Author Topic: Nice route out to Essex from London?  (Read 2335 times)

Nice route out to Essex from London?
« on: 21 January, 2023, 10:38:30 pm »
Can anyone recommend a nice route out to Chelmsford way from East (well SE) London? Am plotting a route atm but would like to avoid Stratford and Ilford if possible, as I imagine this will be pretty busy and horrid even early in the morning. I don't know the area further south (e.g. Barking to Dagenham), Epping doesn't really appeal either... suggestions? I would prefer something relatively direct though opposed to dicking around too much on cycle highways and so forth.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Nice route out to Essex from London?
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:40:39 pm »
I would suggest looking for the BHF London to Southend route. I know it goes through Chigwell Row and Mountnessing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:43:26 pm »
I would suggest looking for the BHF London to Southend route. I know it goes through Chigwell Row and Mountnessing.

Thank you sir.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:52:29 pm »
Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=https://peter.chesspod.com/routes/londsout.gpx

I've no idea why I've plotted a route starting at Euston, and I have no recollection of riding it - most London to Southend rides start somewhere near Victoria Park. But that looks reasonable. Turn left at Ingatestone.

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:08:20 pm »
That does looks reasonable. Thank you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:09:03 pm »
A pleasure! When are you thinking of riding it?

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:29:35 pm »
A pleasure! When are you thinking of riding it?

Early hours Saturday morning as an ECE to the ACME Kelvedon Oyster calendar event, *if* I a) get enough sleep beforehand and b) actually get up.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2023, 12:02:12 am »
I have ECE'ed a few ACME winter rides in the past and had a route out via Barking, skirting Romford, Brentwood, Ingatestone, east of Chelmsford via Great Baddow (Greggs for a quick snack!) to Boreham and then up the parallel road to the A12/A12 cycle paths as appropriate. Not very scenic but fairly direct and traffic at the time wasn't too bad.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2023, 10:01:15 am »
One option

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58788202

Stratford is fine, there's bike paths that are good. And also bike path / wide pavement up the side of the A12 after Isle of Dogs
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2023, 10:04:01 am »
Thanks all for replies, plenty of options to consider now. I may ECE back instead of out ... hmmmmm.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2023, 12:23:45 pm »
Let me know if you would likea track of the non-scenic but direct route!
For a Kelvedon event we got up to the 100km by doing a leg afterwards out to Great Notley (chocolate bar at the Coop!) and then back to Witham station for a train home to London
After Witham events we had a really nice route across to Harlow for the train.

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:02:31 pm »
Let me know if you would likea track of the non-scenic but direct route!
For a Kelvedon event we got up to the 100km by doing a leg afterwards out to Great Notley (chocolate bar at the Coop!) and then back to Witham station for a train home to London
After Witham events we had a really nice route across to Harlow for the train.
A track would be great! I've pm'd you.

« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2023, 10:13:21 pm »

« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2023, 10:30:54 pm »
The bad news is, there really is no nice escape route. You don't say what time your "early" Saturday morning is, as long as it is after 5 you're fine. (before that you are dicing with party people both in their own cars and uber drivers taking them home) The areas you are riding through don't really wake up before 10 or later.

Frankly, I'd just go down the Whitechapel road and straight through Stratford and the Romford Road. The Barking road (your choice is substantially more crappy. Stratford itself is great, you ride straight through, the old one way system racetrack has been done away with. The cycle superhighway route will be fast and clear eastbound on a Saturday morning, your on road after Stratford (albeit with a bit of white paint).

(ETA full declaration: I have ridden that and variants of the route  on commute for 30-odd years so I may have a skewed view. I might also know what I am talking about ;) )

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2023, 12:03:13 am »
100m less climbing, pretty much on 100km. Nisa at Kelvedon Hatch 47km for a snack if needed (opens at 06:30) https://goo.gl/maps/yvPRs6bfPVK1Uf5f9

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1017593050?share_token=agPVBMIDiMeNhYwEhQMKeItfEGho5Db7Y9vsd3AhzoevYAh6uL&ref=

Regards,

Joergen

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2023, 07:49:26 am »
The bad news is, there really is no nice escape route. You don't say what time your "early" Saturday morning is, as long as it is after 5 you're fine. (before that you are dicing with party people both in their own cars and uber drivers taking them home) The areas you are riding through don't really wake up before 10 or later.

