Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147895 times)

Re: womens record
« Reply #75 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »
All that. I could ride 100 miles any day of the week. But every day? For a year?

Good luck to her- we've seen how much luck has been a factor for Steve, so I hope she gets the good kind.
I hope I'll get a chance to ride behind her at some point this year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »
I hope I'll get a chance to ride behind her at some point this year.

That too.  She's using roads that are within bike ride range of here, so it'd be rude not to turn up and make encouraging noises.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #77 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »
I notice she's starting a 100-miler in Billericay next Sunday. I am quite tempted to put my name down. It's a 7.30 start and I probably wouldn't finish (she's looking to ride it in 11 hours or so) but it looks like a lot of fun.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #78 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
Damn, that's a shame. I'll be returning from NYC late morning on 10th.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #79 on: 03 January, 2016, 08:39:42 pm »
Of course, I have just been reminded that I am due in Maidstone next Sunday for babysitting purposes. However, there are trains and I can get to Billericay for a 7.30 start. It's perfectly OK for people to dip in and out of these rides, so I will probably do about 25 miles and then head back by my own route.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #80 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:33:08 pm »
Tough day today.  Shorter miles.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:37:10 pm »
Tough day today.  Shorter miles.

Shite weather, until about an hour before it got dark.  I reckon those going for the women's record have a substantial advantage over the men in terms of being able to afford to spend time off the bike avoiding the worst of the weather conditions, and make it up later.

« Reply #82 on: 04 January, 2016, 07:52:29 am »
Anne Hunt did shedloads on encouraging women in 2015, she needs a huge clap for this:-

http://www.tributetobillie.co.uk/

I note from Strava that Kajsa is riding "Billie"  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #83 on: 04 January, 2016, 08:39:49 am »
I thought Guiness charged like a bull.

After the messing around with the round-the-world record, I personally wouldn't trust them.

Thanks for the post, Burlycross, that was really interesting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #84 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:00:21 am »
I have put my name down for next Sunday's ride. It's a 7.00 start, so before sunrise. They are quite happy with part-time company so I will bail at Takeley (near Stansted Airport) and work my way back along the Flitch Way to Witham station and then home.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/eastanglia/billerwitham.gpx

The official route is available on FB/Strava.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #85 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:27:20 am »
I thought Guiness charged like a bull.

After the messing around with the round-the-world record, I personally wouldn't trust them.

Thanks for the post, Burlycross, that was really interesting.

Exactly my thoughts and I tried to express those to her. I suggested she check with them after say a week that everything she was doing was OK just in case, before anything gets out of control.  To me Mike Hall is the round the world record holder.

red marley

« Reply #86 on: 04 January, 2016, 10:33:26 am »
I notice one of the (several) extra challenges Kajsa faces doing the Guinness approved record is that she has to start each new day where she finished the previous one. Yesterday she cut her ride short at Kegworth because of the grim weather. So today she's had to start from there before riding back to join her planned route for today.

« Reply #87 on: 04 January, 2016, 11:10:37 am »
I'd guess that's to stop fun and games such as being driven to the top of Venotux (or some other big hill) for the start of each day for some free miles of easy descending.

The HAMR rules don't prevent this either, nor do they prevent transits mid ride (as long as the tracker is turned off during the transit). Imagine being dropped off at the top of Yad Moss and freewheeling most of the way down to Middleton-In-Teesdale (yes, there are some up bits along the way), then picked up by vehicle and taken back to the top of Yad Moss. A back of an envelope calculation gives 250 miles available in less than 14 hours, and any eating can be done in the van on the way back up (and not much calories or rest would be required given the relative lack of effort required). It's not that much faster than proper riding, but it certainly would be easier on the body. Horrendously tedious though, and far from the spirit of the original record. Good to see no-one, so far, has attempted anything like this under the HAMR rules. (I think they'd quickly add some kind of rule to prevent this if someone tried it.)

The Guiness rules seem more the Audax spirit if anything (I know several Audaxers who had mechanicals and received lifts from strangers [lifts to bike shops or houses for repairs] and had to be dropped or ride back to where they had originally stopped before continuing).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #88 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:33:13 pm »
Well after a somewhat downbeat end to yesterday, she's up and out again, and already well into todays mileage.

I like the tracker being linked to streetview, and the fact that she upload photos en=route.

Of course it's not as hardcore as Steve's attempt, and maybe Matt is right in saying it's not an athletic challenge (one can only imagine the distances someone like Chrissy Wellington could get to if she wanted) - but it certainly is a challenge beyond the vast majority of us, mentally and physically.

Go Kajsa  :thumbsup:

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #89 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:04:57 pm »
Funny watching Kajsa's northerly and Steve's southerly  tracker this morning - they were on a course to meet,  then both did an about turn at about the same time and headed off in opposite directions :-)

« Reply #90 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:09:24 pm »
I have never been a mile monster, but even my efforts were nowhere near this. 5 days a week of 50 miles a day and I had issues such as muscle wastage (fixed by considerably upping my protein intake).

100miles, every single day, for a year? Sure it's no athletic challenge in the cardio-vascular sense, but it is a challenge on managing the wear and tear to her body. Really, really not easy. When a tough bird like boab say's she'd find it hard, then you have to listen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #91 on: 04 January, 2016, 03:25:08 pm »
I'm impressed. She was stopped for quite a while in Newark, and I thought she'd maybe called it a day early after yesterdays trials.  I was wrong - she's started off again. Early days, but showing grit.

« Reply #92 on: 04 January, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »
Looking like Kajsa and Steve are heading towards each other once again..... :thumbsup:

« Reply #93 on: 04 January, 2016, 03:29:00 pm »
I've started to arrange a new sheet (matching the one I've done for the Men's record - https://goo.gl/RBHtiS) for the Womens record.

I've found Kajsa's Strava page, and her details are in, but I'm having some difficulty finding the daily distances for Billie. http://www.tributetobillie.co.uk/ seems to give them, but I'm not sure if they are the correct daily distances, or what they managed as part of the tribute ride. Can anyone confirm that they are, or point me at a good set of Billie's daily distances?

Thanks!

I'll share the sheet once I've got it all updated.

« Reply #94 on: 04 January, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »
Try a pm to Citizenfish, pretty sure he will have details or references for Billie's rides, as he went to meet her as part of his research for 'The Year' book.

« Reply #95 on: 04 January, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »
Cheers, Just as a note, the data on http://www.tributetobillie.co.uk/ is missing at least 14 days of riding, but looks like it is the right data outside of that.

It also looks like the details of Billie's routes have been kept much better than those of Tommy. It would be really interesting if we also have riding times for her, although I suspect that might be hard to work out.

« Reply #96 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »
Kajsa seems to have been paused for over three hours in Elton near Newark, so I presume that's it for today?

red marley

« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »
She's uploaded her ride for the day – 104 miles – with the comment "Day 4 - a loooooong day, but it hardly rained at all. Legs were super tired and hurt at even the thought of a hill, luckily there weren't many of them!"

At the risk of upsetting LWaB, nice one Kajsa!

« Reply #98 on: 04 January, 2016, 11:38:30 pm »
I've just finished tidying the spreadsheet for the Women's Record Attempt, which can be found at https://goo.gl/lYClYG

Hopefully it'll be as interesting as the Men's attempts have been...

Thanks to Citizenfish and jo for pushing me the distance data.

« Reply #99 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:12:30 am »
She's uploaded her ride for the day – 104 miles ...
At the risk of upsetting LWaB, nice one Kajsa!
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with encouraging this effort - she was up on Dovey's mileage already, and the 104 miles pushed her average up, even higher than the Dovey Line.  Well done indeed, Kajsa!

Compare and contrast with what 181 miles did for Steve's situation...