Author Topic: Firefox bookmark icon  (Read 4294 times)

Firefox bookmark icon
« on: 30 March, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »
Firefox picks up a tiny icon for the pages you bookmark. For some reason ACF always used the BBC icon on my PC. YACF is using Ebays !
Anyone know what controls this and how to change it ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Lonewolff

Re: Firefox bookmark icon
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
This is normally set on the website you are browsing.

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:09:13 pm »
Then why the BBC or Ebay ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:20:58 pm »
Mine -  2.0.0.13 under Windoze picks up the correct bookmark icon at first and then later changes it to one from another site that's in my bookmark list.  For example my ACF bookmark show the icon for  Firstpost.com and my bookmark for www.iconclass.nl has acquired the Yahoo! icon - both od these are also in my bookmarks. I suspect it's just an irritating little bug.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:24:23 pm »
The Favicon to which you refer, is somewhat involved in the rather pointless (to users) but important (to multinational companies) browser wars.

In earlier versions of FF, the link to the .ico file needed to be relative before it would work. Now it would seem more or less, that it will work if you just bung the favicon.ico file in the root directory*

IE doesn't play to any agreed rules. Other browsers have varying degrees of correctness** as far as rules are concerned.

* If a Favicon isn't playing ball in your bookmarks - delete it and then re-bookmark it and then re-order the list and then click it again to get the message home! Usually works, but this interweb thing is a bit of a free for all...

** No current browser passes "The ultimate test" (of which there are many (contradiction , I know)) so don't get too worried about it....

Edit: ACF never used a Favicon anyway....

Edit2: Neither does yACF........

Edit3: It's all fairly unimportant anyway. Unless you really care about nice little images in your bookmarks....

Edit 4: Sorry for being so anal!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:41:52 pm »
With Firefox 3, I don't see an icon for either the current incarnation of acf or TOP, so I assume that there is not one for either acf.  In the past when I've tried to create Favicon files, I've found it challenging to create a useful 16x16 icon, but I believe modern browsers allow larger icons (not that I'm much cop at designing any icons).  If someone designs a suitable icon, Rogerzila, Charlotte et al may choose to make use of it.  Unfortunatley, I know I'm woefully inadequate at such things, so I won't even attempt it!

The Wikipedia entry on Favicon does have some information on how to convince browsers to use the Favicon, but also has the caveat that ensuring it is always picked up correctly is damned near impossible.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:51:54 pm »
I use Favicon Picker 2, a FF add-on, to sort out the wrong'uns.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:07:54 am »
It bugs me because I use Firefox's bookmark toolbar folder to keep a bar of my favourite,  favourites, ready to click at the top of the screen. While ACF should not have an icon it duplicates one from a different site.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:22:31 am »
I think the best favicon I've seen yet has to be "civvy" (from ACF) website.  http://www.oliciv.net/wp/

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »
I think the best favicon I've seen yet has to be "civvy" (from ACF) website.  http://www.oliciv.net/wp/

It doesn't change to anything for me :(

« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »
Using firefox?

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:35:25 pm »
It bugs me because I use Firefox's bookmark toolbar folder to keep a bar of my favourite,  favourites, ready to click at the top of the screen. While ACF should not have an icon it duplicates one from a different site.

That is weird, because I have the same toolbar system and I just get a default "blank" icon for sites without their own favicon, such as acf and yacf. I've never noticed a bookmark grabbing another random favicon before. Although I think FF3 automatically checks and updates bookmark icons. So a couple of weeks ago when Guardian Unlimited became us plain old guardian.co.uk, the favicon suddenly changed from the old red one to the new blue with a white g (to match the paper version's masthead). I never touched it, honest!

I have put a feature request into Dez for a yacf favicon; but I might go and make one myself when I get 5 mins.