Author Topic: Danny MacAskill's latest  (Read 2832 times)

Danny MacAskill's latest
« on: 28 January, 2021, 10:26:51 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ym2F-tHdkk

I considered posting this in "never in a million years" but that sounds too soon, frankly.

Some good drone camerawork, too.

Re: Danny MacAskill's latest
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:04:59 pm »
He must be a pretty good climber too. As well having a centre of gravity about a metre behind him.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2021, 06:49:06 am »
I've just watched it, pretty impressive riding.  Do you think he walked up the route of the opening shot (shallow, grassy slope) then just "climbed" that bit for the camera?

The drone work, though is HORRIBLE.  The panning shots are way too quick and the shots where both the camera and the subject are moving quickly are Vertigo inducing and really difficult to follow.

I have to admit I have seen similar videos, shot in the '90s of riders like Hans Rey etc doing similar stuff in Moab and other rocky areas of the US.  That's not to say this isn't impressive, just not original.

Lastly, did you all see the marker rocks? A really good idea to make sure he is kept on course :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2021, 06:50:14 am »
And for those who didn't get it the music's the rather apt

No cars go by arcade fire

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2021, 08:47:33 am »
I've just watched it, pretty impressive riding.  Do you think he walked up the route of the opening shot (shallow, grassy slope) then just "climbed" that bit for the camera?

The drone work, though is HORRIBLE.  The panning shots are way too quick and the shots where both the camera and the subject are moving quickly are Vertigo inducing and really difficult to follow.

I have to admit I have seen similar videos, shot in the '90s of riders like Hans Rey etc doing similar stuff in Moab and other rocky areas of the US.  That's not to say this isn't impressive, just not original.

Lastly, did you all see the marker rocks? A really good idea to make sure he is kept on course :)
Oh yes, the drone work. Motion sickness inducing here.  I'll look for the marker rocks next time.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2021, 09:40:57 am »

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:01:03 am »
I hadn't spotted the markers, but thought he must have recced extensively, and picked a specific route
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:18:50 am »
Every video this gentleman puts out fills me with admiration for his bike handling. Brilliant. (But) Oh my eyes! Another 'aargh' for the motion sickness inducing drone footage. What I really appreciated was the caution he showed, instead of another hell-for-leather downhill video, it suggested that this descent made even Danny nervous. There were moments towards the end I was anxious for the grip of the sidewalls and that the bike wouldn't slide out from underneath him.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:38:38 pm »
I loved the drone footage.

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2021, 07:44:43 am »
Interesting marmite effect of that drone filming. No induced motion sickness here, to me it does a great job of conveying the astonishing achievement of what he is doing. Scenery, motion, challenge, risk - all elements that are difficult to capture on film.

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:58:59 am »
I didn't find this one particularly grabbing, but then I have been spoiled by watching Accomplice, on Netflix, the other day. Well worth a watch, and you have to watch the whole thing, because some parts are better than others. For sheer beauty, the section filmed in Ladakh is hard to beat, and some of the US footage is incredible

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:40:18 pm »

My understanding of the Dubh Slabs is that if you want to go up that way, you have to do them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:12:43 pm »

I did wonder if that’s what they were, or if they were just rocks that were lying around. The route must have taken a fair bit of planning.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:19:19 pm »

Walked up. The camera crew went up the gully to the side.

« Reply #14 on: 02 February, 2021, 08:52:21 am »
Every video this gentleman puts out fills me with admiration for his bike handling. Brilliant. (But) Oh my eyes! Another 'aargh' for the motion sickness inducing drone footage. What I really appreciated was the caution he showed, instead of another hell-for-leather downhill video, it suggested that this descent made even Danny nervous. There were moments towards the end I was anxious for the grip of the sidewalls and that the bike wouldn't slide out from underneath him.

The rock of the Cuillin (Gabbro) is so rough that I can't imagine a situation where grip runs out before balance.  Think the course nutmeg section of a box grater!  It's possible to lose skin just lightly brushing your hand against it.

I was moved to re-watch 'The Ridge' last night, and still find the section along Collie's Ledge far more terrifying.  That's not to say that riding the Dubh Slabs isn't impressive, of course!
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 02 February, 2021, 04:36:15 pm »

The rock of the Cuillin (Gabbro) is so rough that I can't imagine a situation where grip runs out before balance.  Think the course nutmeg section of a box grater!  It's possible to lose skin just lightly brushing your hand against it.

I was moved to re-watch 'The Ridge' last night, and still find the section along Collie's Ledge far more terrifying.  That's not to say that riding the Dubh Slabs isn't impressive, of course!

I was utterly relieved when he reached more level ground. Obvs we wouldn't have been watching a fail movie, but he does release outtakes and practice falls. My heart was in my mouth the whole way through.

(Think nutmeg section of box grater - that's a specific and remarkably helpful analogy, thank you)

« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:02:30 pm »
How they made the film<a href="https://youtube.com/v/8IdwtKlXZB8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/8IdwtKlXZB8</a>

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »

The wide angle camera exaggerates collies ledge somewhat.  The ledge is a relatively tame section, certainly when walking it. Having said that I’m a rock climber, ice climber  and mountaineer so may be my tame is terrifying for others.

« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2021, 01:08:19 pm »
The wide angle camera exaggerates collies ledge somewhat.  The ledge is a relatively tame section, certainly when walking it. Having said that I’m a rock climber, ice climber  and mountaineer so maybe my tame is terrifying for others.
LoL. I'm a slightly nervous scrambler and found Collie's Ledge OK, as far as I can recall... It's like the quote about the Aonach Eagach - "If you're a walker, it's a climb, if you're a climber, it's a walk."

« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2021, 02:01:26 pm »
The wide angle camera exaggerates collies ledge somewhat.  The ledge is a relatively tame section, certainly when walking it. Having said that I’m a rock climber, ice climber  and mountaineer so maybe my tame is terrifying for others.
LoL. I'm a slightly nervous scrambler and found Collie's Ledge OK, as far as I can recall... It's like the quote about the Aonach Eagach - "If you're a walker, it's a climb, if you're a climber, it's a walk."

This is true, but I'm b******ed if you'd catch me riding a bike along either!  :o  Topple over the wrong way, and you have an awfully long time to contemplate how much you regret it... :-\

As the chap who taught me to climb put it, in respect of soloing, "The rewards for success are outweighed by the penalties for failure."
Life is too important to be taken seriously.