Author Topic: Today's SPAM  (Read 120775 times)

Re: Today's SPAM
« Reply #100 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:37:34 am »
'Happy holidays from HSBC'. I don't think so.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #101 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:42:05 am »
'Happy holidays from HSBC'. I don't think so.

Strangely enough, with the bank's genius for imitating spam, that one appears to be genuine.

« Reply #102 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »
Android tablet being heavily spammed, lots of adverts and random downloads. Disabling the download app stopped the random downloads, putting an add blocker on the wireless connection stopped most of the adds, the only problem is it takes about thirty seconds for the add blocker to kick in after the tablet's booted so a few adds at start up. The cause is a mystery at the moment, I presume I've picked up a nasty from somewhere but I can't find it, when I do find it I'm going to take great pleasure in nuking it.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #103 on: 31 December, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
Parking charge relating to 19th Dec which is at least a day my car was used.  The numerous smelling pistakes confirmed the strong suspicion.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #104 on: 31 December, 2016, 03:59:59 pm »
IME HSBC excel in sending spammy texts and emails which are in fact genuine.   Totally unprofessional.

« Reply #105 on: 09 January, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
I've just had a 'Nigerian' one, in Italian, claiming to be from Canada.  ???
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #106 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:36:33 am »
Good Day,

TENDER NOTICE

Sealed tenders are invited from experienced Consultants, Contractors and Suppliers for plans to build a new R11 billion Vaal River City, Midvaal Johannesburg. Yaetsho Investments and Project will assign the selected professionals after the tender process to deliver a powerful mix of international and local architecture in the Vaal River City development.

Tender documents can be obtained before the closing date from Tender Officer, Yaetsho Investment and Project.

See attached for more details.

Regards,

Yaetsho Investments & Projects

ICBA to check how much 11 billion Rand is in real money but I suspect it's not worth getting out of bed, or opening the attached document, for.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #107 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:51:24 am »
ICBA to check how much 11 billion Rand is in real money but I suspect it's not worth getting out of bed, or opening the attached document, for.

I'm pretty sure it's what the taxi driver attempted to charge me for the 10 minute ride between Sandton and Parkville in Jo'burg the other month.

« Reply #108 on: 12 January, 2017, 04:30:59 pm »
I'd get out of bed for it. Several tens of millions of these -

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #109 on: 12 January, 2017, 06:05:37 pm »
Oh darn, I forgot to renew my Apple account as per the expiry warning SMS received yesterday.

That'll be the Apple account I don't have.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #110 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:53:32 am »
An Andrew Baron has just sent an e-mail telling me 2M US Dollars was donated to me and to reply to an e-mail address.

I've done so and sent my bank details so presumably it will be in my bank soon. In the meantime I wonder what bike I'll buy first.....

(click to show/hide)

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #111 on: 25 January, 2017, 11:02:00 am »
This made me shiver

Hi Dear,

My name is Monique Frisson from France. l am 29 years old. l really need your assistance. My husband dead two years ago and the family members wants to kill me and my children to set on the inheritance he left for us. l am now in a hiding with my kids and the documents of inheritance is with us. please help us to have this fund transferred to your country and we will fly to join you

l will be waiting for your reply.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #112 on: 15 February, 2017, 06:23:07 pm »
If you're going to send me emails describing people who want to have various physical encounters on Valentine's Day would it not help to make sure they arrive before said festival and not the day after?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #114 on: 27 February, 2017, 02:38:01 pm »
Tricky words, spam and scam, they're almost spelt the same.

« Reply #115 on: 28 February, 2017, 07:06:27 am »
Tricky words, spam and scam, they're almost spelt the same.

Indeed but with the progress of voice recognition we are going to find not all spam is typed.

« Reply #116 on: 28 February, 2017, 08:21:02 am »
Indeed but with the progress of voice recognition we are going to find not all spam is typed.

Fair enough.  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone. "It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more or less."

« Reply #117 on: 28 February, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »

Fair enough.  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone. "It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more or less."

Electronic spamming is the use of electronic messaging systems to send an unsolicited message (spam), especially advertising, as well as sending messages repeatedly on the same site. While the most widely recognized form of spam is email spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media: instant messaging spam, Usenet newsgroup spam, Web search engine spam, spam in blogs, wiki spam, online classified ads spam, mobile phone messaging spam, Internet forum spam, junk fax transmissions, social spam, spam mobile apps,[1] television advertising and file sharing spam. It is named after Spam, a luncheon meat, by way of a Monty Python sketch about a menu that includes Spam in every dish.[2][3] The food is stereotypically disliked/unwanted, so the word came to be transferred by analogy.