Frankly, I'd just go down the Whitechapel road and straight through Stratford and the Romford Road. The Barking road (your choice is substantially more crappy. Stratford itself is great, you ride straight through, the old one way system racetrack has been done away with. The cycle superhighway route will be fast and clear eastbound on a Saturday morning, your on road after Stratford (albeit with a bit of white paint).

(ETA full declaration: I have ridden that and variants of the route  on commute for 30-odd years so I may have a skewed view. I might also know what I am talking about ;) )

Having been a rider in this area many moons ago I'd second Ham's suggestion for speed and efficiency - meandering around in the lanes would be nice but time consuming . . . unless you want to enjoy the scenery.

« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2023, 10:21:17 am »
More as a resource than direct comment, here's my view of the escape routes from east London out of the M25

Epping Road - Long been the mainstay of East London escape, still one of the most practical. Traffic has theoretically been slowed down (as if!) but you are on a two lane road with a paint cycle lane that corrals you into a really shitty road surface on the edges. I'm not sure that the route south is worse than the route north, it always feels that way but (a) you are downhill and so faster and (b) at the end of a ride mostly. On the positive side, cyclists are a fixture of the road these days so the worst driver behaviour (and it was really shit at one time) is now better

All the routes around the Epping road have surprising hills, and typically shit traffic.

Moving around, this route and this route feed you in to Toot Hill, which is good, but (a) getting there tends to involve Abridge Road, which is not cycle friendly and in school run and motorway blockage time can get positively unpleasant

This is my favourite exit point, riding out through Lambourne End. Generally more pleasant than the other alternatives. From here you can go left to Toot Hill or carry on. At this point you are not in the direct line of fire of any large town.

The next two crossing points are similar but have little advantage, slower to get to and don't open out  other routes. As ever, narrow lanes with the probability of coming across Range Rovers on their way to the golf club etc.

Noak Hill is the next, not that drastic a hill from most approaches but by this time Brentwood traffic is a factor, my preferred route for Brentwood, but it isn't quiet, it isn't nice.

Moving further round, there is less and less reason to be going there, as it doesn't lead to anywhere ;) (although bimbling around some of that countryside isn't too shabby)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:05:28 am »
Given the OP is looking to ECE a Saturday Audax and do 100km before that, then subject to when they wish to get to the start, it's likely that there will be less motor interaction at the given time they are going through the misserable outer 'burbs. 

When I was banging out 100km ECE before our Winter series rides I usualy left the house just before 05:00 so I expect probably at/past M25 by 06:30-07:00 depending on traffic lights  :facepalm:  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2023, 11:25:15 am »
Indeed..I shared the route we used for ECEing Witham and kelvedon events, it was tolerable at the times we did it (setting off around 06.00) and pretty direct. Also some mornings were cold and it was likely to give gritted roads.

« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2023, 05:34:32 pm »
100m less climbing, pretty much on 100km. Nisa at Kelvedon Hatch 47km for a snack if needed (opens at 06:30) https://goo.gl/maps/yvPRs6bfPVK1Uf5f9

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1017593050?share_token=agPVBMIDiMeNhYwEhQMKeItfEGho5Db7Y9vsd3AhzoevYAh6uL&ref=
Brilliant, thanks for this. Plan is to leave at 5:00 AM; hopefully will miss the worst of the burbs traffic. The route I had before diddled around in the lanes a bit to avoid that A road, but your version is much better.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2023, 07:52:17 pm »
Great hopefully see you at either the arrivee of one of the controls
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2023, 09:48:04 pm »
Great hopefully see you at either the arrivee of one of the controls
Hopefully! I'll be on a Spa Elan with silver mudguards and resplendent in Black/Yellow Galibier.  :thumbsup: