Author Topic: Beer - why is it making me ill?  (Read 2450 times)

Beer - why is it making me ill?
« on: 30 May, 2011, 10:56:11 pm »
I've been drinking beer for over 30 years. 4-6 pints a night in my early 20's with no ill effect. I drank less frequently and fewer pints as I aged. About 4 years ago I'd only get a mild hangover after 4-5 pints.

In the last 18 months or so, I've been feeling nausious the morning after drinking 4 or more pints, and it's been getting worse.

Last night I drank 3 pints and was sick and generally 'wiped out' for about 1/2 a day.

Is there something wrong with me? Am I just getting old? >:(

Should I just give beer up altogether?  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

border-rider

Re: Beer - why is it making me ill?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:01:32 pm »
Getting old, and your liver's getting tired.  And beer is stronger these days than when were lads...

3-4's a lot for  me too these days (though oddly I can still drink almost any amount of wine)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:03:23 pm »
It might be your age, it might be your liver, it might be something else. I think you should see your GP and have some simple blood tests for liver function, kidney function, blood sugar and a blood count. These are all cheap simple tests so your GP shouldn't grumble.
Leave off the sauce for now.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:10:31 pm »
Drink G and T or long Island ice tea.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »
Can you drink anything else?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »
On the bright side, it could just be a particular yeast or similar. Adnams Broadside is lovely (and a little stronger than average) but not much does nasty things to me these days.

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:07:48 pm »
Can you drink anything else?

3/4 bottle of wine does nothing to me (I don't often drink it though) and I have a dram of whiskey from the flask on my bike on winter rides, but it's not the sort of thing I drink when out socially.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2011, 11:31:42 am »
I can't remember the last time I drank more than 3 pints. The last time I drank 3, I was definitely squiffy. A fourth would have had me in "a bit pissed". However, I wouldn't have been sick. Giving up beer seems drastic - I'd be conducting extensive self-experiments, and probably submit myself to a battery of food allergy tests before I did that.

Adnams Broadside is indeed lovely.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2011, 12:05:26 pm »
I found when i was in my mid-20s I could do 4 or 5 pints and have no after effects
Then as I got older I found it more difficult

The worse beer for after effects is the nicest to drink.  So real ale is bad.  Becks and other german lager is good, I assume because of the purity laws

Like MV I can drink more wine than beer.  But the same thing still holds.  Pure German Reisling is easier than Bulgarian Cab Suv.

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2011, 12:23:09 pm »
A couple of pints is usually enough for me, though it does occasionally get to four. I won't go above that. Always 'proper' beer (in this country). I do look at alcohol strengths and tend to go for the weaker ones - less than 4%.

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
Beer consumption has certainly started to have an effect on me. I recently had 6 500cl bottles of 5% lager over a two hour period at a quiz at the United Reform Church in Leyland.
Our team won. But I have no recollection of how I dealt with the empty bottles when we helped clear the tables and chairs away, or indeed of the 2 mile bike ride back home. I blame the fact that we didn't have the Hot Pot until half time.
A few years ago I'd have gone for a couple of pints afterwards and disposed of the bottles in the recycling bins at Tesco.

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »
Last month average unit consumption (NHS Drinks Tracker app):

"
Your average daily units in the last 30 days was 6.7, which is 2.7 units more than the daily recommended amount for men.

Drinking above the recommended levels can seriously affect your long-term health.
"

My aim is to get down below and stick below the 28 units/week maximum. Once I've done that I'll hopefully drop even further.

Part of the problem is that booze consumption doesn't seem to have any direct 'ill effects' at the time, but such sustained drinking is doing unseen damage that comes back, all of a sudden, to scare you in later life.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:28:28 pm »
It'll be the volume. Switch to a bottle of gin - much easier to get down, I found (to my cost).
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:04:07 pm »
Although I am quite young, I can't really drink pints after pint any more, my stomach can't stand it and I now sometimes spend weeks without drinking.

When I go to the pub I sometimes drink one or maximum two pints of real ale and I enjoy it more than i used to as my sense of taste is better, food tastes better also.

Listen to your body and you won't regret it.
Chief cat entertainer.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2011, 12:17:39 am »
I recently had 6 500cl bottles of 5% lager over a two hour period at a quiz at the United Reform Church in Leyland.

This is a rich sentence - worthy of Lance Percival himself.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2011, 02:13:05 am »
I recently had 6 500cl bottles of 5% lager over a two hour period at a quiz at the United Reform Church in Leyland.

This is a rich sentence

Pithy.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:56:12 am »

This is a rich sentence

Pithy.

I expect he was pithed afterwards.