Author Topic: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020  (Read 19053 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
So, permanents up to 200km will be sanctioned by AUK, from 1st August, therefore I'm proposing an ACME group perm on that day to celebrate! All welcome, small groups or solo, whatever you're comfortable with, socially distanced etc, subject to any government restrictions which may be introduced or eased by that date ...

I suggest my Boudicca's Revenge 200, with the option of the 100km route for anyone lacking full randonnee fitness. Takeaway food and drink should be available at Buntingford [shops, including bakers], Potton [ditto], Chatteris [likewise] and the Cambridge A14 services [apparently fully open, including toilets]. The Angel and Harp should still be doing takeaway beer in their car park on weekend evenings, to celebrate at the arrivee. [Food pre-ordered only, though there are plenty of fast food outlets up the town.] By August maybe more options will be available.

Deano4

• Trouble
Re: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:14:01 pm »
Sounds like fun!

I'm in!  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:29:17 pm »
Entry after midnight, then, for an 8am start? Or are permanents being opened for entry a few days before so they can be ridden on 1 Aug? Asking for a friend.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:47:58 am »
Entry after midnight, then, for an 8am start? Or are permanents being opened for entry a few days before so they can be ridden on 1 Aug? Asking for a friend.

Well in this organiser's case, let me know you're riding, turn up on my doorstep on Saturday morning, pick a pre-packaged brevet from a shoebox in exchange for your perm event application form [I'll have spares should you need them].

At the end, stick in my post box with receipts, brevet filled in etc and I'll inspect, validate, after 72 hours ...

All I know is that perms are approved for validation from 1st August.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:43:46 am »
I do feel the Board haven't quite thought that side of things through. However they're hardly going to change their stance in the light of an event like this.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

rob

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:47:02 am »
Should be in.   I was going to enter all your perms ready for August.   It will be a short ride to the start.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:32:17 am »
I do feel the Board haven't quite thought that side of things through. However they're hardly going to change their stance in the light of an event like this.

This is what the letter to members said:

There may still be some differences in the rules covering the number of people who may gather or ride together and I would remind all members that they must comply fully with any requirements specific to the region in which they are riding.

The Board did discuss this point and, in the end, concluded that, for better or for worse, it had to rely on members' good sense both in keeping with the spirit of both the government's advice and its own desire to re-start events and not doing anything that might risk bringing the organisation into disrepute.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:49:07 am »
I was referring to the bit that says:

Those [perms] that are available will be open for entry on the audax.uk web site and/or by post from August 1st. DIY riders will be able to enter their events at the same time.

I feel they could facilitate entries shortly before 1st August.
The prospect of some web admin sitting hovering over the 'enable' switch** on the stroke of midnight isn't going to happen, not least because these days that could carry a cost implication.

** if it were me I'd put it on a timer but again, that is extra programming that could have a cost implication.

Currently anyone who entered a DIY (including GPS DIY) shortly before lockdown should be good to go on 1st August - that is assuming the relevant DIY Org is willing - the GPS files are still stored online and now won't be deleted until much later in the year, the various upload links in the emails should still be valid.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2020, 01:14:07 pm »
Thank you, Francis.
That was mainly my point: would seem entirely sensible and reasonable to allow the entry mechanism for @Tomsk's Permanent (and all other such events (<=200km) to be enabled say a week before, or even a month before, for extra salivation. This would obviate any 'surge' of admin for organisers (especially Area DIY Organisers).
Some riders (eg ACME in the case of this thread) will want to celebrate Audax UK's audacious decision to resume encouragement for and validation of long distance rides on 1 Aug by riding a DIY or Permanent that day. I will.
At present, for electronic entry as opposed to @Tomsk's admirable work-around, a rider will have to stay up till after midnight, make the entry, and then grab a few hours sleep before an early doors start (or faff around with the sun already up logging in, entering etc in between a hurried breakfast and filling bottles).
Entirely avoidable with a bit of finesse, and I doubt the Board intended this entry/ride time compression.
Not quite sure why this admirable ACME initiative would have any adverse effect on the Board's consideration of whether to refine a minor detail of the plan. Any rides entered in July and ridden in July would remain ineligible for validation. This isn't a 'stance' change: it's admin (of which you are the knowledge master and to whom we all owe much gratitude). Groups of up to 6 riders, socially distancing seems entirely within England guidelines (which will be 100cm by 1 Aug). Isn't that @Tomsk's plan? And probably the max 6 limitation will have been increased by then.
So, permanents up to 200km will be sanctioned by AUK, from 1st August, therefore I'm proposing an ACME group perm on that day to celebrate! All welcome, small groups or solo, whatever you're comfortable with, socially distanced etc, subject to any government restrictions which may be introduced or eased by that date ...
[Edit: my emboldening]

