Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 64632 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #100 on: 01 November, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »
Got trouble times ahead I think, it is getting too cold to brew ale in our house, the nutella is getting harder to spread on toast, and I'm running low on stock. Don't really have a place in house that is kept warm. Most nights we are in jumpers and a fleece thrown over our legs, when it gets really cold we put the heating on the room we are in. I would like to get my next brew going a Golden Ale, but I worry it will be too brrr for it.

I can only atm wrap it in some fleeces, but I don't think that would be enough. Don't have the funds or space to get something that could keep it warm - big water tank with fish tank heater or heat wrap thing.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #101 on: 09 November, 2014, 01:58:09 pm »
It dawned on me that being 12 miles from Burton on Trent that I really might consider some IPA. I am using an American IPA kit from Cheers in Long Eaton. Wendy runs it and is very helpful and knowledgeable. The beer is awesome stuff.

We got a very lucky response on freecycle, in fact the only one in a year, and got barrels and so on.

We have country wines on the go and kit wines too and very good value they are too. We also have a device for making "essential oils" LOL

Just spent the afternoon decanting country wines and can report some serious successes. The parsnip is looking good, (for look read sip) and the dandelion is promising.

FWIW we have found that having some half gallon demijohns is incredibly handy. Slurp some cloudy cider and you have a free dj. ;)  Bulk your wine in bladders from the HB shop. Our five litre ones cost just under £8 and have had some four or five lots in them and are fit for at least the same again.

Setting up is costly there is no argument here as we have spent a fair bit on it but are now reaping the benefits which is kind to the pocket as well as the taste buds. We are finding that the wine kits are so good now (talking GOOD quality ones at some £45) the wine is pretty much drinkable instantly though a second clearing makes a fair difference.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #102 on: 20 December, 2014, 05:51:47 pm »
GN: The local homebrew shop had a 20% sale on.
BN: It is a closing down sale
GN: They may well reopen elsewhere with new management/owners.

And I have a Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge kit to try. I also bought some Goldings (Slovakian) to add a little bit more aroma to the brew.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #103 on: 27 December, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »
And it is bubbling away. The original kit was for 36 pints but I have added a little more spray malt and some styrian goldings hops and the wort is bubbling for a bit longer before allowing it to cool, diluting appropriately and fermenting.

Smell in the kitchen is quite powerful.

David Martin

« Reply #104 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:00:31 am »
Smells great but with fermentation being between 14-17 degrees it takes a while. Been running for a week and has dropped from 1042 to 1020. I'll give it another week then rack off for secondary fermentation.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #105 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:16:26 am »
Got trouble times ahead I think, it is getting too cold to brew ale in our house, the nutella is getting harder to spread on toast, and I'm running low on stock. Don't really have a place in house that is kept warm. Most nights we are in jumpers and a fleece thrown over our legs, when it gets really cold we put the heating on the room we are in. I would like to get my next brew going a Golden Ale, but I worry it will be too brrr for it.

I can only atm wrap it in some fleeces, but I don't think that would be enough. Don't have the funds or space to get something that could keep it warm - big water tank with fish tank heater or heat wrap thing.

How about one of these, Woolly?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Heater-Heating-Brewing-Belt-For-Wine-Beer-Spirits-Fermentation-Pails-D-/261579224490
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

« Reply #106 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:40:40 am »
I use one of those. You probably want to combine it with an insulating blanket as it isn't very powerful and is barely keeping the temperature up with my brew.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #107 on: 07 January, 2015, 03:02:08 am »
Quite fancy making a parsnip wine, any hints and tips?

David Martin

« Reply #108 on: 08 January, 2015, 05:45:39 pm »
SG only down to 1020. I've racked off into the keg but it has been at a fairly steady 16-17 degrees so might take a while longer.

Parsnip wine? You probably need parsnips.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #109 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:14:39 am »
Changed my mind about parsnip wine as it is just parsnip water.

David Martin

« Reply #110 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:01:26 am »
Bottled. Doesn't seem too bad at all. Might be drinkable in a few weeks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #111 on: 14 February, 2015, 10:58:14 am »
Mixed up my Draught/lager yesterday at about 22c overnight it fell to 18'ish. The blurb on Coppers says - We recommend pitching Lager yeast at 22C-24C then allowing the brew to drop to as low as 13C over the next day or so. http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/lager/detail/fresh-draught/

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
23 litre water

I got two small fish tank thermometers which are on the outside atm. I'm going to make a little hole so that one can go for a swim. I'm going to invest in a big plastic top and a fish tank heater so that I can keep the FV cosy.

Now I just got to wait, bottle and wait before I can drink.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #112 on: 15 February, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »
I'm getting obsessed with checking the temp...

Overnight it climbed to 19.2c from 18.8c in the drink. Outside, the FV under a fleece, it is keeping a steady 18.6c.

