Author Topic: What's your Eddington number ?  (Read 104957 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What's your Eddington number ?
« Reply #200 on: 05 June, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »
My understanding of Eddington-compliant rides is that they are completed in a 24-hour period. Thus, the Dunwich Dynamo, which starts about 8pm on Saturday, doesn't normally finish until boarding a train in Diss or some such, about 20 hours later. Ergo, all 149 miles count.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #201 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
Hah, I used the calculator on swinny.net and achieved a mighty score of:

Ah well, I only started using Strava last year so there's still hope of cracking 50 if I live a very long time :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #202 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »
This is tough - rode through a harsh Cairngorm winter to get my RRtY and completed another SR Series to see my Eddington number 'shoot up' from E66 to E71. With a number of rides in 70's it's not going to increase much this side of 2016.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

AAO

« Reply #203 on: 25 June, 2015, 07:39:13 pm »
My E Number has shot up to 51. Only another 10 rides above 52 for another leap  ::-)

« Reply #204 on: 25 June, 2015, 10:45:47 pm »
Mine's 49, based on Strava data - I started using it in December 2013 though, so it would definitely be >50 if I had records of the rides I did before then.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #205 on: 27 June, 2015, 12:16:44 am »
I've done 83 rides of 100 miles or more so it's at least 83.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #206 on: 28 June, 2015, 06:27:05 am »
Eddington is the ramp test of cycling achievements.  It gets harder as you go along.  I've had 15 century rides this year and it has moved me from E109 to E111.  I may just get to E113 by the end of the year.  Another 6 or 7 years of Audax might push it as high as 130 and then it will get stuck.

But Eddington can, in theory, be applied to any set of units, which I think would have appealed to Sir Arthur, who tried at one point to calculate the number of atoms in the universe.  So the next Eddington goal I have (rather conveniently since 100km = 500 furlongs) is to reach E500f (500 rides of 500 furlongs or more)  :smug:  I'm on 469 at the moment and at current rate of progress (1 per week) the goal will be reached early in 2016.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #207 on: 28 June, 2015, 10:51:26 am »
Just calculated this for the first time, using that third party Strava app (rides back to 2013), and my excel file of rides going back to 1980s. 

The result is:  E=42  (need 14 more rides of 50+ miles to get E=50)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #208 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »
Just clicked over to E=53.  I need 3 more rides for 54, 6 more for 55, 11 more for 56 and 24 more to get it to 63 (i.e. above 100km)...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #209 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
It has occurred to me that my age is rapidly approaching my Eddington number. As of next week, the difference will be 12.

What is better - to be able to increase your Eddington Number when your age exceeds it, or to push it into 3 figures so that you never need to worry about it?

Actually, I think I'd like to keep my Eddington Number in excess of my age by 12 years. That's quite a complicated aim, as if I decide in my 59th year to do enough >71-mile rides to knock out all of those between my provable Eddington number (67) and what I believe it to be (70), I'll have to ride that distance 17 times. The following year, to get it up to 72, I'll have to ride >72 miles 18 times. I suppose what I need to do is ensure that, during the next 12 months, I ride 17 days in excess of 71 miles, but each one incrementing by one mile, to invest make an investment for future years.

If I decided to ride (say) 10 100-mile days, although that would push my E-number much higher much sooner*, that would take away the incentive, as I get older, to keep the rides ticking over. It would be a great achievement to push my E-number into 3 figures when I'm approaching 88!

*Not strictly accurate as, of course, it's not as simple as that. However, I've got 82 100-mile rides to do to get my E-number into 3 figures. I suppose I'd better get on with it.

Thinks... shall I start a new thread?
Hands up all those whose Eddington number (miles - as defined in the original version) is greater than their age ?
Mine doesn't yet, but it will if I complete my RRTY....

As for the numbers up above 120... and therefore likely to include some 400km rides, how do you log your miles if the ride goes past midnight?

I need to get my 14x 50+mile rides done within the next year to reach equivalence; Age = E.  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #210 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:03:26 am »
Another nudge to my Eddington number at the weekend with 123.71 miles of Dun Run.

I now have 68 rides in excess of 71 miles and a further 5 of 70 or more. I therefore need 3 more rides >71 miles to shift my Eddington number.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #211 on: 07 July, 2015, 08:57:23 am »
Friday night's Lun Run took me up to an Eddington number of 39 - a nice eight-year buffer in my E>age efforts!

I think pushing up to 40 (five rides needed) will be my last big move for a while, as I've got a lot of rides in the low 40s, and getting to 50 - or even 45 - will need a fair bit of work. I've got designs on making my E=40 ride a trip to the Berkshire village of Eddington  :D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #212 on: 08 July, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »
I've ridden through Eddington many times without ever realising it  :facepalm:

I've even used it as a control and called it Hungerford.  My most profuse apologies to the community.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Worse still I have descended Eddington Hill many times (on CCB club runs) and never ridden up it  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

There is only one thing for it.  Plan the ride that takes me the next Eddington number up so that the exact Eddington distance is reached in Eddington, going up Eddington Hill  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #213 on: 05 August, 2015, 04:58:08 pm »
I have reached E= Age :)

and I'm only 3 rides off 35 too....

I also realise that since the 1st Jan I've ridden 1600 miles - and 1240 of those have been on my new Ribble... which means that in the 6 months I've had the Ribble, I've ridden more miles on it that I did in the whole of 2014.... I'm impressed with myself. My 3 cycling goals for the year (Ride London, Bruno 200 and more miles than last year) I have achieved in just 7 months. :D

« Reply #214 on: 05 August, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »
15 miles / 19 km at the moment

« Reply #215 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:27:45 am »
After yesterday's Around Weald Odyssey my Eddington No. is now the same as Eddington's Eddington No. - 84.

Based on typical ride patterns I'll hit 85 by the end of this year, be on a 100 at the end of next year but then it will take me an entire further year to get to 101  :-[  I guess, all part and parcel of why Eddington is such a fascinating / obsession-generating artefact.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #216 on: 18 August, 2015, 08:58:10 pm »
16 miles / 20km now.

Next jump after two 17mi rides, or one 21km ride.

Not sure when I'll jump up to E=18m, but should be E=21k by Thursday - planning an imperial century, provided I recover from not sleeping enough over the weekend just gone (sufficiently insufficient sleep that at one point, barakta of this fair realm later told me she'd referred to me as "Duracell the Incoherent Bunny" the night before… and I didn't learn for two further nights after that…)

Haven't been on my bike for a week, with being out of town for a few days, and now too knackered to trust myself to remember how to use brakes. Fingers crossed I recover enough spoons to actually do it…

« Reply #217 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:43:09 am »
Not sure what my (imperial) all-time cycling Eddington Number would be (probably around 50), but I'm hoping, weather permitting, to nudge my running Eddington Number up to 15 this weekend.

« Reply #218 on: 19 August, 2015, 12:46:30 pm »
My understanding of Eddington-compliant rides is that they are completed in a 24-hour period. Thus, the Dunwich Dynamo, which starts about 8pm on Saturday, doesn't normally finish until boarding a train in Diss or some such, about 20 hours later. Ergo, all 149 miles count.

IMO, the explanation on Wikipedia is a simplified version. It says ‘days’ so the reader gets the jist of what the man meant.

In our world, it is ‘rides’, where a ride is where the average speed from start to finish is greater than 14.3 kmh. Refreshments, showers, changes of clothes and sleep can be taken within the ‘ride’ providing the average speed is not below 14.3 kmh when the ride finishes.

Using these guidelines, it is possible to achieve E 370 if 10 x 600km Randos are done per year for 40 years.

Now that’s a challenge for the teenagers here.

« Reply #219 on: 21 August, 2015, 01:56:31 am »
Success on E=21km!

1 more 17mi+ ride to reach E=17mi.
2 more 22km+ rides to reach E=22km.

« Reply #220 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:20:46 am »
The theory of Eddington.

If you start off riding 25 milers. Complete 25 of them and you’ve got an Eddington of 25.

To get to a 26 Eddington, you CAN’T use any of the 25 mile rides you’ve already done, so you’re committed to ride 26 more rides of 26 miles each.
To get to 27, you’re in the same predicament as you were when you finished your 25th ride of 25 miles and decided you want an Eddington of 26.

To get a really big Eddington number several decades in the future, build up distance as fast as you can, riding as far as you can and keep doing that.

Don’t mess about riding short rides over and over. Increase your distance up to 400 km randos and keep doing them until you have got 250 of them.
You are on a thirty five to forty year quest.
Then, you have some bragging rights and receive your club’s Lifetime Achievement award.

:thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #221 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:11:34 am »
If you start off riding 25 milers. Complete 25 of them and you’ve got an Eddington of 25.

To get to a 26 Eddington, you CAN’T use any of the 25 mile rides you’ve already done, so you’re committed to ride 26 more rides of 26 miles each.
To get to 27, you’re in the same predicament as you were when you finished your 25th ride of 25 miles and decided you want an Eddington of 26.

No kidding  :facepalm: but does anyone really ride like that?

My Eddington number is 39, but only two of those are 39.something miles. The others are

4x 100+ miles,
2x 80-something miles,
2x 70-something miles,
13x 60-something miles,
5x 50-something miles, and
11x 40-something miles.

« Reply #222 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:56:52 am »
If anyone’s unsure how it works, the 30 mile daily commutes aren’t worth a jot after six weeks.

You have to put in a 50 miler once a week to get Eddington 50 after a year.

Then if you include a 100km Pop each month, it'll be 5 years to get Eddington 60.

« Reply #223 on: 21 August, 2015, 11:28:56 pm »
I must confess I haven't sat down to work out my Eddington number, I'm just going off what VeloViewer is telling me. So if it's doing the maths wrong…

« Reply #224 on: 23 August, 2015, 05:16:19 am »

No kidding  :facepalm: but does anyone really ride like that?

Er ...  :facepalm: I am that sad person. When a I discovered Eddington I made the decision: no more rides, ever, between 100k and 102miles, and I've more or less stuck to it
Eddington Number = 132