Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2465528 times)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5825 on: 03 November, 2012, 10:34:04 am »
That looks splendid Jurek!

« Reply #5826 on: 03 November, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »
My new do it all bike, commuting, around town etc

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5827 on: 03 November, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »
Behold, the Green Machine (or Genesis #3, if you prefer) ... only waiting for the grips to turn up, but it's now rideable :)

One thing that the photograph isn't able to convey is the extremely clicktastic goodness that is a White Industries freewheel. More interestingly, despite being a 29er the geometry is damn near the same as my Surly 1x1(1) meaning that once the saddle is broken in it'll be like riding an off-road sofa. Which is nice.

A few local road-ish rides are in order, just to get the position fine-tuned and the brake pads bedded in then I'm going to book a couple of days off at the end of the month and head up to Dalby for a 'proper' shakedown of both the bike and the rider ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5828 on: 03 November, 2012, 05:48:03 pm »
Domestique, that bike exudes a subtle charm.

Interzen, that looks rather good.  Bet you're itching to get those grips. ;D

What's the chainset?  That looks like a tiny chainring.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5829 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:01:09 pm »
Interzen, that looks rather good.  Bet you're itching to get those grips. ;D
Yup - the only reason that the bike hasn't been put onto the turbo is because it wouldn't play nice with 2.2" tyres :)
I had to pay a second trip to the LBS earlier and I had to fight the urge to get some el-cheapo foam grips as an interim solution ...

What's the chainset?  That looks like a tiny chainring.
Deore cranks with a 32T Salsa chainring and On-One bash-guard - the gearing is 32x17 which, if you believe conventional wisdom, is about right for a singlespeed 29er, but since the bike is fairly light I'll probably get away with it. Plus, I'm not ashamed to get off and push if I have to ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5830 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:06:28 pm »
Can you get a smaller ring on that crank?

*plots*
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5831 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »
Can you get a smaller ring on that crank?

*plots*
If you used the inner ring position, yes - as it stands, the chainring and bash-guard use the middle and outer positions (respectively) which are 104mm BCD, meaning 32T is as small as you can go. The inner position is 64mm BCD, so the lower limit there is 22T.

Some dedicated S/S chainsets might allow you to go smaller, but you often end up paying through the nose for the privilege. The cheapest option in this case was to buy the Deore chainset (£50 from CRC) and flog the chainrings since they wouldn't be much cop for a singlespeed due to the shifting ramps etc. I did something similar on my 1x1.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5832 on: 03 November, 2012, 11:12:00 pm »
nice and shiny! it looks the same as the one before, doesn't it? many happy miles! (needs some finishing touches, though ;))
Thanks.
For those that way inclined, here's an A&B (old with bottle cages / new without)

(needs some finishing touches, though ;))
What you mean ???

You had an electrician move the power point between those two photos being taken, didn't you?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #5833 on: 04 November, 2012, 12:37:19 am »
Behold, the Green Machine (or Genesis #3, if you prefer) ... only waiting for the grips to turn up, but it's now rideable :)

One thing that the photograph isn't able to convey is the extremely clicktastic goodness that is a White Industries freewheel. More interestingly, despite being a 29er the geometry is damn near the same as my Surly 1x1(1) meaning that once the saddle is broken in it'll be like riding an off-road sofa. Which is nice.

A few local road-ish rides are in order, just to get the position fine-tuned and the brake pads bedded in then I'm going to book a couple of days off at the end of the month and head up to Dalby for a 'proper' shakedown of both the bike and the rider ;D

That's lovely

« Reply #5834 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:16:28 am »
You had an electrician move the power point between those two photos being taken, didn't you?

If only you knew how close I came to photoshopping those out of the picture......

« Reply #5835 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:22:17 am »
If only you knew how close I came to photoshopping those out of the picture......
You should've hung a sheet so that it puddled in an artistic way on the floor.  :thumbsup: Not the Spongebob or Aerial sheets though!  :facepalm:

« Reply #5836 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:26:32 am »
You should've hung a sheet so that it puddled in an artistic way on the floor.  :thumbsup: Not the Spongebob or Aerial sheets though!  :facepalm:

Are you suggesting that my linoleum is unattractive?

« Reply #5837 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
Are you suggesting that my linoleum is unattractive?
You could pull the linoleum up the wall but hanging a sheet would be a hell of a lot easier!

« Reply #5838 on: 04 November, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »

Nice, especially the co-ordinated saddle. Not seen one in that colour before. :thumbsup:

Needs green cables though!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5839 on: 05 November, 2012, 12:02:44 am »
Jurek definitely wins the Shiny award.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5840 on: 05 November, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
Oh no, not rubbing the titanium with baby oil again.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5841 on: 05 November, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »
Might've done ....  :smug:

« Reply #5842 on: 05 November, 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
There is a theory that this weakens the frame and makes it prone to cracking.

« Reply #5843 on: 05 November, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYDiPizDIs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYDiPizDIs&rel=1</a>

« Reply #5844 on: 05 November, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYDiPizDIs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cAYDiPizDIs&rel=1</a>
It's always easy to mock.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5845 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:49:40 pm »
The MTB: Giant ATX 840

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

LEE

« Reply #5846 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:26:17 am »
My son lives in Tooting and needs something to lock outside to a lamp-post (for his Tooting-Clapham commute).

Therefore nice shiny bikes are out. 

I got this rust-bucket off Ebay locally for £7

Rear mech is gone and wheels are shot but I can transplant any parts from my son's old Halfords MTB (he's had it since he was 13 so it's too small but parts are all OK).

Suggestions?  Single speed?  (use old mech as a tensioner).  It's a pan-flat area he lives in so MTB gearing is redundant.

Frame is Reynolds K2 (fairly basic stuff I think but it's pretty light).  I'm thinking it would be extremely light if I stripped it back to a Single-speed and gave it a coat of Hammerite.  Shame it's got vertical dropouts.

It has Deore thumb-shifters which seem really nice

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5847 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:31:57 am »
Singlespeed is fine for Tooting (we used to live near Broadway).

The thumbies might be worth something on ebay.  I recall being disturbed by the prices when we wanted one for a tandem drag brake.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #5848 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:45:13 am »
Singlespeed is fine for Tooting (we used to live near Broadway).

The thumbies might be worth something on ebay.  I recall being disturbed by the prices when we wanted one for a tandem drag brake.

Agree with the Thumbies.  I may put them in my "projects box".  I'd been thinking of making a real utility bike one day.  7 speed, single chainwheel, thumb-shifters..etc. nice and bomb-proof.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5849 on: 07 November, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »

Chains a bit slack  ;)

Someone had to say it.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.