Author Topic: Reasons for installing Nokon (fancy Bowden cable) technology  (Read 1078 times)

Sorry, this is a long explanation because it needs a considered answer...

I have installed a largish bar bag (Ortlieb Ultimate) on my drop bar touring bike, which has gear cables coming out of the brifters (Shimano 4700) that now are bent sharpish by this new bag. I considered the options (including under the tape shifters and waiting for the gear cables to wear though) but opted for Nokon cabling for the gears.

So I have put in the Nokon cabling for the rear gearing and it works very well. But to do this I needed to make space for the 'liner' at a couple of pinch points -I had to drill out the housing screw on the downtube adjuster and the plastic conduit under the bottom bracket.

I am now looking at the front gearing and this is where my question starts.

As I understand it, the three reasons for installing the Nokon system are:

1) to allow tight curves (as explained above, this is my reason)
2) crisper shifting
3) long, maintenance-free life

The liner for the front gearing is intended to extend to just short of the derailleur pinch bolt. To do that, I shall need to drill out the housing screw on the downtube adjuster and the plastic conduit under the bottom bracket, just as I did for the rear gear cabling.

Alternatively, I could cut the front gear 'liner' short of the downtube adjuster. No drilling would then be needed but I'd have bare cable between the adjuster and the front derailleur.

The choice comes down to understanding the reason for the liner extending as far as the derailleur.

Would you install the Nokon system as recommended or cut the liner short? Why would you go for your option?

Re: Reasons for installing Nokon (fancy Bowden cable) technology
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:15:24 pm »
to make clearance for the bar bag, I'd install V-pipes near the shifters, and use normal cabling elsewhere. You can get flexi-noodles which work quite well.

BTW from your description you have 'washing line' type STIs, in which case they are not ST-4700 model, which uses underbartape routing.  Possibly you have ST-4600? 

In any event 10s shimano 'road' shifting (except for 4700 which uses a different shift ratio) is the most finicky going; there is only ~2.3mm cable pull per shift at the rear.  Only having underbartape routing with that cable pull (as found in some 105, ultegra and DA 10s shifters) could be any more sensitive.   Whatever setup you try it is imperative that the assembly is as good as it can be, with slick inners, new outers and correct lubrication.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2020, 10:55:45 am »
So I installed the front gear cabling this morning.

I followed the manufacturer's instructions so drilled out space for the liner at the narrow points. It works fine but don't know, for instance, whether water will get into and stay in the space between the liner and the inner cable down below...

I still am unsure why they recommend extending the liner as far as the derailleur.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2020, 11:00:32 am »
To keep dirt and water out. There should be a sleeve external to the liner at the cable pinch bolt. That worked well on the Gore cables on the audax tandem.

I think the Brucey solution would have worked well.

I use Nokon shift cables on my Campag 3x10 Moulton but I am converting it to 2x11 Red eTap because it is still too sensitive. I trimmed the liner lengths to match the cable outers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2020, 01:13:35 pm »
You can get flexi-noodles which work quite well.

Very useful things, those.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2020, 01:28:27 pm »
^^^+1 :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2020, 02:16:07 pm »
Jagwire now offer a special cabling for complicated routes. Some of the latest “ aero” bikes, e.g. Ridley Noah, have very complex routes through bars, stem, around steerer etc. The new ( quite pricey) low friction and very flexible Jagwire cabling  has been developed for such challenges according to the bike manufacturers.