Author Topic: Met a guy this morning riding the King Alfred's Way, who was not on route  (Read 2810 times)

Had a nice chat to a young man on a gravel bike on the temporary bridge at Tilford, nr Farnham in Surrey who explained that he was riding the KAW and talked about the difficulty of some of the sections.  Asked if we were riding it on the tandem as some parts on the canal were very narrow.

Got home and checked and not only are there no canal towpath sections but the route doesn't go through Tilford.

Hope he manages it.

Confused!!

It's not far off the route though.

I'm attempting it this weekend and have a backup route of mostly tarmac if it's too hard going. Tilford is on that diversion route.  Honestly, I don't know what i've done to deserve the last 3 weeks of rainfall... The ground was drier in December!

*Sorry for the thread grave(l)-digging. I searched 'King Alfreds Way'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Our thoughts are with you Peat.

(Make sure there are photos)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oooo yes. Worthy of a full Ride Report I would think.
Rust never sleeps

Sorry chaps, not much to report.

Got a big slice in my front tyre about 15km in that I tried to seal in various ways. Didn't work.
Then a glacial traverse of the slopfest that was the Thames Path into Pangbourne where we realised it had taken us 3hrs to complete 25km. We were supposed to overnight in Winchester, some 170km later. So, we decided to can it and try again when it has dried out a bit or make it a 3 day affair.
Anyway, the return leg had 3x pub stops. So a good time was had. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I've thought about it but apparently the cakes en route are disappointing.

IGMC
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

*guffaw*