Author Topic: Spring Into The Dales/Leap Into The Aire, April 20th  (Read 3129 times)

Spring Into The Dales/Leap Into The Aire, April 20th
« on: 12 April, 2008, 01:12:42 pm »
Anyone doing either of these ? You should, superb organisation and routes. I'm not though, but I might go over and say hello.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Spring Into The Dales/Leap Into The Aire, April 20th
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:58:09 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I were considering this. We are going to a wedding in Gomersal on Saturday (evening only) and will be taking the tandem, but we're certainly not fit enough for that sort of climbing. I had thought about it but have seen the route sheet. It looks lovely but my arthritis is playing up like buggery at the moment and there's family duties to be done on the Sunday. We haven't ventured up north since last year's Lejog.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:45:25 pm »
The reason I am not doing either ride is than I am not fit enough for those routes. I may be able to manage LITA but not without transport to and from and I ain't got that ATM either. I am not fit enough to ride there, do the ride and ride home.

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »
Seconded about the route and organisation - both are excellent. Last year's ride had excellent weather too.

Just a quick note about a tandem on the SITD route, there is one footbridge with some nasty steps that could be tricky with a tandem.  LITA is a gentler route, but not quite as picturesque as Sprint into the Dales. Both routes have very generous time limits so getting round in time is not usually horrendous.

There's a Tandem Club social 30 miles from Ilkley to Embsay, which is aimed at families so I may be doing that instead with my daughter. If the contours do not appeal I am sure the Wows would be made most welcome on that ride if family duties permitted.

DanialW

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:36:35 am »
There's a Tandem Club social 30 miles from Ilkley to Embsay, which is aimed at families so I may be doing that instead with my daughter.

Ah! Is your daughter c. 13 years old? I remember seeing you both at the final control last year, in matching kit. I thought it was such a heartwarming sight seeing father and daughter bond over tandem cycling. It's one of those memories that'll stay with me for a long time.

Anyway, I'm doing this, in theory. The plan is to cycle over from central Manchester and do SITD. The weather, insofar as these things can be predicted, looks unlikely to match last year's sunfest. I've my first cold for over a year as well, so that may hinder my riding.