Already had a 1" krausen and there is clearly something going on in FV.

There isn't any talk about cooling the FV down, to under 5c to start the "largering", the last few days before bottling in the recipe. Would it be worth it?

No, no, no I'm not hooking it up to a RaspberryPi, even though it well tempting - the spare cash isn't there.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #113 on: 22 February, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »
The temp has been a pretty steady 14.7-15.5c the last five days. Will move it the cupboard sometime this week so it gets the last week at about 10c. That should be good enough for the draught

I'm pretty sure that I can keep a steady 15-16c with a fleece* wrapped around the FV. Would that be ok for a brew(blonde ale) that should ferment at about 18c, if I leave it a few extra days?

*/ I just got to make sure that the mutt don't grab the fleece again and try to drag it around the kitchen. The draught got a right old shake about but didn't flood the kitchen.

David Martin

« Reply #114 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »
Should be fine and better than 20-22.
all mine are done far cooler than on the label and taste fine.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #115 on: 13 March, 2015, 10:53:06 pm »
After a week at mostly 15c it is at 1011 and the IPA got a week too go. I sampled the draught tonight, only one week in bottles, but tasted pretty good. Just hope we don't get a long warm summer because I'll run out double fast then :)

David Martin

« Reply #116 on: 14 March, 2015, 07:16:51 pm »
My latest one has matured well. Nw planning on a brew for summer - thinking of a pilsner with an elderflower infusion.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #117 on: 20 March, 2015, 02:38:47 pm »
38 bottles of the IPA at FG1009, so should be a 5.9%, capped and stored away today. Was more cloudy compared to the last time I brewed it. Though I used 500g hopped light spray malt and 500g light spray malt, instead of 1kg of light spray malt. Tasted very dry and fruity, let's see how it is in four weeks.

Brewed up the next one, an American Blonde Ale named after Marilyn Monroe. First time doing a mini mash and there will be some dry hopping in five days too. Smelled hoppy and tasted very interesting, not good at describing things like that. But I'm looking forward to this, if it started this good I got high hopes.

Tonight I'll test out the Draught, been in bottles for two weeks now.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #118 on: 29 March, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »
My last brew up is going well. Tried Thursday night, after six days in the FV, to take a sample to test the FG. It was still bubbling away like one of these fizzy headache pills, think it was at 1020. Took a sample today, 1011, still bubbling away ok not as wild as the Thursday test. I think I'll give it a day or two more before I dry hop it. Can't tell the taste yet, too yeasty, though very fruity smell.

David Martin

« Reply #119 on: 03 April, 2015, 12:09:48 am »
I have just set up a brew of ginger beer. Deciding that the biological bomb approach(1) was daft, I have established a demijohn of mix, and when that stops bubbling will decant into bottles with a small amount of primer. Tastes reasonable at the start - maybe I need more ginger or a jalapeno pepper.

(1) described in threads passim where excess sugar could lead to overgassing of glass bottle shaped fragments.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #120 on: 04 April, 2015, 03:25:45 pm »
Bottled to at 1007, very fruity and dry. Looked very yellow and cloudy like a homemade cider, in my clear sample bottle. Looking forward to this one.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #121 on: 11 April, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »
After one week in bottles I did a test sample. The recipe said to enjoy early, so rude no too. Boy is that a good drop, I have tasted that kinda flavour before but can't remember the name. I will for sure brew up another pot of this since I got spare hops.

David Martin

« Reply #122 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:54:18 pm »
The ginger beer was a dismal disaster. It may make the drains smell funny though. I shall repeat with somehting more akin to a proper recipe rather than a makey uppy guestimate. I think there may have been too much lemon juice

« Reply #123 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:11:59 am »
After a short hiatus from home brewing I'm getting back into it.  In the past I've done quite a few all grain batches using the brew-in-the-bag method in a 40L tea urn. 

Last week I converted a fridge into a fermentation chamber,  STC-1000 temperature controller switching power between the fridge and a 60w greenhouse heater in the fridge. I have had my first brew bubbling away in it since then, a simcoe, citra and cascade ipa.   

I'm much more of an ale/bitter fan but fancy having a go at brewing a lager (hence the fridge).  It's getting quite expensive as the dried lager yeast is the most expensive and most recipes I've seen say to chuck a couple of packs in.

« Reply #124 on: 05 June, 2015, 09:20:35 pm »
So, brewing question - I'm brewing a lager, the kit came with plastic bottles and to each a carbonation drop is added (as far as I can tell just sugar for secondary fermentation).

How full do I fill the bottles? Because the not very informative dvd that came with the kit showed them filling to damn near the brim but surely this doesn't leave much headspace for the CO2 produced - I know they won't shatter like glass bottles but even a split one or two will make a hell of a mess of the cupboard I'll be sticking them in.

On the other hand less headspace would, I imagine, mean less chance of contamination/spoiling right?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1