Author Topic: Ingrowing toenail  (Read 1436 times)

Ingrowing toenail
« on: 23 July, 2019, 09:12:39 am »
mini ao, has had problems with an ongoing ingrowing toenail, but it's now significantly worse and now on antibiotics (from GP).  The earliest she can get an initial consultation NHS podiatrist appmt is later Sept, so it looks like she will have to have a procedure privately (£££) at a podiatrist.  As I understand it they (and NHS) do a local, then take a strip of nail off right down (avulsion), and partially sterilise the nail bed.  Does anyone know about this?  Had it done?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Ingrowing toenail
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:54:58 am »
Never had it done.
Done it lots.

Your understanding is correct.

Local anaesthetic can be pretty sore but toe should be well numbed thereafter.
The side of the nail is removed and the growing part of the nail bed at the side is treated with acid to prevent regrowth of the offending side of the nail.

Has anyone tried cauterising the side of the nail with silver nitrate?

Wish mini well.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:02:18 am »
I have had both my big toes done like this as a teenager after nothing else worked. Wasn't too traumatic and I have never had any issues since. Wishing mini AO a swift recovery.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2019, 11:18:37 am »
I've had it done twice on the same toe. The first time it was done privately because the pain was hell and the NHS wait was too long. After 2 years it happened again, and I got the NHS in London to operate much faster. It's been good since.

The secret is to have it done and then quit your white collar job and become a messenger cyclist/student so you never wear stuffy 'smart' shoes ever again except rare occasions. I recommend it!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:00:06 pm »
My ex had it done.  It was fairly minging at the time, but seems to have been effective.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »
My previous cleaning lady's son had it done by a podiatrist in London a few years back.

ISTR she paid £180.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:31:57 pm »
Had one side of a big toe done (as you describe) 25 years ago and it's not bothered me since. Toe was bandaged for a while, as I recall, but I don't remember it being particularly painful – unlike when an AA man dropped a tool chest on that toe shortly before I had the procedure...

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:50:26 pm »
Thanks all. 

Hopefully it will fix the issue.   Costing £400+   :(  (includes a few revisits for redressing etc )   At the place she's been before.  Toe is too much of a mess to wait for the NHS, unfortunately.  miniao back up North to uni in Sept too.  Probably should have got a referral from the GP after the first episode of podiatrist trimming the nail back.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2019, 11:12:36 pm »
I had it done, left toe on NHS in 1979, right toe in Australia in 1982,  CET Junior has just had his done this week on NHS, his week wasn't as long, but it does mean waiting rooms for hell for the several times he will need to dressing changed until its fully healed.   I had a similar experience with podiatrists trying various techniques to trim bits back, which were about as effective as King Canute holding back the tide.

I've not had any problems, although the Aussies didn't to a good job and the nail grew back not at full strength which has left it susceptible to nail fungus. 

Took up running again aged 47 and managed half marathon distance 70 times on them, so no long term issues even with the nail that grew back.

Mini AO will be up and running soon.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)