Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930618 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21500 on: 30 March, 2019, 03:38:20 pm »
Never mind hands, what about pockets? Where do people keep their humoungous phones?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21501 on: 30 March, 2019, 04:38:47 pm »
Never mind hands, what about pockets? Where do people keep their humoungous phones?

In their hands.

« Reply #21502 on: 30 March, 2019, 05:12:15 pm »
Keep mine in shirt pocket, but wondering about this since reading that id tags on lanyards cause some serious injuries when an airbag in a car is triggered. At least the phone is to one side rather than in the centre.

« Reply #21503 on: 30 March, 2019, 06:36:01 pm »

In their handbag of course. After all, doesn't everyone carry a handbag....?  ;D

(At least men's clothes have pockets in whereas ladies clothes generally don't).

GC

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21504 on: 30 March, 2019, 09:01:45 pm »
Mine fits in my jeans or trouser pocket. But them big trousers have large pockets.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21505 on: 30 March, 2019, 11:04:56 pm »
Phones.
Still getting bigger.
The message about the world being built to suit men (on average) isn't fetting through yet.
My Moto G3 is big enough already. Prospective replacement (because it's about to die) is another 1.7cm longer.
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ohgod, yes.  I've just grudgingly retired my Moto G 2nd gen for a Moto G7.  Which is - the usual Motorola problem of repeatedly re-associating with WiFi networks notwithstanding - a lovely piece of kit that's several centimetres too big.  It only just fits the side pocket[1] of an Arkel Tailrider, FFS.

I was going to buy a G7 because I really liked my G3, but I didn't like the G7 bigness. However, I found that the Nokia 7.1 was a similarly vanilla version of Android but somewhat shorter than the G7, so after a quick fondle in John Lewis I bought one today.
Major gripe so far is that it's completely flat (unlike the G3) and slippery, dropped it twice already! Case on order...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21506 on: 31 March, 2019, 11:25:18 am »

In their hands.

Cargo shorts or walking trousers.

Its not the phone so much as blood glucose testing kit, just-in-case snack bars and haribos...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21507 on: 31 March, 2019, 12:53:16 pm »

I was going to buy a G7 because I really liked my G3, but I didn't like the G7 bigness. However, I found that the Nokia 7.1 was a similarly vanilla version of Android but somewhat shorter than the G7, so after a quick fondle in John Lewis I bought one today.
Major gripe so far is that it's completely flat (unlike the G3) and slippery, dropped it twice already! Case on order...

I wish they'd all have lanyard attachment points!  Mrs W's Samsung hasn't, and she keeps dropping it.  My Sony Xperia Z5 has, as did its predecessors, and its useful, because I often need to be able to take a pic and let go of the phone so I can safely get off the hazardous place I'm on (usually either in a part of a building that's a bit tricky, or on top of a railway engine). I do like a big phone, partly 'cos I've got rubbish eyesight, and partly because I'm using it instead of a laptop/tablet most of the time, not as a phone.  Surely there are smaller phones available, or is it a case of smaller = crappier, a view also erroneously held by car manufacturers?  You mentioning the Nokia highlighted the fact that I hadn't realised they made proper Android phones at the moment, I like the look of the 8.1 myself.  Camera looks a bit crap compared to my Sony, but then I have a 42MP full frame camera if I want ultimate quality.
Wombat

« Reply #21508 on: 31 March, 2019, 02:26:23 pm »
I attach a lanyard to the after-market case of my Moto G5, phone in shirt pocket, lanyard clipped to shirt. Saved many drops and potential disasters!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21509 on: 31 March, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »
There are smaller ones available but in the region of 600 squids Samsung can just GTF. I fell out with Sony and their locking everything down ways several years ago...

rr

« Reply #21511 on: 31 March, 2019, 08:37:20 pm »
You can shrink the keyboard into one corner to use it with one small hand.
I have the other problem: I type with 2 thumbs and struggle with my work iPhone because it is just too small.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21512 on: 01 April, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »
There are smaller ones available but in the region of 600 squids Samsung can just GTF. I fell out with Sony and their locking everything down ways several years ago...
I think that Sony are not as bad at locking things down as they seemingly used to be, and Samsung may have got worse.  I find Mrs W's Samsung Galaxy mini 4 intensely annoying in its not quite standard Android-ness. This is why I liked my Nexus 7 tablet before it ground to a halt.  It seems any Sony oddness is purely down to additional apps, rather than messing with the interface.  I do need to determine if the Nokia and other pure Android beasts will be as willing to talk to my Sony TV, and my camera, as that is a significant need.  Actually I can test that with the Samsung, as if that'll do it I'm sure a pure unsullied Android thing will.  I have tested the Samsung with one of the cameras, but it interrupted wifi communication to tell me we had a a phone call, the useless stupid thing.  This ruined filming an event (I was using the other camera in my hand to take stills at the time, and remotely driving the one doing video, and my phone was remotely driving the GoPro).

