, of course, they do IT support.

"IT support" people understand. "Software developer" they don't, but seem to suppose that you'll be agog to fix their bot-ridden box anyway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14089 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:47:04 pm »
There is a video out there of a US, I assume because wrong side of the road, peloton of club riders haring along a very wide hard shoulder. A piece of debris gets entangled in a front wheel and similarly throws the guy over the front, not sure of aftermath.
Aus, IIRC.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14090 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:05:30 pm »
At the weekend, my very first MTB, a Diamondback Ascentex, was fettled into uni-commuting duties for mini.

New tyres (Marathons, de rigeur for the PSO who also doesn't want to faff with punctures), some new cables, a bit of gear tuning, a bracket for a D-lock, a ham-fisted only partly successful attempt at wheel-truing and bingo, a working bike that doesn't look too attractive to any ne'er-do-wells.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14091 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:29:23 am »
I replaced the driver's door check arm on my wife's MINI. It has two plastic cups, pushed with springs onto the plastic link to provide friction.

It had failed because the top plastic cup filled with water, and the steel spring had rusted away in the water. The lower spring was as new. The lower spring and cup are now replacing the upper ones on the other side of the car, where exactly the same failure mechanism had happened.

Second-hand door check arms are about £15. New ones are £33 from BMW. The second hand ones are likely to have rusted upper springs and seem like poor value to me.

(Side note:- the door check arms are not handed.  They fit either side of the car, and are marked LH on the face that is uppermost when on the left of the car, and RH on the other. Many second-hand ones are carefully marked driver/passenger or offside/nearside or left/right by people who don't realise that they are one and the same for this part)
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #14092 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »
Successfully fettled several kilo of quince scored off a neighbour into membrillo.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14093 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:55:19 pm »
Last-minute fettling of a Back-Roller full of water into a Back-Roller not full of water using a broken Streetmachine lowrider rack and a fan heater.   :facepalm:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #14094 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »
Refitted my Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 700x32 tyres, to replace my 700x32mm Marathon Supremes on my 2008 Dawes Horizon, seeing as it's the start of skog season!

Also fitted a 110mm +17 degree stem (a cheap planet-x one), to replace the +6 degree 80mm stem as specced by Dawes.  Hopefully this should be a nice comfy compromise compared to the +35 degree 110mm comedy high rise stem I previously had on the Dawes (which placed too much weight on the saddle).

Remind me not to rest the wheel on my belly while changing tyres over....  my 13 week old laparotomy scar didn't like that very much!

Hopefully a nice steady pootle on the tourer along the Dunfermline - Alloa cycle path tomorrow, to eventually meet up with the cycling club at the usual cafe. :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14095 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:18:42 pm »
Unpacked HK’s Roberts after her Texas 1200. Swapped the tyres over and trimmed a couple of mudguard bolts to the correct length.

Levelled the saddle on HK’s Brompton and pumped the tyres.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14096 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:29:34 am »
Put the dyno wheel back on the Domane. Nights are drawing in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14097 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:26:11 am »
Punctures. Lots of punctures. It was a wet FNRTTC and Adam asked me to be tail end Charlie.

I also discovered some people repair punctures the wrong way a different way to me.

« Reply #14098 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:31:00 am »
Friday afternoon, I managed to fettle a space saver spare (no room for a proper one) into the boot of my new car. It came with a “tyre repair kit”, you know, a compressor and tin of gloop that ruins the tyre, plus destroys the tyre pressure monitor, total loss around £150 for a simple puncture Toyota will repair FOC. When I bought the car, I enquired as to cost of this mod, and was quoted £640  :o. Long story short, I got a wheel off eBay for £90, and the other bits from Toyota for £45 after getting the part numbers off an owners forum.  :thumbsup:

The original quotes was based on a complete mis-, no, lack of understanding of what needed doing.  ::-) :hand:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14099 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:32:40 am »
Punctures. Lots of punctures. It was a wet FNRTTC and Adam asked me to be tail end Charlie.

I also discovered some people repair punctures the wrong way a different way to me.
Sorry, I feel quite guilty about missing this one, but I was in no fit state to ride. How many punctures ?
Rust never sleeps