Author Topic: Dieppe to Dijon - Route help  (Read 969 times)

Dieppe to Dijon - Route help
« on: 30 January, 2023, 11:42:30 am »
Good morning all,

I am joining a cycling tour that starts in Dijon and have been perusing the option to ride to the start from London. I am keen to not have to do more than 2.5 full days riding so considered starting from Dieppe rather than Calais. The drawback of this is that the route either goes straight through Paris, or have to skirt around. Does anyone have experience how it was riding through Paris in terms of pace etc or route advice to skip, or pass through the city? Any other advice on the routing beyond Paris to Dijon?

Re: Dieppe to Dijon - Route help
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2023, 12:17:31 pm »
I've found Paris alright, if even more chaotic now with all the scooters zipping about.

You could look at the Canal de Bourgogne, it goes all the way into Dijon.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:15:36 pm »
I've ridden through the centre of Paris a couple of times (N-S & E-W) and, like Deano, found it OK. Prior research with Google StreetView helps enormously in finding bike & bus lanes etc. Like any city centre, expect plenty of stop & start (traffic signals etc) - but who wouldn't want frequent stops to look around, in Paris?

Otherwise, here are the first two days of my 2017 ride from Dieppe to the Med, which skirt round to the NE of Paris before turning S at Coulommiers. Pleasant roads & I don't recall any dodgy bits.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1036427397
https://www.strava.com/activities/1038040854
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2023, 09:28:52 am »
Thanks Both and thanks for the GPX files. All really helpful. Will come back on final route and outcome once taken.

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2023, 08:50:39 pm »
From central Paris you can ride out along the south / west bank of the Seine.  It's pretty quick. 

When I did it in 2014 the area was home to lots of people living in makeshift tents and shelters.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2023, 12:49:21 pm »
A few years back myself and some friends did London/ Paris (from Calais).  What we found was the route into Paris, whilst busy, was fine and drivers still pretty courteous but there are a huge amount traffic lights and it took so long to get the Arc de Triomphe, our final destination.

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2023, 06:55:16 pm »
Remaining north of Paris seems to only add about 20km, and then you can pick up some Verts heading towards Dijon.