Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I've never driven after a night ride (well, not until I've had some sleep) but I have been driven, or sat on a train, after most of them.  I concur that you suddenly drop off to sleep without feeling particularly drowsy.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 08:07:41 pm »
The day after we of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party seize control of the means of production we will be tasking the Sweeney with tracking down the people who:
  • Pluck items from supermarket shelves, and
  • Peer at them myopically, and
  • Put them back somewhere other than where they originated
and smashing up their living rooms on a basis both frequent and regular until they get the message and emigrate.
Did somebody inadvertently buy the wrong (miss-shelved) product?
The Knowledge / Re: Tyre width
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 08:06:23 pm »
I remember it as 1 1/8" for fast club riders, 1 1/4" for tourers, so that would be 28.5mm for club, 31.5mm for touring.
In 2019 I was able to visit Rambouillet for the PBP and helped out a bit too.  I was also able to ride from Rambouillet to Dreux and back and followed some of the PBP riders for a while.  This of course was the last part of the ride and suddenly a rider in front of me just went from one side of the road to the other and almost fell from his bike.  I knew straight away that he had momentarily fell asleep while cycling.  He then stopped at the side of the road even though it was probably less than 30k from the finish.

I too have driven home after a long event and thankfully made it home without any incident but that was a good few years ago.  I also had a job with a courier firm and did a job each week from Birmingham to Paris and back, a distance of 750 miles.  The quickest I ever did it was in about 16 hours and the slowest took over 24 hours.  We were paid by the mile and I know of some younger drivers that were doing that distance and more every day of the week.  As I was getting older I eventually decided that I could no longer do these long distances anymore and quit the job.  Thankfully I completed the journey everytime without any problems but was I just lucky or crazy.  Maybe both.  Many lessons have been learned but it is still something many cyclists and/or drivers will still do sadly.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 07:24:01 pm »
Midnight Creeper ~ Eagles Of DETH Metal
I've only ever dozed off once.
That was whilst driving an artic.
Thankfully, no one came to any harm.
It isn't an experience I'd care to repeat.
Thanks for sharing and heal swiftly, Garry.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Last post by barakta on Today at 07:21:44 pm »
Acrobat installer insisted I close all of MS Office or Teams while it took its sweet time to install.

This was after Lenovo's software updater tool didn't just do its "I am shutting down in 5 mins" countdown, it just stole focus 5 times after being started off (stopping me typing/working, disrupting the thing in my brain) but then just unilaterally shut my machine down at random. I managed to halt it, save my work but then had to RERUN the installer and sit there hitting next and watching it focus-steal and then shut down. A further 15+ mins interruption to my work.

It's the theft of executive function by shitty updater tools which BOILS MY PISS. I have a job to do, am trying to work. Every interrupt deletes things I am thinking out of my brain and I'm now scared Lenovo will unilaterally deboot my machine while I'm in a meeting or something time critical.

Linux never demands I reboot NOW. It tells me "Oh hai, FOO needs a reboot whenever you're ready" and it doesn't go unstable and crashy when there's an update awaiting a reboot which my work machine also does frequently.
« Last post by spesh on Today at 07:19:21 pm »
Meet The Creeper - Rob Zombie
« Last post by rafletcher on Today at 07:05:12 pm »
Midnight Rambler - The Rolling Stones
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10