Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2463656 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8150 on: 09 May, 2016, 01:23:43 pm »
My collection
Raleigh Twenty by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
Pride & joy by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
531c JF Wilson by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
New wheels! by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
Carlton Continental 1974 by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
Lovely collection, Polco!  Rare to see a JF Wilson, something I desired. And you are a fellow Carlton owner! :)
Getting there...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #8151 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:08:43 pm »
Hi Polco, nice bikes ... what are the guards on the Carlton?

My collection
[/url]Carlton Continental 1974 by Paul WILSON, on Flickr

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8152 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »

'Olive ',  out on a jolly in the sun

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8153 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »
^^^ Very nice looking 'Olive'

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #8154 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:00:51 pm »
That's a nice looking rig Blodwyn :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8155 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:45:40 pm »

Lovely. What 'guards are they BP? The white ones on my bike are fatter than I need, and those look to be (potentially) a better fit.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8156 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »

My Tern Link Uno, with bullhorn bar; so I can approach the same position as on my 'normal' bikes rather well.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8157 on: 12 May, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »

My Tern Link Uno, with bullhorn bar; so I can approach the same position as on my 'normal' bikes rather well.

nice one, i'm in the process of modifying the same bike for the very same reason. also want to get it's weight down to under 9kg.

« Reply #8158 on: 12 May, 2016, 06:26:29 pm »
Adding a Brooks Flyer did not help the weight.. . But it adds a lot to the comfort for me. Also, that particular saddle never fit me totally right on any other bike, but on this one it suddenly does.

Should you still need to get an Andros stem, go for the second generation ones, as the first generation ones creak because of the safety slide-button thingy.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8159 on: 12 May, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »
Adding a Brooks Flyer did not help the weight.. . But it adds a lot to the comfort for me. Also, that particular saddle never fit me totally right on any other bike, but on this one it suddenly does.

Should you still need to get an Andros stem, go for the second generation ones, as the first generation ones creak because of the safety slide-button thingy.

thank you for the tips, i will be using a different handlepost/stem arrangement - still to find whether it's going to work. in it's current fugly state (actually, already dismantled into components):

« Reply #8160 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »
How do you find the mudguards work in folded mode? I've hesitated putting them on my Mu Uno because I love the lack of fussy bits (gears, cables) - the front brake cable annoys me (insufficiently to remove, having been caught needing to brake with feet in the wrong position). As it is my go-to jump-on bike, the lack is a shortcoming.

(Mine has a B17 ;) )

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8161 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:05:36 pm »
not sure how the mudguards work in folded mode, i don't ride through puddles when folded ;). apart from keeping the bike cleaner they protect  the seatpost from spray/muck which can very quickly scratch and jam it when lowering/folding.
i plan to use quick-removable ones in the future.

« Reply #8162 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:32:56 pm »
Doesn't time fly? I've had mine over six years! No wonder things are a little worn in places.  You're right about the dirt on the seatpost, I've just got in the habit of giving it a good wipe. Just looks to me as if the guards would get in the way, eg taking it on the tube, it's not the smallest fold out.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8163 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:03:22 pm »
yes, mudguards add about an inch to overall length, which is hardly noticeable. new drop handlebars will stick out much more!

« Reply #8164 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:48:54 am »
Hi Polco, nice bikes ... what are the guards on the Carlton?

I got the 'guards from Halfords, a cheapo set that were a faff to set up, but are ok once set up properly.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/halfords-essentials-road-mudguard

« Reply #8165 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:53:53 am »
Carlton Continental 1974 by Paul WILSON, on Flickr
Lovely collection, Polco!  Rare to see a JF Wilson, something I desired. And you are a fellow Carlton owner! :)

Thank you, I actually rescued the Carlton from being dumped, it's now used almost daily as my commuting bike.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8166 on: 14 May, 2016, 03:23:49 pm »

Lovely. What 'guards are they BP? The white ones on my bike are fatter than I need, and those look to be (potentially) a better fit.

They are SKS p45 Longboards in latte / beige. I do believe that I have just bought the last pair on the planet, as a spare set, as they are no longer available. soon to be R A R E !!!!! ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8167 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:54:28 pm »
My collection
Raleigh Twenty by Paul WILSON, on Flickr

I'd love to know what Polar Bear makes of this!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8168 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:55:08 pm »
Oh dear, what have I let myself in for? Bought a bare frame, proceeded to build shiny wheels and chuck as much silver bits on it as possible

Very tasty!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8169 on: 18 May, 2016, 08:20:08 am »

They are SKS p45 Longboards in latte / beige. I do believe that I have just bought the last pair on the planet, as a spare set, as they are no longer available. soon to be R A R E !!!!! ;)

spare pair arrived yesterday, :P

« Reply #8170 on: 18 May, 2016, 09:58:48 am »
As ever a diverse selection of lovely machines, but Slope's in particular made me go "ohhhh, that's lovely"...  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8171 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »
As ever a diverse selection of lovely machines, but Slope's in particular made me go "ohhhh, that's lovely"...  ;D

Agreed.  Slope's Moulton is stunning.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8172 on: 21 May, 2016, 02:42:42 pm »
First new bike in years.  :D

Not used it in anger yet. Setting up the tubeless was more of a PITA than I thought it would be. Still not entirely confident it's properly sealed at the valves.

Going to have a go at making a frame bag, seat pack and handlebar harness soon with a view to spending days in the wilderness.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #8173 on: 21 May, 2016, 09:12:08 pm »

Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous.  And very nicely photographed too.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8174 on: 21 May, 2016, 09:36:26 pm »

Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous.  And very nicely photographed too.

Thank yous :)

Now with North Road bars :thumbsup:

And a Velo Orange 'knurled' headset cap to replace the black standard offering that came with the Moulton frameset + a Lion bell. Alas the ugly spacers and stem are a source of great annoyance. Visuals and elegance are not threadless stem advantages. A saw, a die and a conversion to quill stem will happen at some point :)