The guy in the Vodafone shop cheerfully informed me that the Huawei Mate 30 Pro was excellent, at about £1000.  Yes, I'm sure it is, but no way...
Wombat

« Reply #21513 on: 02 April, 2019, 08:55:58 am »
I'd like to reserve a special place in hell for the people who, in an open plan office, leave their computer speakers turned on.

'Bong!'
'Jingle Gong Bong!'

Every. Fucking. 30 Seconds.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21514 on: 02 April, 2019, 01:16:44 pm »
I'd like to reserve a special place in hell for the people who, in an open plan office, leave their computer speakers turned on.

Ugh.  I'd ask why the computers have speakers in the first place, but I'm betting it's because all-computers-are-laptops-now.  Might as well ask why offices are open-plan.

On a related note, remember the 80s, when 5 minutes around the hour in any large gathering would be punctuated by the intermittent bip-bips of unsynchronised digital watches.  I was trying to remember if that phenomenon died out before mainstream watch-wearing did.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21515 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:57:16 pm »

'Bong!'
'Jingle Gong Bong!'

Every. Fucking. 30 Seconds.

That. There is one particular person in our office who appears to have no idea how irritated everyone else gets with his continual notifications from Teams (which to be fair does require a fair bit of wrangling to get it to stop notifying about everything and it's dog).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21516 on: 02 April, 2019, 09:02:07 pm »
Have Windoze sounds been designed to be especially annoying?
They've succeeded anyway!

(I don't really know now as David's an Apple fanboy and all the computers here are Fruity. My computer is on silent, anyway.)

An open-plan office with multiple random Windoze sounds must be Hell on Earth!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21517 on: 02 April, 2019, 10:05:18 pm »
Have Windoze sounds been designed to be especially annoying?

It's they way that Microsoft named their search engine after the annoying Windows error dialog noise.

Bing!  Bing!  BingBingBingBingBing!   :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21518 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:58:48 am »
Ugh.  I'd ask why the computers have speakers in the first place, but I'm betting it's because all-computers-are-laptops-now.

Or iMacs, in the case of where I work.

I normally have the volume turned off on mine, but occasionally I have to turn it up for some purpose and then forget to turn it down again, to be reminded when emails come in.

This discussion has just inspired me to dig into the settings to see if I can turn off these obnoxious sounds independently of the volume setting. So I've gone into System Preferences, selected the Sound tab then unchecked the "Play user interface sound effects" option. I think that should do the trick but we'll see... doesn't seem very intuitive.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21519 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:04:26 am »
There may be a setting in the email program to silence alerts as well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

essexian

« Reply #21520 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:18:06 am »
Don't talk to me about unwanted sounds......  :demon:

A couple of weeks ago, I used my new cars sat nav for the first time as I was going to somewhere I hadn't been before. Now, every time I turn the radio, I get traffic updates whether I want them or not.

I have tried several hundred times to turn them off (as has CBH after reading the manual!!!!!) without success. It seems once they are on, they are on! Why the hell do I want to know what's happening in Stoke when I am heading the other way???!!!!

It is really, really, really irritating. Almost as irritating as the new car not having a built in CD player!!!!

citoyen

« Reply #21521 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
There may be a setting in the email program to silence alerts as well.

:thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #21522 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:56:10 am »
I have tried several hundred times to turn them off (as has CBH after reading the manual!!!!!) without success. It seems once they are on, they are on! Why the hell do I want to know what's happening in Stoke when I am heading the other way???!!!!

Is there a button labelled TP or TA on the radio control panel? If TP/TA is displayed anywhere on the screen, it means you will get travel alerts, but in my experience of car radios, pressing the TP/TA button usually toggles them on/off.

Alternatively, forget FM and only ever listen to AM or DAB, which don't have this feature.

essexian

« Reply #21523 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:06:20 pm »
Thanks, I have tried that but it didn't work. And sadly, I still get traffic reports on DAB radio.

:(

citoyen

« Reply #21524 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »
I still get traffic reports on DAB radio.

:(

Chiz! I don't on mine, and I thought it was a feature that had mercifully not made the transition from FM to DAB.