Author Topic: Lower Age limit for on-road cycling?  (Read 2439 times)

Lower Age limit for on-road cycling?
« on: 05 July, 2009, 06:52:30 pm »
Hello all, first topic start here after lurking for a looong time; apologies if it's in the wrong section.

We're just back from a week-long family holiday to Brighton and London by train and bike, and Mrs Adon is looking for some clarification.  Is there in fact any factual basis for the occasional cries of 'that's illegal' we heard from pedestrians when cycling the kids through the middle of London on Saturday afternoon?  We were in convoy, me at front, son aged 9, daughter aged 7, Mrs A at rear, all hi-vizzed up, roadworthy and fit for the cycle between Victoria and Euston (which passed off without incident apart from the kids seeing some 'interesting' people at the Pride march).

Both kids have been in and on bikes since first going on child seats about 6 months old and cycle to school in Glasgow daily, 2 miles including some main roads, so they are experienced and relatively competent (although haven't yet passed any 'official' competency).  Sandwiched between us they're as safe as I believe we can make them . . . is there anything legally that a 'concerned' pedestrian or 'overzealous' plod can do to stop young kids, accompanied by adults or otherwise, safely cycling on the public road?  (I would have said the Queens' highway, but that was just around Trafalgar Square).

I've just had a look at the Highway code, on the Directgov website and various bits off, but can't find anything so I'm presuming that these are cries coming from ignorant people . . . but can anyone clear up this nagging doubt that I might be wrong?
Why not?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Lower Age limit for on-road cycling?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2009, 06:54:26 pm »
Bear in mind that those comments came from the sort of people who think we shouldn't be on the road because we don't pay road tax. Why worry what a non-cyclist says about cycling? It's like listening to a man's opinion about tampons.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2009, 06:59:31 pm »
It is completely legal.

Ignore them and keep up the good work.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:01:49 pm »
 :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2009, 07:50:41 pm »
Bear in mind that those comments came from the sort of people who think we shouldn't be on the road because we don't pay road tax. Why worry what a non-cyclist says about cycling? It's like listening to a man's opinion about tampons.

Thanks all.  And Kirst, that brings to mind a spectacularly crude joke I'd forgotten about.

*Heads over to jokes thread to post*
Why not?

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:44:12 pm »
Have confidence. It's not only legal but sensible. By the time they're old enough to cycle on their own they'll be experienced and safe road users. You're doing your kids a favour.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2009, 08:48:29 pm »
By getting them into doing regular exercise in a sensible manner, and reducing their dependence on motorised transport, you could be saving their lives from heart attack, diabetes etc.  So carry on!
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »
. . . is there anything legally that a 'concerned' pedestrian or 'overzealous' plod can do to stop young kids, accompanied by adults or otherwise, safely cycling on the public road?  (I would have said the Queens' highway, but that was just around Trafalgar Square).

I've just had a look at the Highway code, on the Directgov website and various bits off, but can't find anything so I'm presuming that these are cries coming from ignorant people . . . but can anyone clear up this nagging doubt that I might be wrong?

The simple answer is no.  There is no age limit (lower or upper) for cycling.

Well done for having the kids on bikes.  I just wish more parents did the same!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2009, 01:29:36 pm »
Some people seem to think that riding a bike on a busy road is suicidally dangerous

So placing your children in that situation, would, in the opinion of these people, presumably be infanticide.

I think that must be the conceptual basis for the "illegal" comments

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »
You are cycling with your kids in the best way possible and I'm very sure in a legal way.

I see people cycling with their kids on the pavement, hidden behind parked cars, while they are on the road. Where there can't see what there is on the pavement, be it bin bags, tree, people, broken pavement, gate open, car doors opening, pedestrian etc etc etc. How they are going to get little Jr. across a side road safely I do not know.

The way you are doing in it, kids sandwiched between adults, where adults can see kids and visa versa, you are all easier to see since you are a group. Simply the simplest, easiest and safest way to cycle as a family.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2009, 10:27:04 pm »
Some people seem to think that riding a bike on a busy road is suicidally dangerous

So placing your children in that situation, would, in the opinion of these people, presumably be infanticide.

I think that must be the conceptual basis for the "illegal" comments

I don't think so, because they'd call the police instead of nagging ;)

There's folk wisdom that it is legal for kids to ride on the pavement until they are X years old - we had a thread mithering over the exact age.  I think they're just taking the logical extension: that after X, they must be on the road, so before X they can't be.

Drivers take roads way too seriously.  It's natural since their only interaction is via a strict permit to operate a big machine, I guess...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2009, 10:39:22 pm »
Unfortunately there are some so-called Road Safety professionals who proclaim that no one under 10 should ever be on a road. A senior RSO told me it applied even when with their parents. Others will claim that no child should ride on a road without having undertaken a cycle training course.

There is a lot of ignorant bigotry out there. >:(

« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
In a pub on an evening out, I parked my bike outside in full view of the window. I tend to leave my rear lights on as it makes the bike easier to see.

I was told by a rather pompous woman last year that my lights were illegal as they were flashing.

When I asked her if she was familiar with the 2000 revision of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations and the standards of BS6102/3, she replied that it was all crap and I could kill her as she was an epileptic.

When I then pointed out that photo-epilepsy was only triggered by a flash of greater intensity than my lights, or at a flash rate of 16-25 Hz trigger limits, the reply was "How the f*** would you know?"

There was no way that facts were going to get in her way.......

People have ideas about cycling that are from their own prejudices and claiming "illegality" is a way that they feel able to impose them on others.

In this case I had a query about my Dinottes from a friend who is epileptic and had researched this, but sometimes fighting back with an equally made up "Law" is effective. I have no qualms about "So you ar familiar withe section 17 of the 2004 Road Traffic Act that permits children to cycle on the road - that is a little worrying"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »
Unfortunately there are some so-called Road Safety professionals who proclaim that no one under 10 should ever be on a road. A senior RSO told me it applied even when with their parents. Others will claim that no child should ride on a road without having undertaken a cycle training course.

There is a lot of ignorant bigotry out there. >:(

Calderdale's pissed me off one Christmas when he said that buying a kid a bike for Christmas was as good as killing them.
Getting there...