Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2464677 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3550 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:38:25 am »
Long time lurker! :P

Here's two from my current fleet.

Surly Long Haul Trucker before and during recent tour of Spain/France:

Scott CR1:

One day I'll get around to chopping those steerers!

« Reply #3551 on: 22 August, 2010, 07:53:53 am »
Nice looking bikes, but those look like huge waterbottles!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3552 on: 22 August, 2010, 09:44:57 am »
They're 800ml I believe, so a smidge bigger than your average big bottle...perfect for touring! :thumbsup:

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3553 on: 22 August, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »
My Brommie

That's a very nice Brompton.

Which saddlebag do you have attached?  Does it fit under the Brompton cover?

Excellent photography, too, btw!

LEE

« Reply #3554 on: 23 August, 2010, 02:08:34 pm »
They're 800ml I believe, so a smidge bigger than your average big bottle...perfect for touring! :thumbsup:

Some fuel-bottle:Mudguard overlap issues?

LEE

« Reply #3555 on: 23 August, 2010, 02:08:59 pm »

My new wheels Pinarello FP3 :thumbsup:

Front forks look a bit slack

« Reply #3556 on: 23 August, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »
Moose,
Can you feel any benefit or difference from the unique design of front forks and rear stays?

It looks really smart too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3557 on: 23 August, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »
My Brommie

That's a very nice Brompton.

Which saddlebag do you have attached?  Does it fit under the Brompton cover?

Excellent photography, too, btw!

Its a Carradice zipped roll

Carradice of Nelson - Zipped Roll

Which is perfectly proportioned for the job. I dont use the Brompton cover, but this fits nicely on the seat and is strapped to the seatpost, and doesnt really affect the post when its down, maybe adds half an inch or an inch.

The Brommie is an M3, with a brooks B17 and some different bars and lots of little improvements ( bigger rear sprocket, bottle mount, bag mount, grips,EAzy wheels, SPDs reflective skull sticker ;D) , which make a huge difference, out of the saddle it feels like a BMX bike :thumbsup:

Its off to Holland with me next week so watch out for more pictures :thumbsup:

« Reply #3558 on: 23 August, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »

Some fuel-bottle:Mudguard overlap issues?
Yes :-[
Well, no actual overlap as currently setup, but it requires the guards to be alot closer to the tyre than I'd like and even then lid of the bottle has to be at the right angle. Not ideal! But I like having the smelly fuel bottle out of my panniers...

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3559 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:40:01 pm »
Moose,
Can you feel any benefit or difference from the unique design of front forks and rear stays?

It looks really smart too.  :thumbsup:

Not yet but I will think of one.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3560 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »

My new wheels Pinarello FP3 :thumbsup:

Front forks look a bit slack

Quite a few spokes missing too.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3561 on: 23 August, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »
I brought this home yesterday. Apparently the first Tempo in the 2010 livery to leave the shop, and I'm very very happy with the way it looks, particularly the tape and saddle which are almost an exact match for the Condor script. I was originally down for the 2009 bike in blue, but got their last frame which was terribly chipped. I'm so glad I opted to wait for a new frame.

Now I just need to find the balls (and practice time) to flip the wheel over to fixed.

It's that........

Condor moment.

H

« Reply #3562 on: 24 August, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »
From the sublime to the...

I think my cheapest bike ever - certainly in the last 10 years - and you know what...they're really all the SAME! I turn the pedals and it moves. Next to no difference in average speed. No noticeable difference in comfort. Lighter than many. Cost approx one-thirtieth of some I've owned - and only difference is to my vanity!

Very pleasant 30 miles S of Trent - even some hills! - on Sunday.

Expensive bikes are I am sure worthwhile for the fit and fast and far... sure ain't for ME. Oh the money I've wasted.

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3563 on: 24 August, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »
From the sublime to the...

I think my cheapest bike ever - certainly in the last 10 years - and you know what...they're really all the SAME! I turn the pedals and it moves. Next to no difference in average speed. No noticeable difference in comfort. Lighter than many. Cost approx one-thirtieth of some I've owned - and only difference is to my vanity!

Very pleasant 30 miles S of Trent - even some hills! - on Sunday.

Expensive bikes are I am sure worthwhile for the fit and fast and far... sure ain't for ME. Oh the money I've wasted.

Oddly enough I was thinking the exact same thing on Sunday, as I dragged my ass, and my daughter, around a 24mile route.  I was on the cheapest bike in my stable, which cost less than the trailerbike she was on (and even the trailerbike was secondhand, so not full price!), yet I still managed a reasonable time (considering the extra load I was moving) and still had loads of fun, in fact possibly more fun than I have ever had on my Ridley, which cost <works out the maths in his head> >20 times what the Scott did!!!!!

As BPOAB used as his mag's tagline, it doesn't matter what ride, as long as you ride (to which I would add "and enjoy it")
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3564 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:14:40 pm »

Whilst MrsMekon took the kids back to her parents' place, I got this off of some friends of Spacebadger's. It had only been used a few times, and other than a few storage scratches, it's as new. I just fitted some race blades, but there's toe overlap issues if I use the new sticky-out SKS flaps on the front. With the flap removed, they are great. She's really chuffed, as is already hatching plans to do a 100 with me towing the kids in the trailer  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3565 on: 25 August, 2010, 10:18:43 am »
Oddly enough I was thinking the exact same thing on Sunday, as I dragged my ass, ... around a 24mile route. 
You have a donkey?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3566 on: 25 August, 2010, 02:45:29 pm »
Oddly enough I was thinking the exact same thing on Sunday, as I dragged my ass, ... around a 24mile route. 
You have a donkey?

Is he Tim Moore?
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #3567 on: 30 August, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »
If it rains tomorrow it is my fault.   ;D ;D

« Reply #3568 on: 30 August, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »

Whilst MrsMekon took the kids back to her parents' place, I got this off of some friends of Spacebadger's. It had only been used a few times, and other than a few storage scratches, it's as new. I just fitted some race blades, but there's toe overlap issues if I use the new sticky-out SKS flaps on the front. With the flap removed, they are great. She's really chuffed, as is already hatching plans to do a 100 with me towing the kids in the trailer  :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, that's the first I've seen of the bike. I'm glad Mrs. M. is pleased with it.

Clandy

« Reply #3569 on: 31 August, 2010, 07:47:11 am »
If it rains tomorrow it is my fault.   ;D ;D

Happens to me too. I swear sometimes I could take my car to drought zones and earn a fortune.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3570 on: 31 August, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »

Not as posh as Aiden's, but my Brompton S6L at the top of a hill.  The S-bag proved an effective air brake on the descent...   ::-)  I could probably have got an extra couple of mph by putting the raincover over it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3571 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:16:42 pm »
The S-bag proved an effective air brake on the descent...

It's an even more effective air brake if you forget to buckle the top down so it flaps up during your descent...

Go on, ask me how I know.  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3572 on: 01 September, 2010, 02:50:44 am »

I don't *think* I've posted this one yet. I'd been looking for a steel hybrid to convert to a trail/off-road drop-bar bike for a while, but none of the ones I found had enough tire clearance.

This bike only cost me $40, and I moved a bunch of parts over from the old Schwinn that had trouble fitting 700x38s. This one had lots of room for 700x38s, so of course I couldn't bear it, and had to try 700x45s.  ::-)   But they fit!

scottclark.photoshelter.com

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3573 on: 01 September, 2010, 10:59:19 am »
I'd been looking for a steel hybrid to convert to a trail/off-road drop-bar bike for a while
This bike only cost me $40

Nice work! Looks like a fun ride (though personally I'd like the bars a touch lower). How come it was so cheap? Surely the tyres alone cost more than that?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3574 on: 01 September, 2010, 12:54:06 pm »
I should have been more clear (which may become my new sig line)--the original bike cost $40, before I added the other stuff on...
scottclark.photoshelter.com