Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2465243 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3675 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:44:36 am »
Thanks for the pics torslanda,

That was my next thought - you'd probably need a smaller than normal frame/stem to compensate for a top tube that was intended for flat bars. Careful measuring and planning to get the right frame is probably the name of the game here?

If you live anywhere near Manchester and are so inclined you are welcome to come over and have a go. I've got some different forks for it which may quicken the steering a tad. Generally a shorter stem means its easy to ride 'on the hoods' without feeling too stretched.

The DynaTech has neutral steering. It isn't twitchy but its not the Torrey Canyon either. Just feels like a bike to me . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3676 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:44:48 pm »
Mine yesterday at a well known Somerset landmark, passed 2200 miles for this year at the same time,  I know a lot of you do many more miles but that is a lot for me in only my 4th year of getting really back into cycling.

I hope you pushed your bike up the Tor!

... as done on the last couple of Solstice WARTYs, although we didn't get all the way up, and this year I managed to avoid loosing my brake blocks. :-[ ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3677 on: 23 September, 2010, 04:42:14 pm »
Continuing the theme, I've just packed for a few days in the Lakes:
Just waiting for the rain to stop and the roads to dry now.  Maybe I'll have another cuppa.

Love it. What's the bike?

Judging by the colour and the wishbone rear stay, I'd say orange P7 same as mine but with rigid forks.

Close enough.  An Orange Oakley Clockwork, repurposed.  It does draw admiring glances wherever it goes.  Well, I choose to interpret the astonished double-takes as "admiring" ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3678 on: 23 September, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »
What are the electrical gubbins on the fork for? 

« Reply #3679 on: 23 September, 2010, 05:39:26 pm »
What are the electrical gubbins on the fork for? 

An early prototype of the motor-assist that Cancellara rejected?  ;D

chrisbpr

« Reply #3680 on: 24 September, 2010, 01:48:26 am »
[img height=480 width=640]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/UZU8XM3VEKKgpXCk9zrvuQ?feat=directlink[/img]

My Specialized Hardrock...good all rounder which i am doing the oxford to cambridge BHF ride next weekend...gulp !!!!!

chrisbpr

« Reply #3681 on: 24 September, 2010, 01:50:53 am »
[img height=480 width=640]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/UZU8XM3VEKKgpXCk9zrvuQ?feat=directlink[/img]

My Specialized Hardrock...good all rounder which i am doing the oxford to cambridge BHF ride next weekend...gulp !!!!!

Sorry all..having a mare getting the pic up on here...how the hell do i do it ??????

« Reply #3682 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:16:05 am »
Upload it to somewhere free (like photobucket) then copy the link under the picture there with its IMG in brackets tag at each end onto here.

« Reply #3683 on: 24 September, 2010, 03:17:12 am »
If I right click on your pic and 'open in new tab' I can actually see your bike :)

mr_brooks

« Reply #3684 on: 24 September, 2010, 07:30:01 am »
Something a bit different for this forum :) :

Frame was a "bargain" on eBay so I transferred all the bits from my geared hardtail, along with some blingy Hope stuff.  It's an East (Lancs.) meets West (Yorks.) bike!

Liking the shiny Hope goodness on this, very much  :)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3685 on: 24 September, 2010, 08:25:10 am »

Sorry all..having a mare getting the pic up on here...how the hell do i do it ??????

Here you go:
Pen Pusher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3686 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:02:43 am »
Now that's the proper use for a helmet: providing a bum-rest.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3687 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:10:21 am »
chrisbpr, in my humble opinion, for what it's worth, the hardtail MTB is the ultimate all-rounder bike.  I have one and if I could only have one bike  :o that's the one I'd keep. 

Those Topeak seat post racks and slide on Topeak bags are good aren't they?  I have used exactly the same set up to good effect.

« Reply #3688 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »
Just put together my new bike.

2010 S-Works Roubaix frame, full SRAM red groupset, ultegra/open pro wheels, and, of course, a Brooks Swift saddle (partly because the weight of it will stop the bike blowing away!).

Lots of tweaking is still needed to get everything in the right place, hopefully the weather will be good enough tomorrow for a proper ride.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3689 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:42:02 pm »
^^ :P slopy coolness ^^

« Reply #3690 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »
Lots of tweaking is still needed to get everything in the right place, hopefully the weather will be good enough tomorrow for a proper ride.

Saddle setback, and bar height for a start  ;)

« Reply #3691 on: 24 September, 2010, 07:04:32 pm »

Saddle setback, and bar height for a start  ;)

Cable outer lengths too :)

Very nice, though.  It does need an SLR XP saddle, having said that...  

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3692 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:30:49 pm »

I'm sorry to say it, and this is only my personal aesthetic sensibility, but on a scale of zero to wrong, that's way up at the wrong end.

Chris S

« Reply #3693 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:32:15 pm »
I'm sorry to say it, and this is only my personal aesthetic sensibility, but on a scale of zero to wrong, that's way up at the wrong end.

Why? I thought it was rather fetching...

border-rider

« Reply #3694 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:33:49 pm »
I like it,  but it needs much sexier wheels.  And Flatus is dead right about the seat and bar positions.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3695 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:22:56 pm »
Black tyres now.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3697 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »
I was in the coffee shop 6 feet away.

;D

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3698 on: 24 September, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »
I like it,  but it needs much sexier wheels.  And Flatus is dead right about the seat and bar positions.

I agree on the saddle, but the bars look OK to me :).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3699 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:02:42 pm »
Knew I should have finished fettling first, but I did say that things were in the wrong place :) After spending ages carefully setting up the drivetrain (never had built up an SRAM roadbike before) I rushed the ancillaries to get the light to send off a pic to a mate who'd helped picking up a few parts.

Yes, the saddle was a good inch and a half too low, and too far forwards. The bar height roughly matches my Audax bike as a starting point. It's easier to move the bars down later or chop off a bit more steerer than to move them up! The bars were angled a bit far skywards.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the white bar tape. The (heavily discounted) groupset came with white hoods, so after initially thinking I'd just get black replacements (about a tenner for the genuine ones) I thought I'd try white bar tape too, to match the white decals and seat post. It looks better in real life than in the photo, but I may well move to black when they get too grubby as I'm not convinced it's right.

As for the wheels, I did spend some time thinking about them - but "sexier" looking wheels wouldn't be as comfortable or as robust. I'm intending doing some serious miles on this bike and I'm not of racing snake build so I'd be constantly worried going for anything with fewer spokes or lighter weight. That's also one of the reasons why I didn't go for an off-the-shelf Roubaix - I'd have wanted to immediately replace the wheels and saddle, which pushed the cost to close to this build.