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2020, 03:48:23 pm »
I was planning to start a DIY at about 6AM JST on August 1st, so I certainly hope the website opens before UTC midnight...

bairn again

« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2020, 04:22:33 pm »
Oh that looks a good idea.  Despite being an occasional guest on ACME rides Ive no reason to be anywhere near.   

Id not twigged that 1 August was a Saturday.   Can see it being popular!   

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:23:00 pm »
Oh that looks a good idea.  Despite being an occasional guest on ACME rides Ive no reason to be anywhere near.   

Id not twigged that 1 August was a Saturday.   Can see it being popular!   

Following the government's lead, the easing of restrictions might have started on Monday 3rd!

We happened to se an AC Hackney peloton for a little chat last Saturday - they had the same idea for a perm on 1st.

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:22:10 pm »
Pass obtained so I’m in   :thumbsup:

dod

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:57:09 pm »
Do the perm rules allow for a start on the same day from Chatteris instead?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2020, 08:03:05 am »

:thumbsup: Yes! The rules allow you to start at or between any control, [with additional proof-of-passage for the latter], ride in reverse, all ok. If the weather's 'orrible, stay in bed and ride another day - courtesy to let the organiser know your plans though.

Maybe we'll see you on the road - twice if you ride the route backwards. Though for 'Boudicca' reversed you get to climb the benign sides of Chapel Hill [both the Haslingfield and Stansted ones] and Royston Lane!

dod

« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:13:58 pm »

:thumbsup: Yes! The rules allow you to start at or between any control, [with additional proof-of-passage for the latter], ride in reverse, all ok. If the weather's 'orrible, stay in bed and ride another day - courtesy to let the organiser know your plans though.

Maybe we'll see you on the road - twice if you ride the route backwards. Though for 'Boudicca' reversed you get to climb the benign sides of Chapel Hill [both the Haslingfield and Stansted ones] and Royston Lane!

Splendid :)

I thought about turning it into some kind of Audax pursuit event where anyone catching me wins a coffee and cake prize, but doing the route backwards sounds much more tempting!

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:45:56 pm »
:thumbsup: Yes! The rules allow you to start at or between any control, ... ride in reverse, all ok.
This sounds good. Thinks about starting the 100 from Buntingford with a small EnCE... I might even not get caught for a bit :thumbsup:

Do any of us starting elsewhere pick up brevets part-way round? I suppose we can collect receipts without them, and the absence of the card from the organiser's box would be evidence of passage through the normal start ;D

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:42:08 pm »
Interested but starting it from Buntingford. 

« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:06:37 pm »
I thought about turning it into some kind of Audax pursuit event...
Isn't there some kind of pursuit where six people start evenly-spaced around a track and anyone caught has to drop out? Last one going wins. Not sure how many 200km, or 100km, laps that might take :o

« Reply #19 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:24:14 am »
Yes it’s called Australian rules pursuit.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:39:35 am »
An Australian pursuit is the bicycle race. Australian Rules is an entertaining variation of Gaelic football.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:08:47 am »
Australian Rules is an entertaining variation of Gaelic football.

And then International Rules is a mixture of both played between Ireland and Australian teams every so often. Saw a game once at Croke Park when I was in Dublin. Mesmerising.

</digress>
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:38:39 am »
:thumbsup: Yes! The rules allow you to start at or between any control, ... ride in reverse, all ok.
This sounds good. Thinks about starting the 100 from Buntingford with a small EnCE... I might even not get caught for a bit :thumbsup:

Do any of us starting elsewhere pick up brevets part-way round? I suppose we can collect receipts without them, and the absence of the card from the organiser's box would be evidence of passage through the normal start ;D

Bung a form, SAEs and payment in the post well in advance and I'll post the brevet back. Post back to me in the usual way.

I'll have a good stash of 100 & 200 Boudicca cards prepared anyway.

« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:15:11 pm »
An Australian pursuit is the bicycle race.
Thanks both. Curiously that name came back to me in the shower this morning.

« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:23:11 am »
Meh - camping with the kids, otherwise would have loved to.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind