Author Topic: New Fixie  (Read 4093 times)

New Fixie
« on: 21 March, 2017, 10:08:46 pm »
I am in the rather pleasurable position of going to getting a bonus in this months pay packet AND the Mrs not nagging that the bathroom needs fixing or she need some more shoes. It's not going to be thousands and it won't be jetting of to somewhere warm & sunny, but it's enough to buy a mid range fixie.  So a bit of advice please.

First off I'm not a fast rider so no track specials. Secondly at the moment I'm 18st so no lightweight track specials please. Bars, flat or the Bull Horn type, and the rest need to be pretty much road/occasional railway track oriented. Gearing, it's got to be pretty low, I can bowl along the road at a moderate pace for some good distances, but hills & me arn't good friends. I hope that the weight & hills thing will slowly improve, but I've been saying that for years.

I live in the more remote side of Shropshire but traveling north to N Wales, Merseyside or into the West Midlands isn't a a great problem if someone knows a particularly good shop/builder. Budget isn't unlimited but four hundred pounds or maybe a bit more wouldn't be out of the question.

So any suggestions?

Re: New Fixie
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:17:15 am »
Last September I bought an On-One Pompino (https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPKOJV4/on-one-pompino-v4-drop-bar-urban-bike), for £450 at the time. It was my first fixed bike and since then we've done about 1500km together.

I've replaced the rear cog a couple of times (trying out different ratios), added mudguards and more recently bought a new front wheel (with a dynamo). I'm very, very happy with the bike - it is comfortable, seems well put together and didn't break the bank.

Overall very impressed.

It comes with drops - presumably you'd have to replace them and the brake levers if you want flat or horn. Or, of course, you could buy the frame and build things up yourself. It's also £499 now (we blame Brexit, right?).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2017, 10:40:57 am »
I'd vote Genesis Flyer.  I have a Ridgeback Solo, which is essentially the same thing, as my commuting bike.  I've changed wheels on mine (the hubs & rims have been repurposed to my faster fixie) for hub dynamo and S3X, and fitted bullhorns (but used original levers).  Original saddle was OK, but I changed it for a Charge Spoon.

Showing at £649 on the Genesis website

Fuji Feather is also an attractive bike. 
http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/city/urban/feather/feather#
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »
I saw the Fuji Feather in a mag and thought it looked great and was very good value.  It's more relaxed geometry than a real track bike, which has the front wheel scrunched right into the downtube. 

I would check the chainline though - if it's anything like my Fuji Track, chainline out of the box is woeful.  Also, the gearing is a bit high for road use; a 17T cog would sort it out.  The weight is somewhat offputting but I imagine that includes pedals.  It should be about 18lb without pedals if you lose the rear brake (I know, I know) and put some decent tyres on it.

It does sound as if you're in the market for a gravel bike, though, and the Pompino would be better for that because you can fit 35mm tyres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:27:25 pm »
I'd vote Genesis Flyer.

+1. I have a 2014 model and it's lovely. The 2016 can be had for under £500, though it comes with drops rather than flat/bullhorns, and I don't think it could take tyres bigger than 28mm. Something like a Charge Plug or Kona Paddy Wagon might work as they don't have drops, though I've not tried either.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:11:14 pm »
I think you're probably right about the tyre size.  I use 25s generally, but can do 28s.  I use 30 section cross tyres for snow, but without guards.

I don't think the frame proportions have changed since the Solo.

Charge Plug is always worth a look.  The Paddy Wagon, I considered for a while, but rejected as a bit too hefty.  May work for the Good Captain's purposes.

Surly Steamroller is a tough old beast, as well...
Getting there...

Aan

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
Cot Sisko:

Recent experience of both the Fuji Feather and the Genesis Flyer. I'm heavy and old, by the way.
Fuji Feather in matte black with dark green decals and traditional geometry (horizontal top tube) looked fantastic. However, it creaked like crazy when honking uphill and all the components whispered "economy".
It now enjoys an adventurous life around London being ridden by my (lightweight) son, who absolutely loves it.

Genesis Flyer, it's replacement, is much better quality and build. It doesn't look as good, but works beautifully without creaking. I've done many hundreds of miles on it, all fixed, and loved all of them.

Handlebars: I ride with drops with hands almost always on the hoods. Why not try them. It's easy and cheap to swap if they don't suit.

Gearing: I started off low, then got fed up with spinning out down the slightest of slopes so switched to 46 X 18 i.e. Around 70" and found, to my amazement that the hills were no harder than in a low gear.

Incidentally, bot bikes were bought on eBay from sellers who had bought them, given up very quickly then stored them in the garage for a few years before offering them for peanuts: I paid less than £150 for each and they were as good as new. Admittedly I did have to travel to collect them.

Interested to know how you've got on with this.