« Reply #118 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:02:44 pm »
TalkTalk customers are being targeted by an industrial-scale fraud network in India, according to whistleblowers who say they were among hundreds of staff hired to scam customers of the British telecoms giant.

The sources describe working in "call centres" in two Indian cities.
They say as many as 60 "employees" work in shifts in each office, phoning TalkTalk customers and duping them into giving access to their bank accounts.
The whistleblowers say they were given a script in which they were told to claim they were calling from TalkTalk.
They say they then convinced victims to install a computer virus.

A separate team would use that virus to gain access to victims' online banking, they add.

In 2011, TalkTalk outsourced some of its call-centre work to the Kolkata (Calcutta) office of Wipro, one of India's largest IT service companies.
Last year, three Wipro employees were arrested on suspicion of selling TalkTalk customer data.

Wipro was one of the companies to which Aviva outsourced work, making many UK employees redundant (me included).  Later they found the Indian contractors were not giving them priority and the work was being done badly and/or late.  It was returned to in-house IT workers. 

« Reply #119 on: 22 March, 2017, 06:28:09 pm »
"PayPal"

"We need you update your information before Mar ,25, 2017
    If you not update your information before Mar ,25                   
    That mean you not accept our user agreement Policy             
    So we will disable your account after Mar , 25, 2017                 
    For update your account please follow blue link"   

Better not, on the whole.                   

« Reply #120 on: 27 March, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »
I love the email address
Dear Sir/Madame,

You are invited to take part in the 2017 global summit on global economy
and world peace and security. This conference Scheduled to take place from
[May 22nd to 26th, United States and Senegal from May 29th to June 2nd
2017]. This event is been organized by World Thoracic Society (WTS), The
sponsors of the event will cover the cost registration and delegates are
entitle to a free United States Visa arrangements by the Organizing
Committee.

That will include your transportation, feeding, round trip air tickets to
both events etc... Delegates will only be responsible for their own hotel
accommodation in Dakar, Senegal were the second phase of the event will take
place.

For details requirement for your Visa and registration, Please contact the
global secretariat office via Email: [gewpsecretoffice@yandex.com].

Please share the information with your colleagues.

Best Regards,
Mrs Fola Ajayi
Member global economy securit (MGES).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #121 on: 27 March, 2017, 07:48:45 pm »
DO YOU NEED A LOAN? IF YES SEND AMOUNT NEEDED DURATION AND PHONE NUMBER

Yes, just that :facepalm:

Here, spambot:  LOAD OFFER <garrywiltonloan756@gmail.com>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #122 on: 28 March, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »
Received today from h.hamid@iraqchildren.net

Hi, K****!

I am bothering you for a very urgent reason. Allhough you don't know me, but I have significant ammount of individual info on you. The fact is that, most likely by mistake, the information about your account has been sent to me.
For example, your address is:

I am a law-abiding citizen, so I decided to personal data may have been hacked. I pinned the file - ******.dot that that was emailed to me, that you could explore what data has become obtainable for fraudsters. File password is - 1994

Best regards,
Horace Hamidi

Anyone else been approached by this honest citizen?

« Reply #123 on: 28 March, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
We detected that someone logged to your account from an unknown device and browser.

That's why as a security measure we have to block your account to keep you safe from unauthorised activies.
was that you?

March 24, 2017 at 06:58 AM
Login place : Russia Moscow

If not please review this activity as soon as possible by completing some details to restore the full access to your account
Restore Access ↣

Sincerly,

PayPal Team.

if you do not wish to receive email from us anymore Click here to Unsubscribe
Should I offer my services as a proofreader?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #124 on: 06 April, 2017, 11:03:31 am »
Scam rather than spam:

Chum was on an organized cycling holiday in a hotel with free wifi.  When he connected from phone or tablet it worked fine, but when he connected from his laptop it (or maybe his browser) wailed and showed a message saying "Security compromised, call <number>". When he did, he just got a hold message.  Other participants had no problems.

My guess is that the hotel's wifi server had been hacked, and whatever narsty had taken residence was tailored to attack Windows machines but not Android; and that his laptop's firewall etc. were permeable but other folks' weren't.  And of course he might have a 50€ item on his phone bill.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight