Author Topic: warning idiot alert  (Read 1059 times)

warning idiot alert
« on: 09 March, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
 ok so my edge 305 died on Sunday :(, I have been doing some major surgery on it :o................ I think it might be OK, just need to get my hands on some loctite 380 to glue it back together unless some one can suggest something else,

Any way I've got my hands on an etrex vista Hcx, 2nd hand so I've been trying to download a route,
I've tried bike hike but it just freezes up when I try to download the route, so I've been reading the gps forums here, unfortunately my brain just goes into melt down after the first few words.

I've followed the info on the AUK site to do a reset and basic set up and I've managed that, but what I'm thinking is I'm needing to download something, but I'm not sure what,     

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: warning idiot alert
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2012, 11:05:56 pm »
For downloading a route direct from Bikehike, you need the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Download it from here, and install it: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:14:02 am »
and forget everything you ever knew about the Edge. (At least, until you get it working again)

I expect your 2nd-hand Vista didn't include the software it was originally supplied with.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2012, 01:54:21 pm »
Hi FF, no it didn't come with any software, but the sd card has got "stuff" on it.
I've managed to download Basecamp and I've managed to download one of my regular rides well two actually but one has loaded as a track and the other as a route (I Think) I'm hoping to get out later and see what I've achieved exactly.
I've followed a link from fuaran http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55894.msg1143075#msg1143075 this is it I hope
so I'm in the middle of sorting that out, but anything would help, oh! I have downloaded the user manual but it tells me what the unit can do but not how to do it, or is that just me. Just one more thing when I've put my route in to the unit the map of the area comes up so that must be a good sign, right ?? , and I bought the unit from a fellow yacf'er 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »
Main thing with a Vista or Venture is that you have a max. of 500 points / track. This puzzled me no end until I RTFM'd.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight